• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Shapiro Medical -Example of older work from 10-12 yrs ago

janna

janna

Invaluable Member

3 Session of 2000+gr = 6156 grafts/13,944 hairs total

between 1997-1999 - Dr. Ron Shapiro

One of our older patients who we have not seen for 10 years came by this week for a check up. We thought it would be interesting to share the results of his work done at SMG 10-12 years ago to show the longevity of his results as well as the quality of our work 10 -12 years ago. The patient had 3 sessons of ~2000 grafts between 1997 and 1999. In 1997, 2000 grafts was considered a fairly large megasession. Today it is somewhat on the smaller side. However, do you think the 3 procedures done a decade ago has stood the test of time? He is completely happy and does not feel he needs any more work. What he received is age appropriate and he's thankful Dr. Shapiro had the foresight to plan ahead into the future - even way back when.

As you can see by the "before" picture quality, the pictures itself look ancient and were not intended for showcasing as a before/after result online. The HT forums were in its infancy and the pictures were taken for patient's and doctor's benefit only. Of course the quality of the cameras, showing results online, and ht techniques have evolved for the better.

north country boy

north country boy

Valued member
HI janna this is a excellent result , most uk clinics cant do this today, its good to see pics like this to show people hair transplants can stand the test of time ¬b` NCB

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
This is a great result from way back then.It still looks very natural and has stood the test of time.I like the word longevity,nice synonym.A lot of doctors would be happy if they could produce this result today imo.

His second two HTs are when i made the mistake of going to Norton.

If only i knew then what i know now.;ss;

Thanks for posting this example Janna.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
yeah me two bm if only we knew......This result just goes to show exactly HOW GOOD and experienced SMG are. It always pisses me of when you see articles in the uk media about our clinics over here pioneering ht teqniques as it blatently obvious that the uk couldnt pioneer didly squat and its clinics like SMG that are true hair restoration pioneers that have produced amazing results for many years, and its great to see excellent pics to show this thanks j great result that only a small number of clinics could produce today ¬b`

Last edited:
Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
It's seems that although the SMG website has not stood the test of time, thankfully their HT's have. :T: Wow!! amazing HT results even back then, thanks for sharing, great HT. He looks a bit stoned in the third picture down. American's have been and always will be the pioneers when it comes to any kind of cosmetic surgery imo.

Last edited:
timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Janna...

I am just amazed at the quality of work when you consider how long ago this HT was done. I do not think there are many clinics out there that could compete with this level of surgery even today...

Tim

Last edited:
janna

janna

Invaluable Member
Thanks guys. It's great of you to appreciate an example of our old work.

I remember the first day I started working at SMG back in Jan of '96. There was a patient that came back for a 1yr follow up. I looked at his result with amazement because I had no idea there was such thing as hair transplantation until I interviewed for the job. The patient was beaming from ear to ear as we were examining his result. He had a session of 1500 grafts. He could have used another session if he wanted to thicken things up but he said he was happy just to have hair on top again. The result was very natural that he had options. I guess I knew then that I had found the right job for me.

Our surgical staff size of 5-6 techs back in those days were considered big. Dr. Shapiro always knew it was labor intensive and wanted to be more than just adequately staffed. We have 11-12 techs these days and more than half of us have 7+ years of experienced. We've come a long way when we used to think 1500-2000 was considered "mega". Of course as the session sizes get bigger and bigger and the incision sizes smaller and smaller, there's always new challenges as you try to improve all facets of surgery to get the best outcome. Dr. Shapiro is not one to sit back - he wants to stay ahead of the game so we have to keep up or ship out.

There are TV and Radio commericals here in the USA with the Bosley's and MHR (now one in the same) claim they are the pioneers of all new advances in HT's. It's unfortunate people fall for the fancy advertising just as people in the UK do.

N

NW5a

Valued member
Unbelievable ! In germany/austria there are some clinics, which dont get such results in this time ...

janna

janna

Invaluable Member
Hmmmm, I know which clinic you're referring to in Austria.......lol. Thanks for the comment.

N

NW5a

Valued member
Janna, i see there ist no evolution of practice in the last 12 years by SMG ? What ´s going wrong ? ::}{:

Last edited:
Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Ok. I don't want to take anything away from our other great clinics that post or make this out to become a raw raw raw SMG site, but this is certainly pretty damn amazing. Dr. Shapiro got his reputation because of being capable of producing results like this way back when others were still drilling 1/8 inch holes in people. Arguably there are a handful of clinics that have caught up and certainly some that agressively market themselfves, but how many of those that we consider to be "top 10" can produce results like this from 12 years ago??

This has been my stance with some people researching clinics. Sure, there are clinics that can give great results, but when researching please find those that have been reproducing quality results on a consistent basis for several years.

NN

Last edited:
janna

janna

Invaluable Member
NW5a wrote:
Janna, i see there ist no evolution of practice in the last 12 years by SMG ? What ´s going wrong ? ::}{:
Hahaha, good one! I'd like to think we've progressively improved over the years too.

Even though our average session sizes have slowly but steadily grown over the years, we didn't jump on the band wagon to do mega sessions until we were sure the grafts grew as they should. Even now we approach mega sessions with caution and on the right candidates. Our doctors stay abreast of all the newest techniques and instrumentations so that we stay ahead of the pack. With the ever smaller incisions, the grafts can be closer together and there's less trauma so the healing is quicker. We even seem to see faster growth in recent years. Besides our doctors, there are few doctors that I respect and admire for proactively trying to improve the ht industry as a whole for the benefit of the patients.

Cheers everyone!!!!!!! :) Z:BZ:B