• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Using Diindolylmethane to combat Gynaecomastia caused by Finasteride

J

Jonto25

I`ve been a long time lurker following the forum on and off the past 6 years and thought I`d contribute something back by sharing my experience with Gynaecomastia which came about with my Finasteride usage. Gynaecomastia is commonly referred to as man boobs which are caused by an imbalance between the hormones testosterone and oestrogen. Oestrogen is predominantly a female hormone that causes breast tissue to grow. Men do produce some oestrogen, but usually, they have a higher level of testosterone which stops the oestrogen from causing breast tissue to grow into man boobs.

Back in 2013, I decided it was time to do something about my hair loss because it was making me uncomfortable about my appearance with some anxiety to boot. I made an appointment with a well known hair treatment clinic who put me on a 6 month course of laser and Minoxidil. At the end of the treatment plan, there were no positive gains to be seen. In fact, I would would say it was slightly worse. With this in mind, I decided not to go ahead with another 6 months of treatment. I then decided to research alternative treatments and found the name Finasteride - Propecia mentioned. After some extensive research on the pros of the benefits and the cons of side effects, I decided to try it out. I purchased an initial 6 months supply, this being the minimum time frame for results. After 3 months I could see a positive change in my hair quality, it seemed thicker, stronger and less were falling out. Over the next 4 years my hair had come on leaps and bounds, the visible parts of my scalp were now covered with hair that was dense enough to take away the bald thinning look. Obviously I was pleased with this, still am, who wouldn`t be. Then 2 years ago I began to feel some discomfort in my chest and noticed I was acquiring fatty tissue in the immediate area. This increased to the point I had a small pair of man boobs even though I was quite fit and healthy. At first, I did not link it to Finasteride, I`d been using it for 4 years with no issues. I went to the doctors, he did a full health check on me, everything normal except the extra fatty tissue and the slight ache in my chest. It was then I mentioned Finasteride to him. To my surprise, he knew all about it and suggested I cut my dosage or give it up for a short period of time to see what happens. Over the next 3 months, I cut the dosage to 1mg every 3 days. The ache disappeared after 2 weeks, at the end of 3 months the man boobs had reduced in size so I knew Finasteride was at the root cause. While on the lower dose I noticed my hair was beginning to look thinner, this put me in a dilemma. What will I do, I don`t want to lose the hair I`ve gained nor do I want to have man boobs. I decided my hair was more important, upped my Finasteride intake and began to look for something that would help with Gynaecomastia.

After a short time researching, I crossed out surgery. Male liposuction seems to be hit or miss plus there's no guarantee the fatty tissue won't return. In time, Diindolylmethane was often popping up as an Estrogen blocker. I researched it thoroughly before deciding to add it to my regime. A report I came across helped with my decision Finasteride induced Gynecomastia. It`s been just over 12 months, what a difference. I`m back on 1mg Finasteride per day, my hair looks great. My chest has returned to its normal state. I started on 100mg of Diindolylmethane per day increasing to 200mg after 3 months. There are side effects associated with its usage, thankfully I`ve only had a positive experience to date.

Anyone who is experiencing Gynaecomastia I hope you find my story useful.

Jonto.

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jonto25

Hi Bigmac. I could not add the link, it says not allowed. I have emailed it for review.

Jonto.

F

Forelock

Thanks for detailing your journey man. I read about something similar that weight lifters were taking or was that to counter high testosterone.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jonto.
It`s good to hear you found the forum helpful.
I`ve added the link you requested. I`d read the study before which is very interesting. I`m in contact with a doctor who is performing similar studies on the effectiveness of Diindolylmethane to treat Gynaecomastia in male patients who use Finasteride and those who don`t. So far it echoes your positive experience.
I suffer slight Gynaecomastia, I will be trying DIM ( Diindolylmethane ) to see if I react positively to it.
I`m pleased that you responded so well to it and thanks for documenting your journey, it will benefit others in a similar situation.
All the best.
Bm.

J

Jonto25

Thanks for detailing your journey man. I read about something similar that weight lifters were taking or was that to counter high testosterone.
I heard there are some in the weight lifting industry who use it.

J

Jonto25

Hi Jonto.
It`s good to hear you found the forum helpful.
I`ve added the link you requested. I`d read the study before which is very interesting. I`m in contact with a doctor who is performing similar studies on the effectiveness of Diindolylmethane to treat Gynaecomastia in male patients who use Finasteride and those who don`t. So far it echoes your positive experience.
I suffer slight Gynaecomastia, I will be trying DIM ( Diindolylmethane ) to see if I react positively to it.
I`m pleased that you responded so well to it and thanks for documenting your journey, it will benefit others in a similar situation.
All the best.
Bm.
Any study would be very useful to prove how effective it is and will help raise public awareness. It certainly helped me which leaves me in no doubt of its efficiency. If you added it to your regime start on the 100mg to see how you respond.
Tally ho.