• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Thinking of a Beard Transplant

B

Bald Beard

I've never been able to grow a decent beard, it just doesn't happen. It is patchy and sparse at best after a few weeks growth and looks quite sorry. I've been browsing the various websites looking at the options available. They all seem to involve scalp hair grafted to face and neck but I was wondering would chest or back hair work as well? I have an abundance of it and could easily spare 1000s of them for a full beard. I'd rather use these and leave my scalp untouched. I'm in my late 20's with a baby face, so everyone tells me. I think a nice full beard would give a more mature look and I do like the modern style beard fashion.
Has anyone had a body to beard transplant? If so, I'd love to see what it looks like.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I`m no expert but don`t see why it would not work, plenty of people have it transferred to their heads. I did read a post by Sean who says if you are using Finasteride it may kill off your body hair transplants, again I don`t know anything about this but you may want to ask a doctor about it.
I`m not a beard fan, if I had the cash I`d have them all stuck on my head and never shave again.

Hi @Bald Beard, it is possible to use other body hair areas such as the chest, back etc to reconstruct a fuller beard. As @Kevboy pointed out body hair can be susceptible to finasteride use. If you are using finasteride maybe monitor the quality and growth of your body hair, and if thinking of starting give it around 6 months plus to monitor any potentially negative effects on your body hair. Like any medication it´s not 100% so it does not mean you will suffer just because it maybe a side effect.

Body hair, chest, back ec needs to resemble and match closely your beard hair in characteristics. Otherwise they won´t blend and especially if you are rebuilding areas of no hair it would create an odd pattern of different hair qualities. This is less obvious when adding density to already populated areas. As a result, matching aspects such as colour, coarseness, curl need to be considered. Body hair, including beard hair follicular units generally only grow in single and 2 hair groups. Opposed to scalp hair between 1-4 hair groups. It could be argued this is a benefit as it matches the existing hair growth distribution but it also means graft coverage is less. So 1000 grafts or so is likely to just over 1000 hairs, whereas the same distribution with scalp would be in the region of 2000 plus hairs for a 1000 grafts. Hope that helps a little, it´s worth getting a check up if you think it´s the road you want to take, and bear in the mind the meds issue also.

Dr Arvind

Dr Arvind

Valued member
I've never been able to grow a decent beard, it just doesn't happen. It is patchy and sparse at best after a few weeks growth and looks quite sorry. I've been browsing the various websites looking at the options available. They all seem to involve scalp hair grafted to face and neck but I was wondering would chest or back hair work as well? I have an abundance of it and could easily spare 1000s of them for a full beard. I'd rather use these and leave my scalp untouched. I'm in my late 20's with a baby face, so everyone tells me. I think a nice full beard would give a more mature look and I do like the modern style beard fashion.
Has anyone had a body to beard transplant? If so, I'd love to see what it looks like.
Have you used rogaine or minoxidil on face... many people have benefited. Can you please post some pictures.

B

Bald Beard

Cheers for the info. I do think my chest hair is coarser than my beard hair. The amount I’d need would probably look odd unless I keep it trimmed to stubble level. I’ve not tried Minoxidil on my face, never knew it could grow hair there.
Are there any case studies showing people with beard growth from Minoxidil?
I will have to grow my beard for several days so you can see what I’m talking about.
Thanks all.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve heard of people having a positive response to Minoxidil when applied to the beard area. When I tried it on my scalp years ago, i could see some hair on my forehead getting stronger, thin wispy hairs were becoming thicker.
You can buy Minoxidil cheap online. Maybe give it a try.

MrPierre

MrPierre

Minoxidil might be a good start. There are a lot of videos on Youtube with some men having success!

B

Bald Beard

How many grafts do you think I’ll need?

665D4877-5B06-4E0A-8DCA-94A32D1CD907.jpeg
4A03ACFE-12D3-45F5-AB4C-78C58B2BFD31.jpeg

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Until all this corona virus ends I'm sure you can buy some kind of concealer/make up type product online to give the illusion of a thicker beard (seen it in instagram forgot name though). I myself use our lasses eyeliner kohl type pencil sometimes to add the illusion of density and to disguise the grey hairs...i apply to the grey and the thin areas then just get a towel and smudge it in it seems to make mine look fuller. I currently don't have a beard or i would show you. Obviously it's not ideal but it helps me lol.

B

Bald Beard

Hi Bullitnut, I did try something a while ago that did not blend in too well, maybe I applied it wrong but I didn’t like it.
My beard grows quite thick on my jawline and neck but my cheeks are thin. This is why I’m thinking a beard transplant could be the best option.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
You could do with around a thousand grafts if you want a dense beard. Thant`s just my opinion, you would need to consult with a hair transplant doctor.

Fortes Clinic

Fortes Clinic

Great decision. transplant is best decision to get back beard.

F

Fabian

I would definetly prefer Minoxidil before even thinking of a transplant. A friend of mine does use it to grow beard - And it does work (still looks a bit sparse, but lets see hows gonna look like in 6 month)! Also seen quite a few people online who did it as well!

Havent seen to many beard hair transplant results yet so i would be really careful. I remember seeing one in this forum, or on another forum, and in my opinion it did look unnatural.

Regards. Fabian

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Have you tried Minoxidil as Moppelheinz suggests?

S

SeanFUE

If your getting a beard transplant, some docs can take scalp hair and add to your face. Scalp donor is the only viable source. Same goes for making a beard and for those needing hair transplants on scalp.

You wont get a really really thick beard from transplamtation but it may create some sort of illusion of a defined outline or shape. Realistically, transplants cant make it too dense—- It wont be like Conor Mcgregor fashion or how some Latinos have their beards done at fade barber shops with the edge ups. Take a look at the beard Transplant examples already out there online.

I agree, its best to try other methods mentioned above first. Best of luck

B

Bald Beard

Thank you everyone. I will give Minoxidil a try but not sure what strength I should go with. Anyone know which one is best for the beard?
Sean, thanks for the additional info on the only hairs that should be used. Is there a reason hairs from my back or chest can't be used?

S

SeanFUE

Thank you everyone. I will give Minoxidil a try but not sure what strength I should go with. Anyone know which one is best for the beard?
Sean, thanks for the additional info on the only hairs that should be used. Is there a reason hairs from my back or chest can't be used?

Baldbeard, I know too well by experience with chest hairs etc that the yield is absolutely terrible and next to nothing. Aside from that, for those that do grow, they will be heavily misangled when grafted creating odd angles. Their rate of growth is different as well. Your actual beard hairs will outgrow them in faster timelines. Aside from that, any body hair you put on your scalp or face, will shed from finasteride use as well as finasteride reacts negatively to body hairs versus actual scalp hair. Be extremely careful and there are docs out there that may be ready to make a buck off of you with some other hairs, but just proceed heavily with caution. Sometimes, doing something may cause more harm then good. Best of luck

B

Bald Beard

I didn't realise there was any major difference but thinking about it, it makes sense what you say. My chest hairs stop growing at a certain length, my armpit and pubic hair grow longer, I've never let my beard hairs grow long but I'd sumise they would grow quite long.
I'll take your advice onboard and thanks for providing it.

S

smokeybacon

I´ve seen guys with beard transplants and wonder what´s going to happen when they´ve used a few 1000 grafts for their beard and then want a hair transplant and haven´t got the donor hair they thought. Seems like a trade off beard or hair transplant but probably not both. I´d go for hair transplant personally.

R

reddwarf

If your only using Minoxidil on your beard just to test it out I know they do a cheaper version from a company called Kirkland or something like that. Might be worth trying this cheaper option first.