• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Repair plan with SMG-Dr Ron Shapiro

C

Celtic

Hi everyone!! I hope you are all keeping very well. I am a great fan of this site and have been silently researching on it for some time now. I have a scar revision plus grafts surgery with Dr. Ron Shapiro on 28[suP]th[/suP] April 2010. I would like to share my experience with you all as I believe it really helps with making decisions. Thank you to everyone who shared their experiences as it really helped with my research!

Unfortunately I have had two poor HTs over the last 3 year period.

2007 Irish Doctor 1000 grafts, the grafts grew, but angles were poor and the scar was wide.

2008 South Florida clinic 2200 grafts, very poor growth and wide scar remained.

My main reason for posting is to aid others with their research. I do not want to give the above doctors names and please don €™t pressure me about this. The south Florida doctor used to be recommended on forums but is no longer.

So here is my current situation. I am almost 25 yrs old, very diffuse thinner. Based on family history, I don €™t think my baldness would exceed norwood 5. 3200 grafts have been harvested already from my donor but the second surgery yielded very poor growth so I estimate I only have approx 1500 max grafts total on the top of my head. My scar at the moment doesn €™t allow me shave below blade 8 and the length of my hair makes my balding look worse. My ultimate goal would be to keep my hair quite short and have overall light coverage.

I began doing a lot of research for my 3[suP]rd[/suP] HT just under a year ago. I consulted with many well known clinics in North America. After my phone Consultation with Matt Zupan in Shapiro Medical I was confident in my decision. I €™ll always remember the opening of that conversation with Matt. I thought I would need only a few minutes consult as ive had 2 HTs previously. And wow was I surprised the consultation lasted an hour, gave me a lot to think about that evening and then we had another consult the following day. Since then Matt is great for answering all my questions over the last few months.

I am flying out to Minneapolis in 2 days time and looking forward to meeting every one there. Looking forward to see the Twin Cities too, and that huge mall and American food portions too!! J

From our consultation, the plan for this surgery will be to remove my wide scar, leaving a much finer one and put the grafts we get in my hairline. Then for my next surgery a larger amount of grafts could be harvested due to a finer scar and this will allow the doc to work further back towards the crown. When I meet Dr Ron in a few days I will know more but at the moment I am very happy with this plan of action.

Ok thanks for reading guys, I have attached photos and will keep them updated. I took the photos by the window today in sunny Ireland (rarely sunny and Ireland go in the same sentence!!) so they are quite bright but give a good idea of my situation. My photos are visible in my gallery link below. These are pre-op photos, my surgery is on 28 April 2010 and i will upload new photos then.

Cheers!!

Pre op pictures.

479_250708_130000000.jpg

479_250714_330000001.jpg

479_250728_340000000.jpg

479_250726_460000000.jpg

479_250720_550000000.jpg

479_250723_430000000.jpg

479_250723_440000001.jpg

479_250718_120000000.jpg

Surgery pictures from SMG

479_292114_470000003.jpg

479_292112_550000003.jpg

479_292114_470000001.jpg

479_292114_460000000.jpg

479_292112_550000004.jpg

479_292114_470000002.jpg

479_292114_480000004.jpg

479_292114_470000003.jpg

479_292112_540000002.jpg

Surgery details

479_292112_540000001.png

479_292112_540000000.png

Last edited:
janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi Celtic,

It's really great of you to post about your experience so that others can benefit, especially the repair cases. Anyway, I just wanted to say welcome to the msg boards and I'll soon be able to say, "welcome to SMG" in few days.

I'm sure you've taken care of our accommodations by now, but be sure to check out LQ.COM for your hotel stay too (5151 American Blvd). Their rates have been around 40% cheaper than Country Inn & Suites. Both hotels are right next to each other and provide same great services (free shuttles, free breakfast, etc). Don't hesitate to contact us if you have any questions regarding your stay in Minneapolis. Safe travels!

Last edited:
bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
hey dude welcome to the forum, looking forward to following you story... you have made a great decision going with SMG;)

warm wishes bullit

C

Celtic

Heya Janna! Thanks a million, i'm looking forward to meeting the smg gang when im over! Thanks for the accomodation tips. I booked La Quinta for a few days, looks nice and the refrigerator/microwave in the room will definitely be handy!

Bullit thanks for the encouragement! I actually wanted to thank you as your transformation gave me hope when i was really down about my situation! And sorry about the volcano affecting your surgery date, pity we could have hit an irish or british bar while we were there!!

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Celtic.

I`m glad you found the forum helpful in your research.

It`ll be great to follow your progress and see your surgery pictures etc.

All the best.

bm.

bullitnut

bullitnut

Celtic wrote:
Bullit thanks for the encouragement! I actually wanted to thank you as your transformation gave me hope when i was really down about my situation! And sorry about the volcano affecting your surgery date, pity we could have hit an irish or british bar while we were there!!

thanks dude thats a nice thing to say...its a real shame we couldn't have been there together as it would have been fun to have a drinkZ:BZ:B...im glad my transformation gave you hope mate as i know its a terrible feeling thinking nothing can be done;), you will be fine with SMG they will take great care of you, give my best to the gang

all the best bullit

more

more

Valued member
hello Celtic, i fear i'm on your same path. i had a FUT about a month ago and i fear my diffused hair will not end up being dense enough to cover the scar line.

C

Celtic

Thanks for the kind words guys! Im in the hotel now. Think im gonna have a cheeky look in the huge mall before my consultation with SMG this afternoon! And then i have the surgery tomorrow. Thanks again!

@ More- i looked at your pics, i wouldnt worry, i think your hair will cover your scar no problem. My problem is that the scar is too wide so it is visible quite easily. But your closure looked good, i wouldnt worry mate! all the best

H

hairtech

Oh you might get lost in the mall ;;D

Just kidding. See you soon when you get here. I am Tom by the way.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
More, I'd wait until your all grown out and any shockloss has gone before you start fearing the worst, if it doesnt turn so well then it can be fixed, but you wont know until your like 12 months post op.

bullitnut

bullitnut

hey celtic dude all the best for tomorrow, its a walk in the park my friend cant wait for the piccies;)

C

Celtic

Thanks so much bullit,really appreciate it! Met the whole gang today, theyre great! Such a thorough consult too, big change from my previous experiences!! be in touch real soon!

H

hairtech

Hours away from your repair Celtic... Anyway he came in today for his consult. He is pumped. Nice to meet you.

H

hairtech

Celtic did well today. I am sure he is recovering in his hotel room at this time. He will post soon...

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Glad to hear it, i`m looking forward to seeing how his scar revision will look.

C

Celtic

Hey guys, my surgery went absolutely brilliant yesterday! Doctor Shapiro was able to take out my wide scar completely, im soooo happy! We also got 1100 grafts as well!! The surgery was a super experience compared to my previous ones at different clinics!! Shapiro Medical Group used a massage and vibration device that massage the skin so you dont feel the injections, it was unbelievable. The injections were the part i feared from my previous surgeries. But with the messager and vibration device with SMG was amazing! I am going into SMG this morning for a hairwash and i will ask Janna for my photos from yesterday! I had a nice evening last night, i didnt have any pain and I ordered some dominos and watched a movie. I just wanted to give a quick update and i will post in greater detail when i receive the photos later. Im delighted and doctor Rons work looks so clean, which you can see when i get the photos. Talk soon guys, and thanks for the support.