• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Thinking of a Beard Transplant

B

Bald Beard

I've never been able to grow a decent beard, it just doesn't happen. It is patchy and sparse at best after a few weeks growth and looks quite sorry. I've been browsing the various websites looking at the options available. They all seem to involve scalp hair grafted to face and neck but I was wondering would chest or back hair work as well? I have an abundance of it and could easily spare 1000s of them for a full beard. I'd rather use these and leave my scalp untouched. I'm in my late 20's with a baby face, so everyone tells me. I think a nice full beard would give a more mature look and I do like the modern style beard fashion.
Has anyone had a body to beard transplant? If so, I'd love to see what it looks like.

K

Kevboy

I`m no expert but don`t see why it would not work, plenty of people have it transferred to their heads. I did read a post by Sean who says if you are using Finasteride it may kill off your body hair transplants, again I don`t know anything about this but you may want to ask a doctor about it.
I`m not a beard fan, if I had the cash I`d have them all stuck on my head and never shave again.

HairDr Clinic

HairDr Clinic

Valued member
Hi @Bald Beard, it is possible to use other body hair areas such as the chest, back etc to reconstruct a fuller beard. As @Kevboy pointed out body hair can be susceptible to finasteride use. If you are using finasteride maybe monitor the quality and growth of your body hair, and if thinking of starting give it around 6 months plus to monitor any potentially negative effects on your body hair. Like any medication it´s not 100% so it does not mean you will suffer just because it maybe a side effect.

Body hair, chest, back ec needs to resemble and match closely your beard hair in characteristics. Otherwise they won´t blend and especially if you are rebuilding areas of no hair it would create an odd pattern of different hair qualities. This is less obvious when adding density to already populated areas. As a result, matching aspects such as colour, coarseness, curl need to be considered. Body hair, including beard hair follicular units generally only grow in single and 2 hair groups. Opposed to scalp hair between 1-4 hair groups. It could be argued this is a benefit as it matches the existing hair growth distribution but it also means graft coverage is less. So 1000 grafts or so is likely to just over 1000 hairs, whereas the same distribution with scalp would be in the region of 2000 plus hairs for a 1000 grafts. Hope that helps a little, it´s worth getting a check up if you think it´s the road you want to take, and bear in the mind the meds issue also.

Dr Arvind

Dr Arvind

Valued member
I've never been able to grow a decent beard, it just doesn't happen. It is patchy and sparse at best after a few weeks growth and looks quite sorry. I've been browsing the various websites looking at the options available. They all seem to involve scalp hair grafted to face and neck but I was wondering would chest or back hair work as well? I have an abundance of it and could easily spare 1000s of them for a full beard. I'd rather use these and leave my scalp untouched. I'm in my late 20's with a baby face, so everyone tells me. I think a nice full beard would give a more mature look and I do like the modern style beard fashion.
Has anyone had a body to beard transplant? If so, I'd love to see what it looks like.
Have you used rogaine or minoxidil on face... many people have benefited. Can you please post some pictures.