• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Travelling to Turkey for hair transplant

S

sandiegojoe

Hi all, After putting it off for a few years, I am ready for a hair transplant. The difference in cost between the US and Turkey is so larger, that my wife and I decided to take a two week trip to Turkey to make the most out of the experience.

I'm looking for any recommendations on clinics/drs. I have already emailed a few of the more popular ones ( Hair of Istanbul, Dr. Birkan, Dr. Bicer, Cosmedica, Vera clinic).

Also I'm curious if anyone has any advice on timing? I'll be in Turkey for two weeks, I figure I could do a consultation right away after arriving, and then schedule the procedure for shortly before my return trip.

It's a loooong flight home, and I want to plan out the recovery as best as possible. If you were in my shoes, how many days before the return flight would you schedule the procedure? I figure I can just recover in a hotel room there for some period of time. but it will also be nice to be back home and be able to recover there with access to my own medical care etc....

Thanks in advance!

Joe

S

sandiegojoe

Here is where I am at with hair loss.
20210921_123035.jpg
20210921_123118.jpg

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic

Prohairclinic FUE and SMP
Please go seek some more advice with some reputable clinics.
I don't know your plan, but you really need a personal physical consultation before committing.
You have an advanced hair loss pattern and you can not afford a hit and miss.

S

sandiegojoe

Thanks PHC. I am looking for reputable clinics. I have met with Bosley in the US and was told I could do FUE, 3000 grafts.

Their price was pretty high though.

I am going to be in Tukey for a few weeks, so I'm working with clinics to do an in-person consultation followed by the procedure a couple weeks later.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I would send your pictures to the clinics before you go. Compare the graft estimates and game plans of each clinic.
What are your expectations?
Are you on any hair loss prevention regimen?
If you do go ahead, I would say at least 3 days to recover before flying back. It’s long haul and exhausting. I have heard of people traveling back the following day, you’re usually awake most of the night spraying your head, so I suppose it’s an option, but not one I’d go for.

Some of the clinics you mention may only do one patient per day. Chances of having a consult and booking a surgery while you’re there could be slim.

From the list you mention, Dr Bicer and Cosmedica have a number of patient results on here.
Dr Bircan has one with contact details from a US guy.
Dr Bircan patient

You could also check out the other clinics from Turkey that are on here.

S

sandiegojoe

I would send your pictures to the clinics before you go. Compare the graft estimates and game plans of each clinic.
What are your expectations?
Are you on any hair loss prevention regimen?
If you do go ahead, I would say at least 3 days to recover before flying back. It’s long haul and exhausting. I have heard of people traveling back the following day, you’re usually awake most of the night spraying your head, so I suppose it’s an option, but not one I’d go for.

Some of the clinics you mention may only do one patient per day. Chances of having a consult and booking a surgery while you’re there could be slim.

From the list you mention, Dr Bicer and Cosmedica have a number of patient results on here.
Dr Bircan has one with contact details from a US guy.
Dr Bircan patient

You could also check out the other clinics from Turkey that are on here.
Bigmac,

Thanks, I've been lurking for a while and always appreciate the thoroughness and insight in your posts.

At this point, anything would be an improvement. I don't expect a full thick head of hair, but would like a natural looking hairline for my age (48) and enough there to not have to wear a hat everywhere,

Thanks for the advice on the three days. I have some flexibility in my stay and can be in Turkey for 3 weeks. But would rather sight-see and make a vacation out of the experience.

I've been sending pictures to clinics to get some advice on the procedure, costs, graft #s... etc.

I haven't been doing a hair loss regimen. Tried monoxidil in the past and didn't care for the greasy feel (seemed like it made my hair look worse). I tried prp monthly for about 6 months and didn't seem to have any practical benefit and spent a bunch of money. Also I'm not a fan of pharmaceuticals and have heard some iffy things about finasteral. But that may be a component of my treatment/transplant. It seemed like the transplant made the most sense.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
If the estimate of 3000 grafts is correct I would concentrate on a mature hairline with decent density in the frontal third, possibly half. I’d leave the crown alone, unless they can harvest some beard grafts to bolster the numbers. Then add a thin covering to the crown.

I don’t know how long your hair loss has taken to reach the level it’s at now but you could continue to lose hair. Having a bald transplant without any hair loss preventative measures in place is a higher risk. You also have to consider if you have miniaturised hairs in the recipient area, they could be lost if they are affected by shock loss. This means the result won’t be as good as expected if you lose a lot. Again, it’s a risk.

The minoxidil foam is better in my opinion, it greasy and dries quickly. Maybe worth a try, but any gains would be lost if you stop using it.

If you stay there 3 weeks I would try to have the HT at the end of the 2nd week. Then when you’re traveling home, all the grafts are securely in place, no more spraying and you should be pretty much back to normal apart from the shedding and possible redness/scabs.

B

b_b

Hello sandiegojoe, I just saw your post and wondering if you have got your surgery done? and is it possible to share your experiences? thanks.