• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

SMP removal to get Hair transplant.

C

CrankySysadmin

Valued member
Hi All,

I have been lurking in the forums for a couple of weeks now and I am planning on getting a Hair transplant, from my own research and looking into various posts and results the Hair Dr is looking appealing. Whilst I haven't made contact with the hair Dr at this moment in time I do plan to soon. I am currently a NW3 with recession at the temples only which did become difficult to style and would involve the barber leaving just behind the temple regions slightly longer to cover the recession.

Ultimately I started to get really annoyed with the constant battle of trying to style my hair to cover the recession, so I looked into scalp micropigmentation. I had this done coming up 2 years in August and haven't experienced anymore recession since then and while it has been nice to just shave my head every 2 days and not care about my hair, looking in the mirror you are very much still a bald looking guy and it isn't really a look I am happy with anymore. I have contacted a reputable SMP laser removal company a little south from me and booked in to get it removed next month ( According to the practitioner I am in his top 5% of how easy the procedure will be) so hoping all goes ok. All being well and the area has healed nicely I will contact the hair Dr and start to make head way with it.

Couple of questions.

1. Does anyone know the current wait time from initial contact to actually getting the procedure done with the hair Dr, I know this will vary greatly depending on his workload but looking for recent experiences.

2. From my pictures does anyone have any ideas of how many grafts it would require for a nice rounded/straightish NW2 hairline.

Thanks all and stay safe.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210519-004937_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-004937_WhatsApp.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 173
  • Screenshot_20210519-004959_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-004959_WhatsApp.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 162
  • Screenshot_20210519-005020_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-005020_WhatsApp.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot_20210519-005036_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-005036_WhatsApp.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 148
  • Screenshot_20210519-005058_WhatsApp.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-005058_WhatsApp.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 169
  • Screenshot_20210519-005135_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-005135_Gallery.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 161
  • Screenshot_20210519-005150_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210519-005150_Gallery.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 20210518_164532.jpg
    20210518_164532.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 178
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Are you sure you need the SMP removed? It doesn`t look bad and would help with the illusion of density if you did have a HT.
I would not lower your hairline, keep it as is. You`re probably looking at 1000-1500 grafts depending on the density.
How old are you?
It`s worth considering Finasteride to prevent any future loss.
I would contact the clinics you like asap before you go through with SMP removal.

C

CrankySysadmin

Valued member
Cheers Bigmac. I'm 31, I have considered the thought of a HT straight over the SMP. Being 31 I feel the shape of the SMP looks false for my age and I fear a HT with the same shape is going to be a give away and unnatural looking. I'm abit unsure now you've said it though lol

M

mania

Yes the SMP not very bad it's can be very good for you as well.

C

CrankySysadmin

Valued member
Was your hairline lowered with the SMP?
Yes by around 1-1.5 cm. I had a consultation with The Hair DR and I am booked in for middle of June. SMP is staying in place for now as the Hair DR said keep it for now and then get any parts that are too low Lasered off, as overall it will give a thicker appearance within the HT. Excited and nervous!

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Could you not just have a consultation and agree on a hairline design and then get the SMP removed in just the hairline area as I think the SMP could really complement the HT and create a look of greater density and you will have the added bonus of being able to shave real close should you ever want to in the future if say the weather gets really hot or something.

Ultimately it's your choice dude but lots of people have SMP and FUE together.

C

CrankySysadmin

Valued member
Thanks @bullitnut . The HT won't cover the SMP fully on the hairline as it will look daft. I've no issue getting the SMP Lasered off after the HT where it's needed on the hairline say 3-6 months after the procedure. My only concern is if the laser kills the follicles. Reading up online the wavelength for SMP doesn't go deep enough to destroy follicles but it's still a concern. Time has been booked off work and I have my HT booked for 2 and a bit weeks, so lasering off part of the SMP isn't an option. I'm in abit of a situation where do I just go for it. Alternative is to rearrange everything and push it back a couple of months which I don't want to do. Unsure

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Yes by around 1-1.5 cm. I had a consultation with The Hair DR and I am booked in for middle of June. SMP is staying in place for now as the Hair DR said keep it for now and then get any parts that are too low Lasered off, as overall it will give a thicker appearance within the HT. Excited and nervous!

Sounds like a good game plan to me. Have you an idea how many grafts you’ll need?

C

CrankySysadmin

Valued member
Sounds like a good game plan to me. Have you an idea how many grafts you’ll need?
Thanks Bigmac. 2000 I am having done.I will update my progress. Just praying it's successful and worth the money (like everyone else does lol)

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
That's what I meant with my previous post on this thread....sorry didnt read this post of yours fully, but seems both plans are the same lol... my previous post basically meant leaving the SMP and getting any of the SMP that's too low lasered off after the HT....probably didn't articulate my suggestion in a good way dude sorry.....good luck with the HT.