• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Tricopigmentation/SMP in different lighting conditions?

T

Tranquility

I've been considering tricopigmentation at BeautyMedical in Italy as they seem to produce really good results, but I have some doubts about the procedure that hopefully someone can address.

Background: I have very fair skin with (what used to be) dark, dense hair, and my crown is completely bald, with the front headed that way as well. I shave daily, but my "shadow" formed by the remaining hair remains very pronounced even after a close shave. I wonder how much sense the procedure would make for someone like me without looking fake.

1. Tricopigmentation results in studio photos look really good. But how well does the pigment blend in with the remaining follicles (aka the horseshoe) in different lighting conditions? in darker lighting conditions, the contrast between bald and non-bald skin areas is much more pronounced than in bright (e.g. sunny) conditions. How do (permanent) SMP and trico fare here? Are there any videos or photos addressing this issue, and - ideally - showing the difference relative to before the treatment?

2. Are there any differences between permanent SMP and temporary tricopigmentation in terms of how they reflect the light, given that they use different inks? I've seen many videos of permanent SMPs that look very shiny and unnatural, but I'm not sure if its the ink itself or just people opting for unrealistic hairlines with very dark pigments.

3. My head remains really smooth for maybe 6 hours or so after a shave. After that, the remaining hair already starts to stand out more compared to the initial shaved look. After a day without a shave, my horseshoe is much much darker than it is immediately after a close shave, and it reflects light differently than the bald areas. I fear that tricopigmentation - having a constant color - would only blend in naturally for maybe several hours after a shave. Is this fear justified? I don't think there are any videos/photos showing how SMP/tricopigmentation look changes throughout the day, and how it looks e.g. 12 or 24 hours after a shave.

4. What does SMP/trico on a totally bald area feel like when you touch it? Is there any difference in this regard between normal bald skin and tattooed skin? Can you tell the difference between SMPed bald areas and natural follicles by touch alone?

I'd be really thankful for any useful input.

Last edited:
R

Risingforehead

To me the results shown from the Tricho tend to look a little darker than most of the results from the permanent Smp. If this is the case I imagine this would be a better option for you given your hair type and colour.

T

Tranquility

The best/only videos I could find were these: youtube.com/user/Lelezaka/videos?view=0&sort=dd&flow=grid
This seems like good results, at least under the lighting shown. People also don't seem to shave completely but leave some stubble, I wonder how the contrast would change if they smooth-shaved ...

Milena Lardì

Milena Lardì

Hi Tranquility,
here you can read my answers to your questions:

1) The type of hair, the density and the length affect how the treatment will be performed. The more Hair is dense, of course, the more the dots will blend in with the remaining hair (it is taken for obvious that the follicles are there).
On our Beauty medical website here ----> https://www.beautymedical.it/tricopigmentazione/immagini-tricopigmentazione/
you can find several cases with high definition photos. In some cases, where the skin is not covered by hairs, it's important to know that the shine effect that is visible when the scalp is hit by a light source is caused by the fact that there is no hairs.
With the tricopigmentation procedure we do not put hairs on the scalp, therefore, in certain light conditions (e.g. direct light source), it can be more exposed than a diffused light.

2) It is not necessarily the pigment type that is used but how it behaves in contact with the skin. Obviously, if you perform a very marked and dark tricopigmentation procedure on a caucasian subject with a very aggressive frontline, you may have an unrealistic perception of it.

3) It is clear that, if you have an hairless upper part and an average dense donor part, after 12 hours the horseshoe may occurs. Consider that, not having the tricopigmentation that contrasts chromatically with the donor area, in 12 hours you can see a large gap; on the contrary, with tricopigmentation procedure, this gap would be reduced, already having a shadow that contrasts with the donor area.
If you have undergone a tricopigmentation procedure, even 12 hours after shaving, you would have a fairly homogeneous appearance.

4) Tricopigmentation is a totally two-dimensional treatment and it would be like touching an arm with a tatoo. There are no sensations of relief to the touch.