• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

My hair transplant journey. Surgery performed at the Hair Dr Leeds UK, July 2020.

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
I noticed on some of the other pictures you have a few grey hairs on the side, could it be those getting picked up by the camera making it appear a bit patchy? Are you just going off the pictures as might be worth asking someone to look at it in real life, as they will be able to tell better than the pics I find.

As it sounds you are really concerned about it, you could always go back to the clinic for an updated view and even get a second opinion from another clinic as well?

I appreciate it's tough but I've seen a few examples of slow growers having results develop on until 18 months people do all react differently.
I did think about Greys, but as you can see on this picture where it’s a 1 blend, you can see the patches. Just regarding the white dots, I expected that and it was discussed, but it’s the patches that I guess I’m not pleased with.

Ive taken photos but I’ve also looked in mirrors to get a view on how it looks. The area I’ve highlighted is visible to the naked eye, plus some other patches,

Looking at the donor post op photo, would you say some of the grafts that have been harvested are too close? It’s the only thing I can put it down to. Some are right next to each other which I assume would create the thin/patchy appearance.

Thanks for your opinion on this, it’s really appreciated.

Attachments

• 4BD32979-6910-4702-91F8-7F9A978D5E87.jpeg
    4BD32979-6910-4702-91F8-7F9A978D5E87.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 315
B

Baldingman23

Valued member
I agree with Hoping for hair, I would call the clinic as I’m sure they will support you as it’s obviously bothering you. Do you use a regular barber?? If so maybe get them to give you there opinion as they will be used to your hair. My barber has cut my hair since I was 15 and I’m now 40. I asked him what he thought of my donor area and he said you can’t even tell any hair has been taken from it.

H

Hoping_for_hair

Ah ok - yep it does look like a thinner patch if it's not the greys and wasn't like that before. How noticeable is it in real life- has anyone mentioned it or have you asked someone's opinion? Could be that it's not something other people even notice?

Although it obviously bothers you and I know I would be the same. I always look for the "worst" parts with my hair and then find it's the only thing I look at, so then it's hard to get context sometimes.

I think it's best to talk to the clinic again still to see what they say about the extractions and your concerns. If your still not sure after that you could try and speak to other clinics for a second opinion?

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
I agree with Hoping for hair, I would call the clinic as I’m sure they will support you as it’s obviously bothering you. Do you use a regular barber?? If so maybe get them to give you there opinion as they will be used to your hair. My barber has cut my hair since I was 15 and I’m now 40. I asked him what he thought of my donor area and he said you can’t even tell any hair has been taken from it.
A barber I’ve been with for around 10 years recently left, but his colleague said it does look a bit patchy.

I’m at the clinic next week mate. I have spoken about it previously and it was recommended to apply Minoxidil. I’m hoping it’s just shock loss and will improve over time.

H

Hoping_for_hair

A barber I’ve been with for around 10 years recently left, but his colleague said it does look a bit patchy.

I’m at the clinic next week mate. I have spoken about it previously and it was recommended to apply Minoxidil. I’m hoping it’s just shock loss and will improve over time.
Fingers crossed for you and hopefully it will all come good

Hi @Kelvino1987

We look forward to seeing you at the clinic this week and assessing the progress.

As with all patients we stand by our work and will coordinate closely with you in order to achieve a satisfactory outcome.

Given that the donor area appearance is bothering you I would recommend not trimming the donor hair yourself and allow it to grow out a little.

Look forward to seeing you this week.

Regards
Sommiya

D

Danleon

Hi guys,
I wish some people would just hold their horses as an expression.
What do you expect.
To look like you’ve got a lions main on your head.
After 12 months is the time to analyse everything. I don’t know why people look for problems.
First of all a barber isn’t a surgeon even tho I’m sure they would like to be.
I had a transplant same dr and yes at times things can be patchy. But wait a few more weeks months and the real shredding comes.
Please please be patient. I didn’t touch my hair with any scissors or clippers for 3 months.
Let the hair grow/ recover. I didn’t want to tamper with any of it.
For reassurance, check out some of my pictures on my thread and look at the progression.
My hair transplant

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Hi @Kelvino1987

We look forward to seeing you at the clinic this week and assessing the progress.

As with all patients we stand by our work and will coordinate closely with you in order to achieve a satisfactory outcome.

Given that the donor area appearance is bothering you I would recommend not trimming the donor hair yourself and allow it to grow out a little.

Look forward to seeing you this week.

Regards
Sommiya
This is exactly why I choose the Hair Dr, because after care is everything in my opinion. Having the back up and support of a clinic after a HT is very reassuring incase issues occur down the line and if they do, knowing they are there to listen and help resolve the issues accounts for a lot!!!

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Comparing both it does appear thinner in areas which could have been caused by taking too many in close proximity. If you feel up to it you could shave it down to see the scarring. Then you’d be able to tell if some were too close to each other.

Last edited:
K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
Hi guys,
I wish some people would just hold their horses as an expression.
What do you expect.
To look like you’ve got a lions main on your head.
After 12 months is the time to analyse everything. I don’t know why people look for problems.
First of all a barber isn’t a surgeon even tho I’m sure they would like to be.
I had a transplant same dr and yes at times things can be patchy. But wait a few more weeks months and the real shredding comes.
Please please be patient. I didn’t touch my hair with any scissors or clippers for 3 months.
Let the hair grow/ recover. I didn’t want to tamper with any of it.
For reassurance, check out some of pics and look at the progression.
I appreciate your effort for offering advice mate but saying people should hold their horses on their own experience of a HT is pretty unfair and not your place. Everyone’s experience is different. It’s irrelevant if you got yours done at the same clinic - it doesn’t mean all patients will have the same or similar results. This platform is a space for people to share progress/lack of progress/results/concerns.

