• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Scalp Laxity

J

JJ09

What is the best way to determine scalp laxity, if you positioned your chin on chest should you be able to move the scalp in an up and down motion at the back of your head?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi JJ09.

All i did was have my head straight and pinched the skin around the back of my head where your bump is.About half an inch of scalp is reasonable i think.

When you tilt your head your scalp stretches so i dont think this is a good way.Hopefully someone with more insight on this will answer.

bm.

J

JJ09

Thanks Bm, it would be interesting to know what is considered good laxity and how this is determined, especially for a patient that may need to travel.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Another way is to see how much translation or scalp movement there is when you place your hands behind your head and apply pressure and move scalp up and down. You want to see at least a half inch of movement.

NN

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
JJ09,maybe you could video the back of your head as you do some scalp exercises and pinch the layer of skin around the middle of your head.

I`ll try and do one and see how it turns out.

bm.

J

JJ09

NN

Thanks, when I keep my head level I manage half an inch, however when I tilt my head so as to touch my chin on chest, there is no movement, not much success with the pinch test however, I probably would consider my scalp to be tight.

bm

Funny you should mention videoing the back of your head, as after reading stephenl €™s reply on another question regarding miniaturization, he mentions using a USB scope, I was thinking how handy it would be to have one of these to analyze my donor area scars etc, much easier than trying to take pictures holding a camera to the back of your head.

Good idea BTW.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Dr. Melvin Mayer devised an instrument for measuring laxity. In fact, I've been trying to get ahold of him to find where we can purchase one. He contributed an article on the subject for the new text book Dr. Ron is currently working on. I'll see if I can obtain an excerpt from it.

J

JJ09

janna wrote:
He contributed an article on the subject for the new text book Dr. Ron is currently working on. I'll see if I can obtain an excerpt from it.
Much appreciated if you could, thanks janna.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi JJ09

Heres the video which shows me pinching the skin,the movement you can see looks lots more than i can actually feel.

Hope it helps

bm.

[flash=425,344]http://www.youtube.com/v/zA_vL1Z-QGU&hl=en&fs=1[/flash]

J

JJ09

Hey bm

Thanks for taking the time to post the video ¬b`

So, would you consider that you have poor (doesn €™t look like it), good or excellent laxity, would a Dr be able to assess your laxity from this video alone?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I have above average laxity.From the video a doctor should be able to garner my laxity.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Hi BM

Impressive laxity but density also, looks like you have got a nice looking head of hair.

I know guys who would kill for that!! Ok, at least maim or wound with intent.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Stephen.

I thought my laxity was just ok when feeling it but when looking at my video it shows a different perspective.As for my donor,last time at SMG it worked out at about 75 per sq cm,a little below average.

Hope the video helps.

bm.

Dr Arvind

Dr Arvind

Valued member
JJ09 wrote:
Thanks, when I keep my head level I manage half an inch, however when I tilt my head so as to touch my chin on chest, there is no movement, not much success with the pinch test however, I probably would consider my scalp to be tight.
Dear JJ09,
Please note that there are 2 distinct areas in the back of the scalp that you need to differentiate.

1. The safe donor area : This is where the scalp skin is adherent to the fascia below it. In this part, movement of the skull will make little if any, impact on the scalp skin. In medical parlance, it is the scalp at and above the nuchal lines. The scalp skin is adherent to the nuchal lines, therefore, when you touch your chin to your chest, there is no change in laxity of this area.

2. The area below the nuchal lines - a strip is never to be taken from the area below the nuchal lines. This is the area where, when you touch your chin to your chest, the elasticity reduces.

Trying to increase laxity of area 2 is not much beneficial as the strip is taken from area 1.
Let me know if you need further clarification.
Regards,
Dr. A

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Dr Arvind for your advice on donor laxity,do you have any diagrams or videos to illustrate this.

bm

janna

janna

Valuable Member
BM does indeed have very good laxity. At one point, I'm sure he had great density as well but with his previous 3 ht's else where, especially FUE procedure with DHI, his density measured around 75.

His video should help any clinic assess his laxity. Nice one BM.

JJ09,

Do you have the instructions on how to increase your scalp laxity?

J

JJ09

janna wrote:
JJ09,

Do you have the instructions on how to increase your scalp laxity?
No, however I have seen a video of someone performing scalp laxity exercises, I would appreciate further instruction, feel free to pm me or post them on this thread.

JJ