• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

My hairline and donor repair / restocking with Dr Edward Ball at The Maitland Clinic (2 repairs completed)

P

Paul_

Valued member
Hello everyone, I hope this post will help some of you that are going through the same stress and discomfort as I suffered this year. Detailed description below + photos (before repair, right after 1st repair surgery, and now after 2 weeks). I will update this thread after my 2nd intervention in March ‘24

Background:
  • I am a NW 3/4, with a very obvious bald crown and an odd receding hairline “gulf” right in the middle of the hairline
  • After several years of using topical minoxidil, which helped somewhat, I took an emotional decision to get a hair transplant, after having done relatively little research. I had it done in Malaga, Spain, in a “good value for money” clinic, in Feb’23
  • They did an awful bit of work on me, including not listening to what I asked of them – I ended up with about 900+ grafts hairline “reinforcement” they strongly recommended, which did NOT cover my balding areas in front fully, plus I had nasty multi grafts in front, pitting and ridging. And the crown with thinner coverage, 1800+ grafts added. The worst part is that I was overharvested on one side, as one of the techs was inexperienced. I always kept my hair short on the sides and at the back, and having to hide it under a messy, no-shape hairstyle now was killing me
Options for repair
  • All the research I did not do before my surgery, I did afterward – to my relief I discovered that hairlines can be removed and donor areas repaired, by very experienced FUE surgeons
  • I discarded SMP on donor as that is not the best long term option, for me at least
  • I checked with the most renowned clinics in Europe about removing the implanted hairline grafts and restoring my donor with them, and got all kinds of answers
  • From the positive answers, after much due diligence and a detailed talk with David Andersen (senior advisor at TMC, who helped me out a lot, guided me and put up with my silly, nervous questions) and Dr Maitland Ball himself, I went ahead with The Maitland Clinic, and that is the best decision I could have ever made
My first repair with Dr Ball / TMC
  • 9 months after my first botched transplant, I flew to the UK and met with Dr Ball the night before surgery for my final check-up
  • He was amazingly kind and empathetic (same as the first time we talked), answered all of my questions about the surgery, we discussed risks, technique, equipment, steps, team. He is extremely knowledgeable and it shows. We agreed on a 2 step surgery to remove the implanted hairline and reuse the grafts to fix my donor
  • Why 2 steps? The first step removes most of the grafts, as long as the extraction punches do not overlap (if they do, they can cause bigger, more visible scars) and fixes the left side of my donor (most damaged, overharvested). A few months after, when the skin has healed, the 2nd step removes the remaining grafts from the hairline and fixes the right side of my donor with them. This approach allowed me to sleep on one side without damaging the grafts as well
  • The surgery itself involved Dr Ball assisted by 6 (yes, 6!) Technicians (most clinics use 2, cutting cost and taking shortcuts at your expense). They are amazing ladies that had clearly been trained by Dr Ball (and had more experience than the surgeon who did my first transplant)
  • Dr Ball did the extractions himself, with the most senior technician assisting him, and the grafts were carefully placed in a protective solution, with the rest of the techs carefully cleaning and dissecting them accordingly (e.g. a 4-hair graft was split in 2 x 2-hair grafts, so we could use them better for restoring the donor)
  • The extraction was not simple, the grafts were badly angled and placed. I even had “piggybacked” grafts, which were placed one on top of the other. Dr Ball effectively did complex mini-surgery on me, opening up the skin over the grafts, removing the one on top and the one growing under the skin, one hair/root at a time. I would have developed cysts and infections and would have needed such surgery later on, had it not been for Dr Ball’s keen eye
  • Once that was done, the next step was creating the sites where to place the grafts in my donor area where I had bald extraction spots, which Dr Ball did with a blade. This is delicate manual work and requires concentration to restore the right density in the donor area as a whole. I had bald patches from multi-extractions one next to the other, it looked patchy and moth-eaten
  • The last step was done by the techs under Dr Ball’s guidance, where they used all the different types of grafts by hair count (1’s, 2’s and 3’s, “strong” and “fine” types) to best fill the holes in my donor area. The level of coordination and focus among them was outstanding
  • The whole surgery took 8h and 759 grafts (~75% of the implanted grafts) were removed from my hairline and carefully placed back into my damaged donor
Now (2 weeks post-op) and next steps
  • As you can see below from the photos, I am healing quite nicely along the hairline, and my donor looks almost like new. This is a testament to Dr Ball & team’s technique. I followed the post-op instructions fully, and am using a silicone based anti scar cream now as well
  • There are a few patches of hair where clumped grafts remain, the ones that were too close to each other to remove fully in one sitting (again, the aim is to not have several extraction punches merge and form one big scar). These will be removed in the 2nd surgery
  • While I still look a bit awkward, I can tell you the relief I am feeling is tremendous. My skin feels normal again, without ridging and hairs "pulling" at it. I have a clear way forward and an amazing doctor and his team to follow through this with me
  • In the future, I may use some more of the implanted crown hair to further fix my donor, if I see that my balding pattern advances. In don’t want to be left with an “island of hair” in my crown, and balding all around it
Photos
Hairline and donor shown, before repair, right after repair, and now 2 weeks after repair

