• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

My hair transplant journey. Surgery performed at the Hair Dr Leeds UK, July 2020.

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
I’ve just come up to day 7 post FUE and had my first wash with shampoos provided by the clinic. Got slightly panicked when I saw some hair come out with some of the scabs that came off. Think I thought the grafts were coming out along with scabs. I spoke to the clinic and they said it’s nothing to worry about and completely normal. The clinic have actually been brilliant from start to finish and always answer any questions I have, cannot fault them. But I just wanted to see if anybody else has had this happen? Think I’m just over thinking it.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
I was exactly the same as you when it happened to me. The clinic assured me just like you, I even done some research on it and apparently the part that grows the new hair should be will implanted and connected to its blood supply by day 5 anyway. So all should be good but I can see why people panic

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
I was exactly the same as you when it happened to me. The clinic assured me just like you, I even done some research on it and apparently the part that grows the new hair should be will implanted and connected to its blood supply by day 5 anyway. So all should be good but I can see why people panic
Thank you for your reply and reassurance with this. I think I knew I was over thinking it a bit!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
After 4 days your grafts are secure. Hairs that fall out after this is just normal shedding. All part of the process.

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
After 4 days your grafts are secure. Hairs that fall out after this is just normal shedding. All part of the process.
Thank you for the reassurance, really appreciated!

J

Jamie

Interesting and informative, got this to come in few days time and will be that bit more ready for it.

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
After 4 days your grafts are secure. Hairs that fall out after this is just normal shedding. All part of the pr
. I also wanted to ask, is it normal for the hair growth to look patchy even after just a week since the procedure? It kinda looks like 1 side of my temples has more density/more grafts added, but I’m not sure if it’s just purely due to shedding.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
. I also wanted to ask, is it normal for the hair growth to look patchy even after just a week since the procedure? It kinda looks like 1 side of my temples has more density/more grafts added, but I’m not sure if it’s just purely due to shedding.

I’m the same as you on this, when I look in the mirror my left side seems less patchy than my right, but again I’m putting this is down to shedding. Hopefully someone Can confirm?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Without immediate post op pictures, it`s hard to judge. One side or area can shed more than the other making it appear unequal. You may notice you have more scabs in a certain area, this is all quite normal during the shedding stages.

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
Without immediate post op pictures, it`s hard to judge. One side or area can shed more than the other making it appear unequal. You may notice you have more scabs in a certain area, this is all quite normal during the shedding stages.
Attached one here for you. The top isn’t immediately after - it’s a day or two after the op. The middle is coming up to a week before my first wash. And the bottom is today. I’m on day 12 currently. As you can see on the left side, it’s very patchy, whereas my right side is slightly patchy but not really noticeable. I do feel it is shedding, but I guess I expected the shedding to begin a bit later on and not so soon, as well as both sides to look a bit more equal.

F98FC64E-3655-4F36-9682-0D04E53B17DF.png

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
Just coming up to my 11th week. Will post a picture update when it becomes clearer as it’s a bit difficult to see on camera.
I did see some growth about 4/5 weeks in. But then it seemed to halt, like nothing was really happening, accept native hair growing. I think it has started to pick up with the proper growth phase, which would make sense if I’m approaching 3 months.
1 side does look better than the other (I’m hoping this sorts itself out). As I mentioned at the start of this thread, my left side of my hairline region and temple area looks a lot less dense than my right. My left side appeared to shed sooner after the procedure - I’m just hoping it’s nothing to worry about.
Donor area looks pretty good. Think there may have been some shock loss. I’m not sure if you can get shock loss in the recipient areas too? Where the hair line connects to the temple and the grafts overlap slightly onto native hair, both sides it’s slightly patchy and thin.
Looking forward to coming months though where I should hopefully see some decent growth. I’ll post pics for my next update.

