• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

The Big 3 to Fight Hair Loss

K

KLB

Ok people, been on 1mg Propecia every day for 4 years. Using Minoxidil 5% once per day. Using Nizoral 2% twice a week. No supplements. Eat a healthy balanced diet.
Quite a big shed at month 5. My gains started around month 7. Hair improved with added density and stability.

My partner and I are planning to start a family early next year but she is freaking out about the warnings of Propecia to unborn children. I was thinking it may be safer if I switch to RU58841 which apparently has less chance of side effects. I don`t have any sides with my current regime.

I don`t want to lose what I`ve gained if I can help it. A new life is precious and more important than hair but if I could find a compromise I`d be happy.
Has anyone switched over successfully and have you started a family while being on any of the medications?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi KLB.
I had my second child while taking Finasteride. He is fit and healthy. I know many others do stop using it while trying to conceive. RU58841 has not been FDA approved and as far as I know, there aren`t any full clinical studies on possible side effects. As far as I`m aware you can use it as long as your partner does not come into contact with it.
I would double check with a doctor.

Reactions: KLB
bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Finasteride is definitely the most effective and most proven... if you are worried about conceiving and any problems that might affect the child I would have a chat with your doctor or just stop the Finasteride and hope you conceive quickly.
As far as I know you`re ok to continue with Minoxidil.

Last edited:
Reactions: KLB
K

KLB

I’m leaning towards stopping it with the hope of conceiving quickly. My GP has advised that I stop usage for 2 weeks before trying to conceive.

I’m going with his advice. Bringing a new life into the world is more important than my hair. I’m hoping we are successful relatively quickly which will enable me to jump straight back on.
I am continuing the use of Minoxidil. With that and Nizoral I’m hoping that I don’t lose much ground.