• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Going for repair at Shapiro Medical Group.

T

thincity

Valued member
Hi everyone, First, I had to cancel my appointment at SMG and my hotel reservation. The weekend was spent moving my daughter out of her flood damaged apartment and back home with us. On a positive note, I let Janna know that both my wife and I will be coming to Minnesota sometime during October or the first week of November. My wife has wanted to visit Mall of America, long before I ever heard of Shapiro Medical! I never had the time during past visits, so it will be a consult and mini-vacation. As soon as I have the exact dates, I'll post a update.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
thincity wrote:
The weekend was spent moving my daughter out of her flood damaged apartment and back home with us.

Thats awful dude i hope shes not lost too much of her stuff. Thanks for letting us all know....... but on the plus side as you say it would be good for your wife to visit the mall as it's amazing and i am sure she will love the vacation.

T

thincity

Valued member
Hi everyone, I shared some information with Janna yesterday and would like to share with readers of this forum. In November of 2012 I had a major surgery with left me with a nine inch incision and three smaller laparoscopic incisions. All four incisions were closed with staples. Two weeks ago, I had to undergo a unplanned surgery related to the first. The entire nine inch incision was removed and closed again, with staples. The only reason I'm sharing this, is it relates to the use of Acell.

During my repair surgery at Shapiro Medical in February 2011, Acell wound strips were used at the donor closure and Acell particles on the recipient. I noted yesterday that I still have purple "dots" alongside the laparoscopic incisions, nine months after the surgery. The staple closure(s) done by Dr. Ron were healed and no apparent scarring within three months post surgery. I know, because I checked my scar/closure several times a week for the first six months.

While I cannot provide a side by side comparison, (area treated with and without) I can tell you from my personal experience, Acell has healing benefits. The other area is the the punch outs done. Check my post op pictures posted by Janna, these are fairly large wounds. There is NO evidence of scarring, and all my previous pitting was removed and gone. As I posted before, if SMG wants to takes extreme close-ups of this area during my November visit, I'll let them.

There was another poster on another site who did a "reversal"/ "punch outs" with Dr. Epstein in Florida. I followed his progress and pictures closely, as I had considered this option. The last results he showed where in my opinion, horrible. That poster dropped out of sight and has not returned. I know when I have my next session with SMG, I will use Acell again.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Thincity,

We've been using ACell for couple of years and I have to say that there has not been one case where one of our patients felt they shouldn't have used it. Our feelings on it is the same!

Per our conversation yesterday, I'm posting a side by side picture of a harvested donor strip that had ACell wound strip used and one without. This is just one example that ACell can help minimize scar tissue. The ACell company has some phenomenal before and after pictures of wound healing with ACell.

Photo courtesy of Dr. Jerry Cooley

Attachments

• ACellcomparision.jpg
    ACellcomparision.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 892
H

Hairdirection

Hey Thincity,

I firmly believe that Acell heals wounds and helps to regenerate skin as well as having the ability to aid in the regrowth of Human tissue. I`ve studied the use for several years witnessing some pretty amazing results.

It may not work for everyone but there`s no harm in trying it. As you state it has helped you in your healing which is what matters. Hope you recover well from your other surgery.

Janna, thanks for sharing those examples.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It's great to hear Acell has helped to heal your donor scar and the punch outs you had.
All the best
Bm.

T

thincity

Valued member
Hi everybody, I haven't posted in quite awhile, but still read here. I had planned on getting my second procedure with Shapiro Medical done last month, however my daughter is getting married in early September and I was concerned about having signs of surgery. I was a very slow grower, and I am hoping to have some minor hair line work done and a little density added. I will be driving, (flight costs have skyrocketed!) next month for a consult with Dr. Ron, and pictures. My plan is have the next surgery done in very early January.

Westcoaster

Westcoaster

Good to hear back from you, are you happy with how your hair is now?

T

thincity

Valued member
Hey West, Yes I'm very pleased! The hair line was not touched by Dr. Ron. The grafts were placed behind my existing hair line. It appears that all my native hairs have remained at over two years post op. The only area that really needs to be strengthened is the hair line. Depending on my laxity and donor availability, I'd like to add some density to the vertex as well. I'm sure SMG will take some pics, which they can post here.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Glad all is well with you Thincity, will look forward to seeing your new hairline once done.