I hope this will help some of you here. It’s a terrible feeling to go through a botched HT, but thanks to amazing people like Dr Edward Ball, David Andersen, and the entire technician team, such abuse can be mended. I am grateful to them, and hope they will be able to help more people in the future. I would not let anyone else touch a single hair on my head now

Finally, I’d like to give a shout out to @Bigmac, Pierre, @Davy and @AJT , who have gone through several repairs themselves and helped / pointed me in the right direction. I owe you gents, you have my sincere thanks. I hope with this post I am paying it forward at least

All the best,
Paul

1. Hairline pre-1st surgery.jpg
2. Hairline right after 1st surgery.jpg
3. Hairline 2weeks after 1st surgery.jpg
4. Donor pre-1st surgery.jpg
5. Donor right after 1st surgery.jpg
6. Donor 2weeks after 1st surgery.jpg

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Paul. Congrats on your road to repair. Everything sounds like the whole process went extremely well. Having those pluggy multi grafts removed and placed back in the over harvested area of your donor was a good game plan. The work looks very good. I’m sure you’ll end up looking quite normal.
Your post op healing looks very good.
I`m looking forward to following your progress.
All the best.

H

hairveteran

Wow, this is an incredible work by dr. Ball. It is a shame you had to deal with that bad first transplant.
Keep us updated please

P

Paul_

Valued member
Very well ty, on the surface it's fully healed, skin feels smooth and soft to the touch. Tinge of redness that is subsiding.
Some messy grafts still to remove in a few months

WhatsApp Image 2023-12-18 at 11.23.42_temple.jpeg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Healing looks to be going well. Once you get the other troublesome grafts removed you’ll be heading for a nice hairline.

P

Paul_

Valued member
Hi everyone, since I got a few questions, here's how the hairline healing looks, 1.5 months post op
I was expecting it to take much longer, so I'm quite happy

WhatsApp Image 2024-01-10 at 17.19.30.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2024-01-10 at 17.06.57.jpeg

H

hairveteran

Are you having the next surgery with dr. Ball soon?
Would love to see an update for both your donor and recipient!

P

philwhitehouserepair

The only person I would let touch my head in uk is dr ball especially for repair,as u know I don't think transplants give u the result u want,just my opinion but I think dr ball is the only surgeon in uk to give u the natraul and best outcome
Wish u all the best with ur repair

P

Paul_

Valued member
Hi everyone,
Here are some photos from a few weeks ago already, as now my hair grew longer and can't notice anything

I'm more than happy with both the growth (I didn't shed much and/or I had early growth around the 3mo mark) and the hairline extraction healing, I honestly can't notice any visible scarring
I was primed to accept much worse results but I agree with you Phil, Dr Ball is just amazingly good, I can't thank him enough

Will post again in a month after my 2nd procedure

side_capture.JPGhairline.jpg

P

philwhitehouserepair

Hi mate dr ball will do his best to get natraul apperance and that's what counts,ok we all hate the fact that transplants always thin see through looking but the naturalness is the key cos fibres and concealers help with that
Direction and naturalness is key which dr ball is king at doing

P

Paul_

Valued member
Hi everyone,

Update 2 weeks post 2nd repair surgery with Dr Ball / Maitland Clinic
Pristine, beautiful work from Dr Ball and his team, same as first time around. More info below

Repair summary
  • Goal: remove the remaining implanted hairline, lots of multis and badly angled grafts, and use them to fix the overharvested donor area (right temporal side now, after doing the left in 1st surgery)
  • 659 grafts, including ~50 unsightly multis from crown that were split into 2s and 1s – the aim was coverage of as many extraction sites as possible
  • Done 4 months after my first one, in order to give the hairline time to heal after 1st repair/extraction
  • Total surgery time incld lunch break: 09h00 to 17h00

Results 2nd repair - frontal + crown extractions + right side implanting (2-3 weeks post-op update)
  • Hairline healing well, used vaseline first week and now using silicone scar prevention gel
  • No swelling, hardly any pain, some itching
  • No grafts shedding yet that I could see
  • Sleeping/resting on the healthy left side, no issues at all, I’m used to this routine by now

Results 1st repair - left side (post 4.5 months update)

• Little shedding / amazing growth rate especially considering scar tissue, excellent coverage/bald spots reduction
  • I cannot give Dr Ball enough credit for the skill and care he put into his work
  • Looking forward to the next months of future growth, but at this stage I already feel confident enough to clip to a guard 1 or 2, which is such a relief
Photos:
Frontal + crown pre-op / post-op / 2-3 weeks after

frontal_presurgery.JPG

frontal_postsurgery.JPG

crown_post surgery.JPG

frontal_2w after 2nd repair.JPG

Repaired left + to be repaired right side pre-op / post-op

left side_4m after 1st surgery, shaved.JPG

right side_presurgery shaved.JPG

right side_post surgery.JPG

left side_4.5 mo after 2nd repair.JPG

right side repair_2w post 2nd repair.JPG

I hope this helps more people out there, and once again big thanks to the people that helped me find my way

I will also leave some afterthoughts in a separate post, to make it easier to read

All the best,
Paul

P

Paul_

Valued member
Hi again,

I wanted to leave some afterthoughts here, based on my experience and conversations with advisors, doctors and other people with HT experience. I broke it down in 3 categories, to give it structure

Helping others in similar situations:
  • When I started this repair, I had found no documented case exactly like mine, just parts that matched. It was a scary feeling going into uncharted waters. I hope my experience will save some people the stress and uncertainty it caused me
  • I was mentally primed for scarring, poor growth. The result is so much better than expected, at an early stage already
  • I will do a little electrolysis to even out the hairline gap and some few remaining natural hairs I had (I always had that one bald spot in the middle of my forehead), probably some 30-40 hairs
  • I realize my case is anything but typical, as I effectively reverted and removed the pluggy hairline from my 1st botched HT, and that I didn’t have the best hairline to begin with
  • Still, as I cannot take fin long term (side-effects) and am only on oral minox, my baldness will likely advance over time, and going down the route of additional HTs would have caused me more trouble in 5, 10, 20 years’ time. That’s why I prefer being able to keep my hair short, and maintaining a natural balding pattern going forward

The complexity of HT repair
  • Corrective HT surgery is difficult from so many points of view for the doctors and clinics that are able and willing to undertake them. I saw in myself how I was stressed I was in the beginning, gradually building more knowledge and confidence in each step.
  • Also, Dr Ball and David did one amazing thing, they listened and kept my best interest in mind while telling me exactly what was medically feasible and what was not. Most clinics I had talked to when doing my analysis were quick to throw a number of grafts at me, along the lines of “you need an extra X grafts here”, while ignoring my donor repair priority
  • The surgery itself is 3x more time consuming than a regular HT and requires tremendous skill and experience. I saw the focus in Dr Ball’s every single move. For example, he did the extraction of multiple roots under a single follicle, starting from one entry point then chasing them one by one, leaving nothing to chance. Only a handful of doctors globally are able to do this
  • Due to the above, words do little to convey my gratitude to Dr Ball, David A and the whole TMC team. They have it all: integrity, empathy, skill and experience

Patient etiquette
  • We as patients need to make our doctors’ and advisors’ lives easier, due to all the complexity above
  • This is tough because we're jittery, stressed and looking for reassurance that things will be okay
  • My biggest piece of advice, if you find a clinic and doctor you trust: keep your requests simple and achievable (no doctor could have fixed both my donor and hairline, grafts are limited), don’t ask for guarantees that no one can give, do exactly what they tell you including aftercare and scar prevention
  • Lastly, thank them from the bottom of your heart, because a higher repair price is still great value you’re getting for the complexity and time they spend with you, as opposed to taking another simple HT patient instead

Cheers,
Paul

H

hairveteran

Amazing results in both your donor and recipient. In some months that horrible first surgery will be almost forgotten thanks to dr. Ball.