• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Shaving Down for an HT...

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Shaving down...

To me (and maybe many others) shaving down was the biggest issue I had to think about before my HT...

I hated the idea... but... I had decided that I would go through with it as I believe that the best results could be achieved this way.

I have since seen very good examples carried out by various clinics that did not require the patient to shave pre-op.

I really do not want to have another HT... mainly because of down time etc etc... but.. I will also say that if I had a change of heart I would insist that I was not shaved down to the extent that this would effect my choice of surgeon. But then if I do have anymore work I think it would be very minimal... so could probably get away with it rather than someone going for a full blown large session..

I can see that having long hair..ie in excess of 3 inches of longer could cause problems for the surgeon... but how about around the 1 inch mark ??

Any thoughts anyone ???

TimuK

Last edited:
north country boy

north country boy

Valued member
Hi tim, i also think this is a big issue, as i would not have had a 2nd ht if i had to shave down, yes there is plenty of great results were people have not shaved down, i dont think it makes a difference the results are the same imo, i was on the plane the next day after surgery with no hat on, my hair covered the doner and transplanted area, the down time from work is minimal, :) NCB

Last edited:
Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Totally agree.

I've a job to go to and people expect me to turn up presentable to do it. I'd love to see my boss if I told him 'Hey, I can't see my clients cause I've had a HT and I'm shaved down but I'll look great when my hair grows back'.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
One of my own biggest issues was shaving down as i basicly did not want to look like Krusty the clown.

My hair was trimmed with scissors and this enabled me with the help on Nanogen after 10 days to get on with everything as normal.

I also am of the opinion that the results aren`t compromised either after seeing various results posted and reading patient feedback,plus my own experience.

timuk

timuk

For what I considered would be a "hot potato" subject... not many replies...

So.... BUMP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
the B spot

the B spot

Pick your Poison!
Some clinics have doctors and technicians who are skilled enough to work around existing native hair.

At Shapiro Medical we will do 2000-2500 grafts without having the patient shave down----obviously there are exceptions, but generally true.

I believe a clinic should be able to offer its patients both options, with the doctor reserving the final judgment on the best way to proceed.

The length of hair might be a concern---maybe Janna can answer that--I know once they wet it down, they have to comb through the hair, but I think more than length of hair, maybe the density of the native hair is the issue.

Unfortunately I did not have this problem =(
However, if Dr. Ron ever offers to shave your head for surgery.......RUN!!!!! [):h::

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Personally I believe that for the most optimal results it is probably best to shave down. That is not saying that you can't have fantastic results without it as I had almost 2900 with only shaving a small area. I can't obviously put a number to it but I would guess that if something is 100% with shaving, it might be 95% with not shaving---I am just using this as an example and obviuosly couldn't ever support my claim but I think you get my jist.

Now what percentage of patients seeking a HT don't want to shave down? I would have to think that this figure is very large. Ofcourse it won't matter for a NW5-6 as they have nothing to shave but for others it becomes a huge issue. If I could hide in the jungles of Borneo for a couple of months post HT it would be a no brainer, but since I have a life and job that requires interaction with people, shaving is a huge factor.

I have seen a couple of examples of females(with diffuse patterns) that had work done by clinics that require shaving yet she wasn't shaved? Evidence that exceptions are made--damn feminist movement.:) But, it also shows that the docs are pretty damn confident that quality work can be done without it.

NN

north country boy

north country boy

Valued member
Hi NN i think i would have to disagree with your first sentence of optimal result is to shave down, but would agree it dont matter if your a high nw 4-6, if your a nw 2,3 or even starting a 4 or even a diffused thinner and you shaved that area down, and you get bad shock loss around the scar area then you cant shave down that area, you would have to leave the hair long and the rest is short on top you will look like a circus clown for at least 3-4 months as you wait for the hair around the scar to grow back, i think i know were your coming from of a chance of lossing some of the grafts if you dont shave but in the hands of a good doc then it shouldnt be a prob,JMO :) NCB

timuk

timuk

Hi all...

So... apart from patients who are high up on the Norward scale and therefore shaving down is not an issue... it seems to boil down to ...

1) The amount of down time available to a patient.
2) The skill of the surgeon.
3) The number of grafts wanted in a single procedure.

Therefore... if downtime is an issue then the best course of action is to find the right surgeon who is able to perform without shaving down but accept the fact that you may have to increase the number of procedures to achieve your ultimate goal...

I wonder how many guys do delay or even give up on an HT for this very reason alone... In my opinion I believe that its quite a large number..(and also the opinion of NN... but sharing the same brain means that tends to happen more times than is comfortable)..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If there are any guys reading this who have or are putting off an HT because of the "shaving down issue" it would be great to hear from you.

Tim

Last edited:
Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Great question Timbo. I am one that might still be messing around dreaming of a HT if I wasn't able to proceed without shaving down. The logistics of it all is pretty challenging and daunting for people in certain professions.

I have a friend that is a broadcaster for a hockey team. He has joked before about wanting a HT but in all reality it would be challenging for him to do it. I am sure that colleagues and bosses might not be cool with the Bozo look on camera. Certainly he could do it in the off season but even then he does interviews, etc. I guess if he really wanted it he would find a way but its not easy. Likely he would have to fess up to his boss to accommodate the time off.

I am sure with the way the economy is you will start to see some of the clinics that require shaving down adopt a new policy. All of a sudden "results are not compromised..." Just wait.

NN

timuk

timuk

NN...

Your last point does raise a question....

I know that many industries have been and are being badly effected by recent events.... I wonder if the HT clinics are starting to see this ?

Though I will say that in my industry the "good" companies do seem to be hanging on quite well...

Tim

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Most definitely they have been. But as you stated, recessions make companies better. Sometimes it is a good thing. You no longer can place an open sign and expect big profits. It all comes down to service. Those that shine at providing a great product at a reasonable price and do so with exceptional customer service will be OK. Those others slowly disappear and this helps further strengthen the elite.

NN

Last edited:
timuk

timuk

NN...

To be honest our order book is full... but the one thing I have always done is ensure we have great customer service, charge a very fair price for what we do and always deliver the end product to a high standard... there have been many times when we could have overcharged a client and gotten away with it... but I never have....

It will be interesting to see the aftermath of this "crunch"... a couple of years away yet..

Tim

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
You have perfected the recipe for success. No need to worry Tim. If you go you'll be the last to fall.

NN

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Be good to see some high magnification pictures of hair shaven down,trimmed down and hair left untouched to see what the doctor and techs actually see.

A

Aspinal

How many drs don`t require you to shave the recipient area when having surgery. Surgery is my only option now as ive exhausted all other avenues...having my head shaved scares me,this alone puts me off. Is there a list compiled anywhere for my perusal. Meant to post on this topic originally but cannot edit my other post.

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
I don't think there is 'a list' as such.

This is really part of your client research - from what I've gathered over my research is that different surgeons work in different ways. Some feel it it essential to shave down to ensure the best results, other surgeons seem more willing to work around shaving - depending on the scale of the work required - there is a limit to what can be done with existing hair there I believe.

One of the reasons I have opted for Dr Ron Shapiro to do my work in April 09 is that they seem to have an awareness that clients have a life outwith their Hair Transplant procedure and will do all they can to minimise this impact - i.e. care with the trimming down and an eye to minimising shockloss where possible.

Obviously there are no guarantees with these kind of operations so you can only place yourself in the hands of the number of top surgeons out there and keep your fingers crossed... Well that's how I feel and I've been looking into this for a few year now - but I'm not an expert.

Baldspot

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Aspinal

Welcome to the forum.

As Baldspot pointed out,there is no list that i know of and you will need to research individual doctors to see which ones dont require it.

Maybe you can compile a list for us.:)

Cheers bm.

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
I had my hairline shaved about 1 cm, but I am sure that if I had pushed it, the Dr would have not shaven the hair. Thankfully, I can more or less hide the work now, and when I am back at work in 7 days, it should be OK. It will just look like a crap haircut for a bit. (nothing new there then)

But just to advise that even shaving a small amount on the hairline DOES make a cosmetic difference, as you are undercutting the hair, so there is a need to grow the hair longer than you think.

Cheers

BW

TOMMYTWO

TOMMYTWO

Valued member
does not shaving down impair the quality/density of a HT or is it just a time issue for the doctors/staff?

I mean Is the fact that SMG only go to 2500 without shaving down purely a time issue or are there other factors to be considered?