T

thincity

Valued member
I just returned yesterday from my follow-up/consult at SMG. Matt took photos and placed them side by side from my original consult pictures (three years ago). I met with Dr. Ron and we went over my goals and what is achievable. I emailed the pictures to Janna, and after she posts them, I'll detail the results and my goals. In the after pictures, my hair is darker from coloring. Most if not all my native hair in the hairline has remained, but I lost in the frontal tuft, and Dr. Ron showed me some miniaturization, among the transplanted hairs.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi Thincity,
Thanks for making the long haul drive for your two year post op follow up.
Here are your pictures.

Presentation2.jpg

Slide1.jpg

Slide2.jpg

Slide3.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hey Mate

Your hair looks so good and natural looking love it , are you planning getting anymore work done it cant be much if you do , hope your doing good mate and its great to see your pictures posted .

Cheers

Dazz

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good Thincity, are you looking to add a bit more density to the areas where you may have the miniaturized hair?

Cheers Bm.

T

thincity

Valued member
Hi Janna, It was a long drive, but worth it, to have Dr. Ron to be able to see things first hand!

Thanks Dazz, I am planning more...see below.

Thanks Bigmac, yes, also see below.

The first picture (with drawing on it, Matt Zupan's art work!) shows the areas I would like to add, not shown is the strip on the right side of the crown and a smaller area on the left side of the crown.
The Good: Dr. Ron was exactly on page with my main areas of concern. He felt that up to 2k grafts could be extracted. Dr. Ron felt that 300-400 grafts (ones and two') in the center gap of my hairline would address this area, 800 to 1200 in he "frontal tuft" area (which shows some miniaturization) and the remainder on the right (worse) and left side of the crown. I also have a few more plugs that could be punched out and the hairs recycled. Laxity is fairly good, and I have not started scalp exercises yet. Dr. Ron used a golf pencil to mark in the area of the hairline and sides of crown to show the contrast. I also asked about removing one or more of my old scars with my next surgery.
The Bad: I have several scars from Chambers old work, actually none are very wide, but since some are "stacked" it can make the scars look wider and visible when wet. Dr. Ron stated that he can try and remove some during the next surgery, however it can lead to less grafts and there is risk of the scar becoming worse (although he said it was a small risk). My hairline has remained largely intact for three years with a few new hairs from Proscar or Rogaine Foam. There is risk in putting hairs in the hairline gap, as I could lose the hairs on either side. My tentative plan is to do the surgery in January, but I have some very tough decisions on how to proceed. I know I could make the current result less "see through" by using Dermatch, however I used this product about ten years ago, and once you start, its hard to not use it. One thing I should add, is I am using hair gel in the after pictures, which can reduce some of the appearance of fullness.
Results: I'm pleased, especially when you consider where I started out from. I think if I am able to address the areas of concern, that will put the finishing touches on the job. I do not classify this as "hair greed" but rather the room is painted, now its time to paint the trim.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like a good plan to me, you and the doc agreeing which parts need addressing is a plus.I'll look forward to seeing the pictures etc from your next surgery.Cheers Bm.

T

thincity

Valued member
Hi All,
I am scheduled for a medical surgery this November, and as long as all goes well, will be having another surgery at SMG in January. While I am apprehensive about placing grafts in my hairline "gap", I feel stronger about it now. My pre-op pictures taken at SMG were in May 2011 and my two year follow up pictures in 2014. The hairs on either side of the "gap" have remained (they are native hairs) and I will be turning 52 shortly. I have slightly changed my surgery plans, I still want the "gap" filled, hopefully with ones, as there are larger grafts directly behind it. I also have about 20 or so Chamber's mini-grafts left that need to punched out in the lower right portion of my crown. I'd rather have less density than dealing with these grafts that grow sideways, and straight up. I recently had my hair cut shorter and these really stood out. I have decided that before adding to the frontal tuft, I'd like to strengthen the right side area of the crown with light density and whatever is left use in the tuft. I have started the scalp exercises again and I hope this will help.

Westcoaster

Westcoaster

Good luck with your surgery in November, all being well your next surgery with SMG should eliminate those mini grafts and refine your hairline.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
Thincity all the best to you.

Last edited: