• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Beard Transplant at Hair Dr Clinic, Leeds (Dr Arshad) – 500 Grafts – 05-Jan-2022

H

HT2021

So, a bit of background: I had a hair transplant procedure at the Hair Dr Clinic in Leeds in January 2021, followed by a top-up procedure in January 2022 - I documented this in this thread. While I was there for the top-up, I decided to have a small beard transplant procedure, to address the patchiness on my cheeks that has often annoyed me.

I thought I'd start a new thread specifically about the beard transplant to make it easier for others to find, as I found it hard to find much information about beard transplants online (I assume because they are fairly rare, and those who do have them may avoid posting anything publicly about it because it is that much harder to hide your identity in photos).

The grafts in beard transplant procedures can be taken either from the scalp or the neck – mine was taken from the neck (more precisely, the area just under the chin that is generally not visible to other people). The clinic said that Dr Arshad prefers to take the grafts from there because a) those hair characteristics have more in common with the native beard hairs on the face, and b) it doesn’t deplete the donor resources at the back of the head for potential future hair transplants. For beard-to-beard transplants, the clinic charge £5 per graft. I believe I had around 500 grafts in total across both cheeks, and I believe the vast majority were 1s, though I haven't had the graft breakdown confirmed by the clinic just yet.

We did the hair and beard transplants consecutively across the day – starting with the injections and extractions from the head, then from the beard; then all of the channels created on the scalp, then on the cheeks; then the implants into the head and the cheeks were done at pretty much the same time. The day began at 7.45am, and I think we finished at around 5pm. The process is pretty much the same across both hair and beard transplants; and although I had wondered how it would feel having people work on my face and my neck, it actually felt no more strange than the hair transplant process.

The one thing that I hadn’t been prepared for was that the saline injection (which makes the skin on the cheeks taut enough to work on) resulted in my cheeks swelling up massively for the rest of the day. It would have been good to have been warned about this beforehand, because it meant that I had a lot of difficulty talking (my speech was muffled and certain letter sounds just became impossible to say), eating was impossible, and I could only drink through a straw - my partner and I had to head to the nearby Lidl on the way back to get some protein shakes and some straws so that I could have something resembling a meal that evening. Needless to say, this added a lot to the discomfort on the first night, but by the next morning I was basically able to speak, eat and drink as normal, so it was only short-lived. So if anyone is considering a beard transplant – I would definitely suggest you discuss this beforehand, and come prepared!

The recovery from the beard transplant has been similar to the usual process, but with a few differences. It takes a lot of extra care to not allow anything to touch your cheeks as well as your scalp; and as I had some grafts all the up to the side of my mouth, I also had to be extremely careful when brushing my teeth. In terms of washing, it just wasn’t really possible to wash the rest of my face for the first week – I didn’t want to risk getting water onto the grafts, and I wasn’t sure if even using face wipes would be wise, in case the saline sprays caused something from the wipe solution to run into the grafts. So I did feel increasingly grotty as the week went on, and when I was finally able to wash after a week it felt like I was reborn!

In terms of the washing process, the clinic recommended to apply shampoo to the both the scalp grafts and the beard grafts, and leave them for 10-15 minutes before rinsing off with water from a jug. However, the beard area also seems to recover a lot more quickly than the scalp does – the majority of the scabs from my donor area on the chin had gone within 4 or 5 days of the procedure, and the scabs had all come off my cheeks by day 10.

Here are some of the 'before' photos, showing the patchiness and also a slightly blurry photo of my chin area:

Left 1.jpg
Right 1.jpg
20211229_151937.jpg

After discussing with the clinic, these are the approximate areas that we decided to focus on:

WhatsApp Image 2022-01-03 at 19.46.59.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2022-01-03 at 19.46.18.jpeg

I hope this was helpful - I'll post some progress photos in my next post.

Last edited:
H

HT2021

Here is a selection of progress photos from my beard transplant. The scabs on my cheeks lasted until around day 8, when I was able to wash my face for the first time. It was definitely tricky not touching my face as well as my scalp for the first week, so I was super cautious and paranoid throughout, but after that it's been very straightforward.

The redness still hasn't fully receded yet (I'm now on day 33) - although, because I've let the transplanted hair grow a little longer to cover up the redness, that does make it harder to compare with earlier photos when the hair was shorter.

I haven't really noticed any shedding, but it's probably harder to notice beard hair shedding compared to scalp hair, so it's possible that there was a little. The clinic have advised against using clippers on the transplanted hairs for the time being, so I have been clipping the rest of my beard and then using nail scissors to try and maintain the transplanted hair. As a result, this area does look a bit less neat and tidy for now, but presumably once I'm able to clip it properly, it will blend in more smoothly!

Day 2

Day 2 (10).jpg
Day 2 (11).jpg

Day 4

Day 4 (6).jpg
Day 4 (9).jpg

Day 7

Day 7 (1).jpg
Day 7 (2).jpg

Day 10

Day 10 (4).jpg
Day 10 (8).jpg

Day 15

Day 15 (1).jpg
Day 15 (7).jpg

Day 24

Day 24 (1).jpg
Day 24 (5).jpg

Finally, a few photos of the donor area (the area just under the chin that is generally not visible to other people):

Day 2

Day 2 (1).jpg

Day 6

Day 6 (5).jpg

Day 8

Day 8 (4).jpg

Day 15

Day 15 (5).jpg

Day 17

Day 17 (4).jpg

Day 24 - I trimmed the area (fairly haphazardly) with nail scissors to make it easier to keep an eye on the redness, so this picture probably makes this area look more sparse than it actually is. The day 17 photo is probably a better reflection of how it currently looks, but I included this one as it shows the skin more clearly

Day 24 (4).jpg

I'll try and keep this thread updated as everything progresses, but if anybody has any questions then please feel free to ask!