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Kelvino. I missed your earlier 12 day update, apologies for that.
At around 3 months is when a lot of patients start seeing growth but don`t worry if yours takes a little longer. Some people don`t see any until the 6 month mark.
Density on both sides looking different does happen a lot. If the density was planted consistently it`ll probably be one side has a bit more growth or maybe a little shock loss. Shock loss can happen in both the recipient and extraction areas.
Try not to worry about it, time passes quickly and you should see the new growth soon enough.
Thanks for the update.
All the best.
Bm.

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
Hi Kelvino. I missed your earlier 12 day update, apologies for that.
At around 3 months is when a lot of patients start seeing growth but don`t worry if yours takes a little longer. Some people don`t see any until the 6 month mark.
Density on both sides looking different does happen a lot. If the density was planted consistently it`ll probably be one side has a bit more growth or maybe a little shock loss. Shock loss can happen in both the recipient and extraction areas.
Try not to worry about it, time passes quickly and you should see the new growth soon enough.
Thanks for the update.
All the best.
Bm.

Really helpful info BM, thank you. I’ll post some more pics when I hit the 3 month mark.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
No problem. It is worrying when you expect growth and not much seems to be happening or as in your case, one side is different from the other. Everyone grows differently. Patience is hard but it`s a must.

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
Just coming up to 14 weeks post fue with the Hair Dr. I saw early growth around week 5, but then it did seem to halt and has progressed not so much since. I had 2308 grafts all together. My left side temple area seems to be taking longer with growth. I know I have to be patient though so I’m just trusting the process and hoping I start to see it even out.

with regards to my experience with The Hair Dr, the team have been great, from my initial consultation until now. They have reassured me to not worry and allow time for growth to properly start.

Attachments

• A481C86C-898E-4522-99EF-94D6D10D19ED.png
    A481C86C-898E-4522-99EF-94D6D10D19ED.png
    334.8 KB · Views: 497
  • EC9C8C04-66E3-4B2B-80F3-18234B15B553.png
    EC9C8C04-66E3-4B2B-80F3-18234B15B553.png
    350.7 KB · Views: 431
  • 0AFD4915-F7F6-4E29-9647-6BD17016A6BE.png
    0AFD4915-F7F6-4E29-9647-6BD17016A6BE.png
    400.9 KB · Views: 496
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
3 months is considered early growth for transplanted hair, usually around 5-6 months post op is when you see quite a bit of growth. It's very common for one side to grow in quicker than the other, it should even out over the 12 month course.
The early growth you had could have been the grafts continued to grow, then they shed. Again this is something that can happen and is normal.

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
Has the growth kicked back in now on those temples?
Hi Duffman. There has been a bit more growth to be fair, but not a lot. I’m just coming up to 4 months, so I’ll post a picture update soon. I am a bit worried that nothing seems to be happening, but I know as BM said that it can sometimes take 5/6 months until you start to see proper growth. Just trying to be patient and got everything crossed!

K

Kelvino1987

Valued member
4 month update today. Pretty sure there is progress on my right temple. On the picture on my left temple, there is not as much progress as my right, but there are really fine hairs coming through now which my camera hasn’t picked up. Hopefully will be more visible when I post an update on month 5.

I am taking finasteride 1mg per day and have done for 3 years now, but would anybody recommend anything else that can help with hair growth? Shampoos etc? I’ve seen conflicting information on biotin shampoo whether it is beneficial or not. I do take a multivitamin tablet everyday which has biotin in it. Any advice from anybody would be mega appreciated.

Attachments

• 162F053D-2C37-4D27-B3EB-B03A2689ABAA.jpeg
    162F053D-2C37-4D27-B3EB-B03A2689ABAA.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 432
  • 545911FB-2127-42CE-8D8C-83E979D01DD8.jpeg
    545911FB-2127-42CE-8D8C-83E979D01DD8.jpeg
    157.3 KB · Views: 455
B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Looking good Kelvino, I’m the same as you my right temple is growing quicker than my left but I have read this is quite normal and Bigmac confirmed this in one of my own posts.