• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Procedure with Dr Feller 9 Jan '09

A

Adam

Valued member
Hi everybody,

Thought i'd put this back up now the forums have changed slightly..

I'm 23 from the uk and have been losing my hair slowly since about the age of 18 i've tried potions, lotions, nourkrin and now on propecia for about 10 months which while seems to be steadying hair loss has not improved it any.
I am also using the hair thickener fibres on the crown.

Well i'm tired of people being suprised when i tell them my age thinking i am alot older and having no confidence in myself i don't want to leave the house anymore i'm that low.

I decided the only way was a HT and so started looking about i contacted the Norton Clinic who replied with an idea of things and wanted me to go to a consultation. I was about to do this when i stumbled across a Youtube video showing a bad result and googled them and ended up coming here. Well i'm damned glad i did!! can't find anyone with a good thing to say about them."

So for the next few months (and a while before that) i have been doing research as i knew a transplant was the way i needed to go to make me happy and after speaking to many places i was overwhelmed by a)the help i recieved from spex and
cool.gif
the seemingly endless evidence of Dr Feller's work and so finally decided on Dr Feller.

The Dr suggested a 3,500+ graft which would involve making a new hairline and working backwards as far as possible with the safest amount of grafts avalible on the day.

I booked in for Jan '09 as this was the earliest Dr Feller had available (another testiment to his work i think) and with the deposit now paid and flights and hotel booked for the nights surrounding the procedure all booked it's all starting to become a reality and while i feel the tiniest bit nervous it's being far outweighed by the excitment i have that it's coming together.

I've booked flights with Virgin Atlantic as i've used them before and the time goes so much faster with movies and things to watch and the actual flights wern't too bad. I decided to stay in the Andrew hotel the night before and proceeding the procedure as it was a fair price and looks a nice place but will be staying somewhere in the city for the rest of the time so i can see New York in all it's glory (hopefully with Christmas lights too ) i am going to fly out 4 days before and go home 2 days after the procedure to get me relaxed and also use the trip as a mini holiday!

Blood works all done and all has now been paid for so i fly out tomorrow (tue 6th) and the procedures on Fri 9th.

Overall i'm really happy it's all happening I don't want to take away the pain of lossing hair from anyone else as it is a hurtful and painful thing for most guys that it effects i think but being my age it truly is upsetting to me and i'm just glad thiers places like this for me to do my research and people like spex and the rest on here to give information and people like Dr Feller who are skilled and can change things for people.

If any of you have any last min tips or tricks please do let me know!

I've attached a pic but i'm going to take some better pics pre op as the ones i have arn't great and i'll try keep this thread updated at least monthly
smile.gif

Many Thanks
Adam

Attachments

• MyHair(blanked).JPG
    MyHair(blanked).JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 1,255
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Adam

Thanks for posting and i`m glad you were fortunate enough to come across that Youtube video which imo saved you a lot of heartache.

Looking forward to seeing your surgery pictures with Dr Feller.

Have a good time in NY.

Cheers bm.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Best wishes for your procedure on the 9th, Adam. Looking forward to seeing your progress. Safe travels to you.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
yeah i second that good luck dude you will be fine;)

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
I've seen Adams results on another forum, he's keeping a blog.

A

Adam

Valued member
Hi guys sorry i haven't updated my progess on here i forgot the address to come back to here DOH!

I'll give you all an update a bit later today when i have more time!

Regards
Adam

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Hi Adam...

Good to hear from you... hope all is well and looking forward to your updates...

I am nearly one year post op (8th April) and will be posting some pics soon...

Tim

A

Adam

Valued member
Right here we go guys a few parts are copied from posts i've done on other forums so here we are....

I stayed in the Grand Hyatt in manhatten for the first 2 days i was there then moved to The Andrew for the night before and after the op and back to Grand Hyatt for the final night before i went home.

New York is an amazing city i absolutely loved it there even if your not going there to see Dr Feller I can highly recommend going to New York as it's an amazing and stunning place!

I'll just write a bit about the day for anyone going to Dr Feller so you know what to expect more.