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ht2021. Thanks for documenting your beard to beard transplant. I can see why the gaps in your beard would bother you. It was an ideal opportunity to have this done while getting your second HT surgery. You mention some good points about eating and washing that will help others plan for their beard transplants.
Everything sounds like the day went smoothly. Sleeping wise, have you been sleeping upright immediately after surgery?
The healing looks good. I found under my chin itched a lot, a bit like shavers rash but like you, it healed really quick.
It looks as though the grafts are continuing to grown, a nice plus if it continues.
I`m looking forward to following your progress.
All the best.

E

Edsarn

Thanks for sharing @HT2021 - how long did it take to extract the beard grafts? I am thinking of adding some additional density to my crown with some beard grafts with @HairDr Clinic - I am hoping for 1000 grafts or so.

H

HT2021

Hi Ht2021. Thanks for documenting your beard to beard transplant. I can see why the gaps in your beard would bother you. It was an ideal opportunity to have this done while getting your second HT surgery. You mention some good points about eating and washing that will help others plan for their beard transplants.
Everything sounds like the day went smoothly. Sleeping wise, have you been sleeping upright immediately after surgery?
The healing looks good. I found under my chin itched a lot, a bit like shavers rash but like you, it healed really quick.
It looks as though the grafts are continuing to grown, a nice plus if it continues.
I`m looking forward to following your progress.
All the best.
Yeah, I don't think those patches bothered me so much that I would have had a separate procedure to get them filled in, but it made sense to do it while I was already there for the hair transplant. I was sleeping upright anyway due to the hair transplant, but I was extra reliant on the travel pillow to keep my head in place this time around, because with the grafts going almost all the way to my mouth, even turning my head to one side could have disrupted the beard grafts.

I think I've been lucky because I've had no itchiness at all! I'm just hoping that the redness in the both donor and transplanted areas go down soon, because they're a little difficult to explain away. But otherwise, since the fairly uncomfortable first week was out of the way, it's been really plain sailing

Last edited:
H

HT2021

Thanks for sharing @HT2021 - how long did it take to extract the beard grafts? I am thinking of adding some additional density to my crown with some beard grafts with @HairDr Clinic - I am hoping for 1000 grafts or so.
I think the extractions took around 45-60 minutes or so, but my memory is a bit hazy now. But it felt no different really to the extractions for the hair transplant. In general I'd definitely advise arranging a call with the clinic - I had tons of questions about beard transplants that Sommiya was able to answer for me, and that definitely helped me make up my mind about having the procedure done.

In terms of timeframes generally, I think the clinic had originally said that the beard transplant would only add an hour or two on to the day, on top of the hair transplant I was having anyway. That might be how it normally goes, but for me I think the beard part probably added 3+ hours on. This was just down to the clinic deciding to slow things down and take their time with me, because I was struggling a bit with the injections and a bit woozy from it all generally, so I definitely appreciated that. But just wanted to give a heads-up that there's a decent chance that it will be a full day for you, even if neither of the procedures you're having are that big by themselves.

H

HT2021

Hi @Bigmac, thanks for checking in!

These photos are from yesterday (Day 71). I think most of the redness has now passed, and the new hairs have certainly made a difference compared to the before photos in my first post.

I find that compared to head hair, it's much harder to tell if there has been shedding (because gaps in the head hair are a lot more obvious), but so far it's looking good to me!

I can still see some slight gaps on my cheeks, but I honestly can't tell if those were a) just smaller gaps that are more apparent now since the bigger ones have been filled in, b) not really gaps as such but just the illusion of gaps because the new hairs are so much thicker and darker or c) a figment of my imagination (my girlfriend says she can't see them at all!)

But regardless, that's just quibbling - so far it looks way better to me; and if there are more hairs yet to grow through then even better!

Day 71 (1).jpg
Day 71 (4).jpg
Day 71 (5).jpg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I can see some small gaps but that means nothing at this stage, way too early with a long way to go. The donor/under chin has healed well. I think you’ll be happy once everything has grown in.
Thanks for the update.

B

Boxy

Hi @Bigmac, thanks for checking in!

These photos are from yesterday (Day 71). I think most of the redness has now passed, and the new hairs have certainly made a difference compared to the before photos in my first post.

I find that compared to head hair, it's much harder to tell if there has been shedding (because gaps in the head hair are a lot more obvious), but so far it's looking good to me!

I can still see some slight gaps on my cheeks, but I honestly can't tell if those were a) just smaller gaps that are more apparent now since the bigger ones have been filled in, b) not really gaps as such but just the illusion of gaps because the new hairs are so much thicker and darker or c) a figment of my imagination (my girlfriend says she can't see them at all!)

But regardless, that's just quibbling - so far it looks way better to me; and if there are more hairs yet to grow through then even better!

View attachment 31168View attachment 31169View attachment 31170
This you? Only reason I ask is that the video on tiktok doesn't state you've had two procedures.

Screenshot_20240117_013640_TikTok.jpg

Last edited: