• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Worried about shock loss

S

Steve10

I'm thinking about HT to thicken the top of my head. There isn't a definitive bald patch so relocated hair needs to go amongst the existing. I don't need it to be super dense, but am more thinking that instead of going completely bald I would likely at least have some hair in the years to come.

But, I am worried that thickening existing hair risks shock loss and I make a mess/end up being worse off.

Am I being overly concerned?

When folk go back for more thickening is that usually to areas that were once bald and have some relocated hair?

Obviously newbie questions.

S

Steve10

Ok, let me try again. I'm thinking about HT to make my hair more dense in appearance. But, I'm concerned (unnecessarily?) that inserting relocated hair into the existing area will damage the existing hairs.

B

Bobbins

There's no simple answer to this. Attempting to transplant into an area where there weak miniaturised hairs can result in permanent loss of those hairs. Surgeons have their own risk tolerance and will judge each case individually, weighing up the probability of whether the surgery is likely to improve density overall or not.
Being on medication with strengthen your position and potentially reduce the risk.
My advice would be to shortlist surgeons and consult with them
For us to have any chance of offering advice we'd need to see images of the area in question.

P

philwhitehouserepair

It deffo will get shockloss and in my case never came back every time I had a transplant I got shockloss behind transplant so guess what had to have another one behind that then it happened again so again had to have another transplant behind theat one. Meds are key but meds might not even work its a nightmare which I'm going through now
Good luck
1000003918.jpg
1000003919.jpg
1000003920.jpg

S

Steve10

Ok many thanks.

Just piecing things together just now. I’m not even sure what terms to use or questions to ask.

P

philwhitehouserepair

Hi pal can u do a bigger pic of top of head and back of head so we can see everything so we can see how much donar hair u have etc
U deffo need to be on some kind of hairloss med though

P

philwhitehouserepair

U got good donar so that wouldn't be a issue I reckon go see a hairloss dr I recommend dr Edward Ball he won't bullshit u and be honest with u on what u could achieve he's quite expensive but trust me u don't want a bad transplants so in the long run he would be my choose in uk
He will give u a natrual apperance if he thinks u are good for a transplant but u deffo need to prep your hair first ie meds etc

S

Steve10

so relocating donor throughout existing sounds like it will be more awkward/risky?

Also, if my sides recede doesn’t that mean a halo effect that needs I filled in the trades to come?

P

philwhitehouserepair

Yeah there's a risk of that deffo
I would deffo see dr ball maitland clinic think it's 150 consultant but it's worth it also he will look at ur hair deeply and plan it for u
Honestly mate I wouldn't try doing it on your own u need guidance every step of the way I've had 3 transplants since 2003 2008 2010 as I had receding hairline yeah got my hairline back but thinned behind transplants I didn't plan it ie using meds etc also I went to rubbish surgeon

S

Steve10

Thanks tons. I’ve been speaking with consultants, but wanted to have a few thoughts from others.

I’ve never been on any meds. Would I need that as well as FUE?

P

philwhitehouserepair

No worries yeah I think some kind of hairloss med especially for ur kind of loss also fut ie strip will get u more hair than fue but I think fue is better cos in case u not happy or change style of hair u can always clipper shorter that way u won't have a strip scar that u will probably see if u go short as fue is different to see when short
Honestly mate go see Dr ball maitland clinic u will come out of the consultation with a plan and the best advice u will get

B

Bobbins

Thanks tons. I’ve been speaking with consultants, but wanted to have a few thoughts from others.

I’ve never been on any meds. Would I need that as well as FUE?
I would hold you horses and start reading and researching. The last thing you need to do is rush into a decision on this.
Generally the first thing to consider is medication. Read about finasteride and minoxidil and decide whether that's something you want to consider committing to. The simple explanation is that a hair transplant will help give the illusion you have lost less hair than you actually have
However, you will continue to lose hair afterwards. The only way to slow/stop that is by taking medication continually and regularly.

S

Steve10

Thanks.

I’m also not sure about sides dropping in say 15 or so years and then this halo type gap forming.

I guess that means you need to be prepared to do a top up type infill, or leave it and say so what?!

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, donor permitting you would do another surgery or you could shave the back and sides to the bone.