I got to the office early about 7.30 and a few minutes later Dr Feller arrived, i'll be honest at this point i was feeling a little nervous, but he arrived smiling and joking with me making me feel instantly at ease we went into his office and we discussed what i wanted to achieve and he drew a plan out.

At this point the techs started to arrive I believe a total of 8 were needed for my session. We next went into the local anesetic room where i laid face down on a chair and the injections were given to numb the donor area this was not too bad but i can see why people say it's the worst part you do get a short sharp pain but this soon disapears i had a fair few of these going across the back of the head.

You then walk through to what i'll call the "working room" this is past the workstations for the techs where you sit in a chair and then Dr Feller with the help of the techs takes the donor strip which for me was about 30cm x 1.5cm i believe this was the part i wasn't looking forward to although you don't feel any pain you can feel a little pressure and the cutting noise is like someone cutting carpet but really it's all in your head and is over and stapled up in 30mins or so and Dr Feller was talking me through what was going on and reasuring me the whole time.

The strips are given to the techs and they do thier magic on them while Dr Feller adds anesetic to the recipient area again a little painful as before but goes quickly then Dr Feller made the recipent holes. You can almost fall asleep at this point you only feel a little pressure but there is no pain at all.

Now 2 or 3 techs start placing the grafts 2 placing and 1 keeping the area wet in my case the techs are really nice and were chatting laughing and joking with me which kept me entertained and also kept me at ease this goes on for a fair while and Dr Feller actually needed to add some more holes for me i believe i ended up with 3,600+ grafts in the end.

I was then finished about 4.30 and Dr Feller gave me some pain killers and i was on my way.

I want to thank Dr Feller and all the techs they are truely lovely people and made me feel so relaxed and were so caring and friendly they really made the day so much better for me than i expected it to be.

I went to the hotel with a fresh bandage added on the donor area i decided not to wear a cap as i didn't want to risk knocking the grafts and didn't really care who saw me and i did this till about sun only wearing a cap for the flight home.

I took the pain killers every 4 hours on the first night and setup my bed with 4 pillows to allow me to sleep upright at 45 degrees on the first morning i had some swelling on my forehead but slept the same way the following night and from then had no more swelling at all!

I also had no pain the whole time although now i am finding it a little hard to sleep as laying on the staples is a little sore and uncomfortable the best night sleep i had was actually the first night when i was still numb lol but the staples come out on mon which is 10 days post op so not too much longer.

Last edited:
A

Adam

Valued member
Sorry about the massive images above maybe a mod can sort them?

So yeh i'm here at about 2.5 months, got a little growth and it is quite little but i'm not expecting much at this point.

I still wear a hat when out but when at work or at home leave it off.

If anyone has any questions ask away!!

Ad

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
Hi

You will be sorted in a few months.

I am at 6 weeks now and know how you feel- it's a waiting game now!!

In one of the photos, there seems to be zig zags in the hair- is this a trick of the camera or where grafts have shed?

Cheers

timuk

timuk

Hi Adam...

Must say that its all looking as it should... you also seem very happy, I just mention that as I think the 2.5 month time was when I felt at my worst...post-op blues and all that !!

I had thought by then I would be back to my pre-op look... but was no where near it.... sorry, dont want to depress you...

Anyway, great to see your updates.... keep them coming..

Grow well

Tim

A

Adam

Valued member
beardy, which picture do you mean? one of the two month ones? Oh thanks for the kind words.

Tim, i'm trying to keep happy thoughts but as you say it's not the best i've ever felt lol I think because my boss at work (only 3 people in the office i work in) and my mates all know. They all ask to see it or if they just see me with my hat off they will say it's looking good etc and it's boosts me a little each time.

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
I wasn't being negative mate; don't take it the wrong way~LV. It was the 8 day post op pic.

Cheers

BW

timuk

timuk

Adam...

I remember people on forums telling me that it would not be long and I would look great... seemed like an age at the time.. but now it seems like time has flown past...

Only seems like is was Christmas last week... but now we are nearly in April.. where does all the time go ??

Anyway... keep the updates coming..

All the best

Tim