• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

strip/buzzcuts

S

solar panel

Valued member
Hi all ,

Is it possible to have a strip procedure and still sport a #2-3 buzzcut? would particularly like to hear from SMG patients who buzz there hair this short in the doner region.

Janna have you any examples of any patients that sport this look?

Cheers

SP

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi SP,

Generally, we tell our patients that they can cut their hair in the back to 1cm length after a strip procedure. Some patients will be able to go shorter but the 1cm length covers just about everyone. Most patients do not sport a very short buzz cut and patients do not send pics of their donor area to us so we don't have examples.

However, we had one patient last year stop by with a buzz cut. From the picture, it kind of looks like you can make out the scar, but in person, the scar was very hard to find. I believe he buzzed his hair to #4 or #3. He probably could get away with buzzing down to #2.

Attachments

• Slide2.JPG
    Slide2.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 2,990
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I get my hair cut to a #3 and my smg scar is slightly visible still on the left side of my head where Norton did his handy work.

Maybe i`ll get some more fue there as the ones i had tested in the area all seem to have grown.

bm.

north country boy

north country boy

Valued member
i cut my down to 2cm at the sides and back not sure what that is on the shaving range, which im happy with, could go shorter, prob down to 1cm but no need, a grade 2-3 i think would be pushing it imo NCB

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Now that I actually have hair, the last thing I want to do is some short buzz cut ;)...FWIW though, the last time I buzzed my sides down ( a couple months ago) i couldn't really see my scar; it was essentially a non-issue.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
I'm hoping to go short all over once my HT journey get finished early next year.

S

solar panel

Valued member
Hi Janna,

Thx for the pic i can't see any hint of a scar,looks like he's buzzed down to a #3 which is excellent, BTW 1cm is slightly longer than #3 on clippers.

Incidentally if i was to do a informal on-line consult with SMG whats the optimal length of hair,lighting conditions for a accurate estimate? also would it be possible to guesstimate my doner density from a clear pic?

cheers

SP

S

solar panel

Valued member
Bigmac wrote:
I get my hair cut to a #3 and my smg scar is slightly visible still on the left side of my head where Norton did his handy work.

Maybe i`ll get some more fue there as the ones i had tested in the area all seem to have grown.

bm.

Thx BM ,

Do you think if u had been to SMG 1st then fue'd the scar you could buzz down to a #2

thx

SP

S

solar panel

Valued member
north country boy wrote:
i cut my down to 2cm at the sides and back not sure what that is on the shaving range, which im happy with, could go shorter, prob down to 1cm but no need, a grade 2-3 i think would be pushing it imo NCB

Thx NCB,

SP

janna

janna

Valuable Member
solar panel wrote:
BTW 1cm is slightly longer than #3 on clippers.

Oh ok, thanks for that info.

It's pretty tough to estimate one's donor by pics. Perhaps you can also state what caliber type of hairs you have and also the color. Shorter the hair the better in determining your donor density....we buzz with no guard a cm2 to take a pic and actually count each FU when a patient is here for surgery. Of course it's always easier to estimate donor density when viewing donor site in person but we can give you a rough estimate.

S

solar panel

Valued member
NotGoing2GoBald wrote:
Now that I actually have hair, the last thing I want to do is some short buzz cut ;)...FWIW though, the last time I buzzed my sides down ( a couple months ago) i couldn't really see my scar; it was essentially a non-issue.

Hey NG,

How short did you buzz it? must have been only a couple of months after you HT with H+W.any pics?

My plan is your back up plan so we could help each other out here, all you have 2 do is buzz them envious locks off lol

SP

S

solar panel

Valued member
Sparky wrote:
I'm hoping to go short all over once my HT journey get finished early next year.H

Hey sparky,

Thats my aim less is more approach,how many procedure have you had,are you almost striped out?what NW are you? would love to see some pics.

Cheers

SP

S

solar panel

Valued member
janna wrote:
solar panel wrote:
BTW 1cm is slightly longer than #3 on clippers.

Oh ok, thanks for that info.

It's pretty tough to estimate one's donor by pics. Perhaps you can also state what caliber type of hairs you have and also the color. Shorter the hair the better in determining your donor density....we buzz with no guard a cm2 to take a pic and actually count each FU when a patient is here for surgery. Of course it's always easier to estimate donor density when viewing donor site in person but we can give you a rough estimate.

I buzz down no guard so thats not a problem,how long would the top need to be to get a accurate read on the situ?

J Where is the next ISHRS meeting taking place would SMG be attending,would i be able to get a in person consult there?

Thx

SP

janna

janna

Valuable Member
I didn't mean you needed to buzz with no guard in order for us to assess your donor. We have a special attachment on our camera to take such pic of a cm2. If buzzed too short- it'd be almost impossible to tell, especially if you have light color hair.

The next ISHRS meeting will be in Boston next October. Yes, we will be attending. Where are you located....assumed you're in UK. There are meetings/conferences all over the world so you never know.

When we do an over the phone consult, these are the type of photos we'd like to get from prospective patients.

1. Frontal view straight on with hair combed back.
2. Right and left lateral view with hair combed back and away from the hairline.
3. Top view taken from the front, while you look down, placing your chin to your chest.
4. Posterior view of the crown, take from behind while you look up toward the ceiling.
5. Close up Donor with hair combed up.
Examples:

Attachments

• clip_image001.jpg
    clip_image001.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 672
S

solar panel

Valued member
Thx Janna,

TBH my donor does'nt look that dense to me but perhaps i'm wrong i have light coloured hair so maybe thats why.

Would outdoor natural light be the best to take pics in?

SP

Last edited:
S

solar panel

Valued member
J,

Out of interest have you any after Pics of this patient?

Thx SP

Attachments

• SMG.jpg
    SMG.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 701
Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
solar panel wrote:
Thx BM ,

Do you think if u had been to SMG 1st then fue'd the scar you could buzz down to a #2

thx

SP

Who knows as any scar can stretch,however if i`d went to SMG all those years ago i would have had a much better chance of having a very fine scar and no need to have fue.

bm.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
SP,

It doesn't matter whether it's outdoor or indoor lighting. What's important is clear pics at a reasonable distance - like in the example. I will see if I can locate the patient's name to search for his pics.

You can send your pics to [email protected] - and then we can look into setting up a consultation. Do you happen to have skype?

K

khair

It is hard to make out the strip scar in the picture. I would say that the individual has buzzed his hair down to a #3.

This would be a good length to keep the hair if you want it to be short and also hide a strip scar.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
I'm gonna post pics once I'm done. I'm barely a NW2 with no diffuse thinning, I didnt need an HT in the first place, I was a dont look before you leap 22 year and scumbag Norton took advantage of that.