• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

tretinoin 0.05%(retin-a)for hairloss

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
hi guys was browsing the web last night and stumbled across an article about antiageing creams and hairloss from a plastic surgeon on another unrelated forum, the guy said this stuff was a well kept secret but avaliable on prescription only, so being inqiusative i googled it and was suprised to read this.

Retin-A has 3 main uses
  1. It is used in the topical treatment of acne vulgaris [/*]
  2. It is used in treating the visible signs of ageing and can diminish the lines on the face and can help in fading age spots [/*]
  3. It is also used to help enhance the effects on minoxidil for the treatment of alopecia or hair loss
[/*]

Topical tretinoin appears to increase the beneficial effects of minoxidil, and it is thought that this is due to increased absorption of minoxidil through alteration of the stratum cornum barrier.

One study showed a triple absorption with 0.05 tretinoin as compared with a control vehicle.

Does Retin-A assist in hair growth?
Tretinoin is sold under the trademark Retin-A. Retin-A was originally used in the treatment of acne and other skin disorders. Studies have shown however that Retin-A alone or in combination with minoxidil can result in moderate to good hairgrowth in individuals with Androgenetic Alopecia and Alopecia Areata.

Retin-A has been shown to effect cell proliferation and vascular proliferation. Studies have shown that Retin-A alone can result in good to moderate hairgrowth. The effect that Retin-A or Tretinoin has on growing hair is even more enhanced when used in combination with topical minoxidil. Dr Adam Lewenberg who markets a combination of minoxidil and tretinoin which is known as the Lewenberg formula carried out studies and recorded results of treatments carried out on patients. Dr Adam Lewenberg treated 484 people with a mixture of topical minoxidil and tretinoin. After two years of treatment "cosmetically satisfying" results were obtained in about 90% of these people. In an article written by Dr Lewenberg about his studies, Dr Lewenberg noted the following.

Unlike Minoxidil which effects on the vertex of the scalp, the combination of Tretinoin and Minoxidil results in hair growth in all regions of the scalp.

Also maintenance therapy requires less frequent and smaller doses of the combined medication.

The third point that Dr Lewenberg noted is that the combination treatment of topical Minoxidil and Retin-A is highly effective in women

anyone heard of it

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Never heard of it. I'm a skeptic of every hair med w/the exception of fin/rogaine; but even then I just recently accepted the fact that fin can make a material difference in hair loss.

That's just me though. Thanks for sharing & I hope that PRP or whatever it's called that Feller is researching turns up good news.

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
Not sure, surly if it worked they would try and get FDA approval for it and then they could make a shed load of money out of it.

Waylander

Waylander

Too Many Minds - No Mind
Hi Bullitnut (where did you get that name? Lol... Found your site really rewarding btw. Thanks)

Tretinoin, Retin A, is a form of Vitamin A (retinol) in a high concentration, which I've read before is good for the skin, especially certain conditions in higher doses like that... But, high doses of Vitamin A (Inc. Retinol) can lead to HAIR LOSS...

So I'm REALLY SCEPTICAL about that research too... Whether it's baldness, or some illness or disease that has no cure, you nearly always have no shortage of 'MONEY GRABBING A-HOLES' out to make money out of it... YEP, I'm a sceptic *smiling*

Oh and I'm having a }:BY:>?Lol

Waylander

Waylander

Too Many Minds - No Mind
Also in reply BN, I've researched many, many things... More will become apparent when I get around to posting an introduction, which I intend to, but my life is taken up on many things, as an introduction will show... I've researched many things medical, particularly nutrition, medicines, certain supplements, human anatomy, cell structures, etc. etc. ...One thing that just occurred to me as a follow up to my last post that may or may not help...

Is I remember reading research some time back that women with alopecia hair loss, the severe cases, were treated with minoxidol (3% for women) and courses of the steroid 'Predisilone' (a common cortico-steroid) for best results/chances of 'hair regrowth' - Again, high doses of Retinol (Vit A) can cause hair loss, though this is seldom permanant... Hope this helps BN... But this is what I remember from research I did years ago, and although I know it is true, I would obviously suggest your own research into this... as you know, we don't jump in until we know what's in the water, so to speak -x-

hope this helps in some way,

WL

RichTea

RichTea

Valued member
I have been using tretinoin Retin A on my skin for 3 years and it really does work for getting rid of wrinkles I have watched mine disapear although it only works while you use it when you stop you just get wrinkly again.

I also read about it boosting minoxidil it works on the basis that skin cell renewal speeds up and also there is something in tretinoin Retin A that lets molicules go deaper into the skin layer so in theory it should make minoxidil go deaper with less skin layers to slow it down.

I have not noticed any extra hair growth in the 6 months I have been using it on my scalp so I am going to stop.

But still going to use it on my face incase I turn into Sid James ;ss;