• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Traveling before and after a Hair Transplant.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Always be well prepared when planning your Ht journey, have a checklist of things to do and things you will need for your journey, from a long haul flight to a short car ride.

Items such as your passport, currency/credit cards, any meds you are on for medical reasons, appropriate clothing, contact details of where you are going.
After surgery,
Wear a loose fitting baseball cap if you want to conceal your HT, be extra careful not to knock your head as you don't want to dislodge any grafts.

Feel free to add any suggestions.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Button up shirts, sun glasses to hide swelling as it drops.
Window seats are often better than aisle as less likely to get an elbow from a passer by, just be careful when getting up.
I take aloe vera and supplements for post op.
Go light if having a Strip! No big heavy cases.
Anyway just a few additions.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Sl, anyone else have some additions.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
With Delta you can pay a small amount and upgrade seats given more room for relaxing on the way back if you book online.......i found a travel pillow helped for relaxing on the way back.

Hattingen Hair

Hattingen Hair

Valued member
Think about the length of stay if you are traveling, the post op healing process, especially if a large procedure or hair line work as swelling is likely over the forehead and down to the eyes.

For some it is not a problem cosmetically, some people's concern is traveling the day after their op and maybe waiting a few more days before getting on a plane, so the decision is go back the next day or maybe wait it out for another 4-5 days until any swelling has calmed down.

As there is no medical reason not to travel the following day it is probably best to be in your own surroundings at home to relax. Visit the clinic the day after for a check up and then get a flight midday or slightly later.

Also, maybe get some provisions in at home so you do not need to walk down to the shops for anything

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thats a good idea to stock up unless you have family who know about your HT and will shop for you.

W

wylie

Valued member
I personally do not like to fly the day after surgery. You've been laying on a table or sitting in a chair for the better part of a day and you often dont sleep very well that first night. I like to take the day after and tend to the bleeding and swelling and basically do as little as possible. Then on the second day after surgery I fly home.

If you like to take the day after surgery to recover and are traveling alone, and arrive at the hotel the evening prior to surgery, visit a Whole Foods (or other store) and stock your fridge with food. It gets expensive to order out, and a diet of fast food for a day or two can leave someone feeling sick (at least it can for me).

I also visit Walgreens for travel size toiletries, and always take a couple gauze bandages with me and a roll of medical tape with me in my carry-on bag, in the event there is any bleeding during the flight.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
There is a Saturday night rule that some airlines use to distinguish business and leiusre travel with leisure travel being much less expensive. Sometimes it makes more sense to stay for a week or at least over a Saturday night as the price difference in the airline ticket can make it worth while to stay longer. This also gives you additional time to heal and relax.

More often than not it makes more sense for me to stay in Brussels for 7 days.

Plenty of stores in the area with fresh fruits and vegetables and of course eggs ;)

WiFi internet at the hotel and a handful fo books ;)

and the long walks are interesting.

W

wylie

Valued member
If I was staying in Brussels for a week I would be utilizing those excellent rail networks and taking the time to visit a few places in Europe. 7 days downtime in one city is too much time in one pace.
Amsterdam is not faraway, for starters. :::C

G

I suffered injuries and disfigurement that caused me depression, emotional and physical pain and humiliating appearance. Those injuries are caused because of the surgeon €™s reckless conduct.
Paul Weiss, my surgeon was required to tell the patient, me, everything that would substantially affect the patient so that I can make informed decisions whether to go ahead with surgery. What constitutes informed consent varies from state to state -

........No links allowed