I have just come up to 12 months and this is part of the discussion in the thread, so your recommendation to give it 12 months to review, I’m not actually sure you’ve read the thread properly.

there are concerns about growth in the recipient areas, but the main part of the latest discussion was the donor. If I’m going to get a top up procedure done, which I’ll be discussing with the hair dr, I’m obviously going to need adequate donor. Whatever you wasn’t clear on, I hope you are now.

Last edited:
K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
Hi Sommiya, looking forward to it. I’ve done what you’ve said and I’ve left it to grow, it’s a 3 at the moment after checking with my clipper guard.

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
Update from today’s visit at the clinic.

Dr Arshad and Sommiya sat down with me going through my concerns and anxieties about the donor and in general overall progress.

Just regarding the donor, after Dr Arshad taking some pictures and reviewing them, the appearance was significantly better than what appeared in the photos I have taken. Dr Arshad reassured me that the photos I have taken are not a true representation of the donor he analysed. There was the odd dot/scar (which can be normal), and one area on the left side is what had been bothering me. However, Dr Arshad has offered treatment for this, given the area is still how it is come 18 months.

What we have decided on is - PRP treatment as well as laser hair therapy to start as soon as possible and also start taking oral minoxidil daily. What we hope is by 18 months the hair line and top has full coverage. If by 18 months this is not achieved, a top up treatment will be offered. If the small area of donor that I’m concerned with has not changed, Dr Arshad has offered to transplant beard hair, and has also offered SMP as a last resort for the donor.

In terms of a solution, I couldn’t expect or ask for anything more so I am really pleased with today’s discussion. Dr Arshad and Sommiya were both really pleased with the progress, particularly from my 7 month clinic visit where we all were assuming come 12 months id definitely need a top up. I think there is a lot of pressure/expectation to achieve optimal results come month 12 - but I think I just fall into the category of a very late grower. Dr Arshad noticed some really small hairs coming through so hopefully this will thicken up the hair line and top.

I’ll post 12 month update pics when I hit 12 months in a couple of weeks.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
This is great news kelvino, and is defo the support you want after a HT, not like some of the horror stories you hear of places that just ignore the patient once the process has been done and issues arise further down the line. Thanks for sharing the info the clinic shared with you today as this has made me realise even more that I’m glad I choose the Hair Dr for my HT!!

H

Hoping_for_hair

That's great news mate! Really pleased for you that it's helped and you have a plan. Like baldingman says, it's nice to see the team looking after their patients!

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
This is great news kelvino, and is defo the support you want after a HT, not like some of the horror stories you hear of places that just ignore the patient once the process has been done and issues arise further down the line. Thanks for sharing the info the clinic shared with you today as this has made me realise even more that I’m glad I choose the Hair Dr for my HT!!
That's great news mate! Really pleased for you that it's helped and you have a plan. Like baldingman says, it's nice to see the team looking after their patients!
Cheers guys! Yeah definitely feel more reassured. I don’t think there’s any other solution they could have offered. Hopefully within 6 more months I won’t need the top up. Fingers crossed the PRP and other treatment offered helps.

Has anybody on here had PRP, laser therapy or oral minoxidil? Curious to know what people’s experiences are if they’ve had these types of treatment?

Cheers

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kelvino. It’s good to hear your questions and concerns were addressed.
Hopefully, the areas that concern you do improve, if not, then restocking with some beard could be the best option.
Would it be possible to see the pictures the clinic took? Then we can compare them with your pictures.
All the best.
Bm.

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
Hi Kelvino. It’s good to hear your questions and concerns were addressed.
Hopefully, the areas that concern you do improve, if not, then restocking with some beard could be the best option.
Would it be possible to see the pictures the clinic took? Then we can compare them with your pictures.
All the best.
Bm.
Hi BM. Yeah I’m really pleased with the outcome. We have agreed I’m a very late grower, and with the other treatment offered, it could save grafts and prevent any further surgery being offered which is a bonus. I think I’ve put a lot of expectation on 12 months from the start, which maybe hasn’t helped.

I’ve asked Sommiya and will upload them once ive got them. Cheers BM.

S

smokeybacon

Hi BM. Yeah I’m really pleased with the outcome. We have agreed I’m a very late grower, and with the other treatment offered, it could save grafts and prevent any further surgery being offered which is a bonus. I think I’ve put a lot of expectation on 12 months from the start, which maybe hasn’t helped.

I’ve asked Sommiya and will upload them once ive got them. Cheers BM.
Hi Kelvino, glad you feel happier. I would like to see some clear images, and with your hair parted but if you are happy. I hope everything improves for you

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
Hi Kelvino, glad you feel happier. I would like to see some clear images, and with your hair parted but if you are happy. I hope everything improves for you
Hi mate. It will be exactly 12 months in a couple of weeks so going to post some then for sure.

My temples in particular don’t have the density/full coverage and a bit on top, it has improved a lot though, particularly since starting minoxidil in month 7. Here are some very recent pictures to show you what I mean.

Im happy with what the clinic have offered including treatment, they couldn’t offer anything more, and once I get full coverage and density, I’ll be 100% satisfied. I’m hoping PRP and other treatments boost more growth over the coming months.

E360D267-F53E-4555-8D75-6713A3C0F5C9.jpeg
096C0152-148F-4E6C-B711-CCA1A3F5C71B.jpeg
B2A8FB99-7210-4426-A202-1A1E20C114C3.jpeg

Last edited: