• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

What are disadvantages of wearing a toupee ?

DanielaAbdulla

DanielaAbdulla

Greetings!

My knowledge about hairpieces and toupees is limited. Actually, our wedding anniversary is near, and I am planning to gift my hubby a fully customized toupee because he has little baldness from the top of the head. My friend Linda suggested this site ( https://www.hollywoodlace.com/ ),but I have two problems. First of all, I don't know which kind, design and stuff of toupee would be safe for human scalp and secondly, I am afraid of side effects or disadvantages. On the other hand, the idea to imagine how my husband will look cool after wearing a customized toupee making me happy.

What are your views on this? Or if you are using a toupee, then please share your experience with me.

I am waiting for your response.

Shera

Shera

The term toupe is a bit outdated, the new term widely banded out is hair system. You will have to have it custom made and it does need replacing every few months (12 weeks?). The area of baldness to be covered is shaved and then the system is cut to fit that area and is then glued into place. I have come across a few guys who wear these systems and they work very well.

But what I have also noticed is that the area that is covered becomes thinner over time alot quicker. Hair loss is genetic so there's no scientific explanation to this, it's just an observation I have made through system wearers getting fed up with the constant maintenance/cost and wanting to explore the hair transplant route instead.

If your hubby is just thinning in that area and has still a lot of minitiarising hairs there, another option to consider is the medical route, i.e. Finasteride which can bring these minitiarising hairs back to their natural healthy state as well as Minoxidil. Also the meds will help sustain hair slowing down the balding process.

Again if your hubby still has a few hairs left in the balding areas another option could be the use of fibers that when sprinkled over the existing hairs will create the illusion of a fuller head of hair.

To conclude once a person goes down the toupe/hair system route then they should be prepared to put up with the maintenance and associated costs for the foreseeable future.