• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

What are peoples opinions, are times changing and is the stigma lifting regarding Hairtransplants and hair treatments?

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on transplants and SMP etc these days, do you feel there's still a stigma about them and are they still a taboo subject or do you feel people are more accepting and understanding now towards people who have them. Reason i ask is these last few months iv'e seen 3 people who have just had a hair transplant walking around without a care in the world following surgery and nobody even looked at them.

I saw a guy today in the White Rose shopping centre and clearly he had just had surgery in the last couple of days but nobody seemed to notice or care, before Xmas i saw a guy in Dewsbury who had just had surgery driving a taxi (possibly one of your patients Dr Arshad due to being local)........ and then there was a guy in Meadowhall shopping again nobody cared.......... I also noticed a guy at Junction 32 Shopping outlet with SMP the other week and again nobody looked even though you could see it had just been done.

this is good in my opinion but i'm curious as to whether you think people not bothering in these instances was just isolated cases or whether folk really don't care these days whether people have had work done?

C

Coopman

Valued member
Hey Bullitnut

I believe that any stigma surrounding hair transplants has virtually died out these days. Society is so image conscious and image biased in 2020 that I don’t think anyone gives two hoots if someone declared that they have just had a procedure.
I was on an interview panel recently with two females (late 20s/early 30s) and the number 1 applicant from the application form arrived into the room. The interview went really well but afterwards the two ladies had an issue with his image. He was early 30s and sporting the horseshoe (norwood 7) look with the back and sides at least an inch long. They were horrified and scored him extremely low and both said the guy needs a transplant or to shave it all off, he did not get the job based on this.
Afterwards we spoke about his hair at great lengths and one of them said he may be a bit cute if he completely buzzed his hair.
This is only an example but it shows how in the modern age a HT and the full buzzed NW7 look are totally acceptable.

I have never been a fan of SMP (my past posts prove this) but i still cant see how SMP is socially acceptable in the modern era if people are aware of the procedure. I am 41 and a completely different generation to the late teens/20s however hence my view should be taken with a pinch of salt. But in see SMP as a secretive procedure whilst a HT is something that can be declared to your friends and loved ones.
A HT is real, SMP is only an illusion. Is SMP because it is an illusion socially acceptable to people in their 20s, i would love to see a survey As I don’t have any idea what the answer would be Amongst this generation.

Pete from Farjo

Pete from Farjo

Valued member
I do feel things have changed over the last few years. There doesn't seem to be the same stigma attached to men wanting to improve how they look these days (about time too I say). Whether we like it or not, the fact is how we look plays a significant role in many aspects of life - it's not the be all and end all - but that initial first impression can get you a head start, and anything we can do to tweak things can help.

I've always kept my transplants a secret other than to close family, and I've never been 'found out' as I've always had enough hair (with the help of concealers) for the average person not to get suspicious, but in recent years when I've confided in friends, there's been no mocking or amusement, just interest and lots of questions.

I think it's great that men are more open about transplants these days, long may it continue.

B

Bandit

Personally i think celebrities and sports personalities have played a huge part of making them more acceptable Bullitnut. Not fond of reality TV shows much and am not a footy fan but i am grateful to some of the stars of these genres for bringing them to the attention of the mainstream media. Without the constant media coverage i think the stigma you mention could still be there. Still hear the odd dickhead down the pub mentioning that Joe blogs has had a Rooney job done though which pisses me off.

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi BN

Firstly Happy New Year 2020 , as for your topic in my opinion over the last several years the stigma has wained away concerning HTs and actually my daughter came in and was talking about her friends husband who just had a HT like it was nothing , the backlash to this in my opinion is that it has become more open and popular to get a HT which in turn has opened the door for a lot of unethical Clinics or Surgeons to jump on the band wagon and also start to do HTs without the Professional Expertise and hence damage people, anyway its a good subject but people in my opinion dont really care , I for one get Chemical Peels and i go about my daily business even when the skin is peeling off and i look like I have had a good hiding but it just does not bother me and when am out people might look but I think in general nobody is interested unless they are part of a group you may know then its just a good old gossip

PaddyIrishman1

PaddyIrishman1

@bullitnut Great Question .
Yes it is becoming more socially acceptable . The main reason is because other people don't give a dam.
Technology in the HT world has come on really well and people are understanding this and are seeing documentries on TV etc so people are getting educated .
Seeing footballers etc and of course Rooney touched the hearts of his generation and mine also which really was a major milestone and turning point for the better of acceptance in my opinion .

@bullitnut how did you notice the guy with SMP?
@Coopman why are you not a fan of SMP?
.....Paddy...

C

Coopman

Valued member
Hey Paddy.

Whilst I am not a fan of SMP, I can acknowledge that some SMP work is very good.
I have seen a few cases in person, some very good. Others less so.
Main issue is hair is 3d and SMP is 2d and it's an illusion.
There is also a lot of ongoing maintenance, touch ups and filling in blank areas where you have suffered additional hairloss. Then when your hair starts going grey you have another issue. This costs a lot of money.
But hey it's a great treatment for someone who is proud of their SMP and is not concerned if others are aware it's a tattoo.

In the right hands it can be great to disguise scars from FUT and FUE where a large punch has been used.

PaddyIrishman1

PaddyIrishman1

@Coopman Thanks for your very informative reply. All of what you said is very educational and great points to keep in mind.
I didnt know that hair is 3d ? Or for that matter SMP is 2d ?
Although yes it is only an illusion.
....Paddy....

C

Coopman

Valued member
Paddy
There probably are a few SMP practitioners who can produce the illusion of a 3D effect by careful artistry and consistently produce very good results, but the number of these Practitioners is very few. It takes quite some artist to produce SMP on a individual that looks realistic under bright lights in a Restaurant and in the bright light of the sun, but also be visible in twilight.
A few years back on this forum there was quite a heated debate on SMP (there should be a thread somewhere started by Topcat, he was not everyone’s cup of tea but he had some very wise words that hopefully educated some younger viewers-its a very interesting read and is titled do not tattoo your head).
There was one particular Clinic that took exception to some of the views of Topcat and myself. That Clinic is not a sponsor on this site, but if you research how that Clinic changed over the space of 5-6 years, it really highlights the importance of if you are getting some form of SMP you really need a Practitioner who is at the very top of their game.

T

Todd

Times do change, state of the art today may be outdated in several years. This applies to technology and surgical, things can change quickly. If cloning became available in 2020, FUE and Strip transplants would become obsolete once it becomes affordable to the mainstream.
The stigma has lifted in recent years, more people see it to be something simple like having Botox that’s not taken to seriously. Time will tell if this is a good thing or not.

bullitnut

bullitnut

Hi BN

Firstly Happy New Year 2020 ,

Happy New Year pal, that's a good point you made regarding people not caring if you dont know them. Does your daughter know about your HTs then and if not I bet you were tempted to mention yours when she spoke about her friends dad.

Thanks for the reply and take care buddy

bullitnut

bullitnut

Times do change, state of the art today may be outdated in several years. This applies to technology and surgical, things can change quickly. If cloning became available in 2020, FUE and Strip transplants would become obsolete once it becomes affordable to the mainstream.
The stigma has lifted in recent years, more people see it to be something simple like having Botox that’s not taken to seriously. Time will tell if this is a good thing or not.

You make some good points Todd. You mentioned Botox do you think many men have botox too these days or is that a little taboo as well in your opinion?

bullitnut

bullitnut

Paddy
There probably are a few SMP practitioners who can produce the illusion of a 3D effect by careful artistry and consistently produce very good results, but the number of these Practitioners is very few. It takes quite some artist to produce SMP on a individual that looks realistic under bright lights in a Restaurant and in the bright light of the sun, but also be visible in twilight.
A few years back on this forum there was quite a heated debate on SMP (there should be a thread somewhere started by Topcat, he was not everyone’s cup of tea but he had some very wise words that hopefully educated some younger viewers-its a very interesting read and is titled do not tattoo your head).
There was one particular Clinic that took exception to some of the views of Topcat and myself. That Clinic is not a sponsor on this site, but if you research how that Clinic changed over the space of 5-6 years, it really highlights the importance of if you are getting some form of SMP you really need a Practitioner who is at the very top of their game.

Brandwood offer this 3d effect and it looks really good, but imo unless you have had a HT too its impossible to get a proper 3d view. That being said Brandwoods work is as close to realistic as I've ever seen and they truly are exceptional at what they do (just my opinion), But and I say but.... ALL permanent SMP (not sure about Tricopigmentation) will look different in different lights your right Coopman. One of my friends has SMP and it looks great outdoors especially and looks really good indoors too, but if he goes under fluorescent strip lights it practically disappears he told me.....so there are drawbacks and limitations to the treatment. Saying that he looks much better with the SMP and is much happier than before.

Would love to know if the Tricopigmentation vanishes under fluorescent lights the same if anyone knows?

T

Todd

Hi Bullitnut. I know lots of guys who use Botox. I think it’s down to it being readily available and not so expensive these days, similar to Fue hair transplants.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
The stigma has all but lifted now but it has consequences. Poorly designed hairlines and stalky grafts have become acceptable by a lot of patients.

PaddyIrishman1

PaddyIrishman1

Especially hairlines done in Turkey, I have seen a lot on young guys that look very sloped at the temples like a woman's hairline.

R

Risingforehead

Couldn't live with a hairline like that I think I would end up reclusive.

Pete from Farjo

Pete from Farjo

Valued member
The hairline's the most crucial part of a transplant to get right. I've seen plenty where not enough single grafts have been used at the very front, resulting in an unnatural appearance. I can see the lure of the ultra cheap prices offered by some clinics these days, but it's false economy if it only results in needing repair work further down the line.

PaddyIrishman1

PaddyIrishman1

Yes some of the Black market fue clinics in other countries really fall down on hairlines . To many 3 and 4 graft hairs in the hairline Pete thats right. There is poor and unnatural hairline design where the design is slope to the sides like a women's hairline.