• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Research into a transplant in UK

J

Jowniofownio

Hello all. New to this group and currently researching clinics in UK.

Seems like a mine field from miss information to a variety of prices and I’m struggling to decide.

I have had one face to face consultation which I didn’t like the look of afterwards (HGC) then a number of video calls.

I have noticed that it’s hard to trust trustpilot as the reviews look fake for most and most the clinics seem to offer transplants but the surgeon is actually self employed and comes for the day it seems.

About me: I’m 35, I tried midoxil a few years ago but not recently so possibly could get back on it but don’t remember much difference.
I’ve just started fin so will see how that goes. I have attached a photo of my hair. I am basically receding at the front so just want this areas doing and a natural hairline maybe a little lower than the front of my hair now. I’ve been told between 1500-2500 grafts/hairs (some say they are the same thing but others say not)

I understand “you get what you pay for” but some of the prices I’m seeing are just way out of my budget.

3 clinics I’m leaning towards are LHTC in liverpool (Dr Kumari), Surgery group in Nottingham (dr Ahmad moussa)
and Better body surgery in Manchester (Dr Ditta)

Hard to find much info on all but photos I’ve seen look good, I’ve seen more good reviews on LHTC than bad inc the Geordie Shaw lad who I spoke about with the Dr.

Don’t want to feel I’m rushing into it but soon I have 6 weeks off work so timing wise, it would be ideal.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7310.jpeg
    IMG_7310.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 48
M

MPBsucks1234

Valued member
I would avoid all the above apart from Maitland. Also look at Farjo, Reddy and Belgium Doctors. Feriduni and Bisanga but there are a couple of others over there.

J

Jowniofownio

I would avoid all the above apart from Maitland. Also look at Farjo, Reddy and Belgium Doctors. Feriduni and Bisanga but there are a couple of others over there.
For what reason would you avoid them? I’ve spoken to people happy with results from each. I will look into the ones you mention and compare but unfortunately Maitland is out of my budget personally.

B

Bobbins

For what reason would you avoid them? I’ve spoken to people happy with results from each. I will look into the ones you mention and compare but unfortunately Maitland is out of my budget personally.
What budget are you working with?

The challenge you have is that the UK is expensive compared to some countries and there is a relatively limited group of surgeons operating here.

J

Jowniofownio

What budget are you working with?

The challenge you have is that the UK is expensive compared to some countries and there is a relatively limited group of surgeons operating here.
I’d pay up to £5k personally but I agree with what is said on most posts here that price shouldn’t be the main point on who to choose. Which other European countries offer a good standard for a fair price.

Thanks

B

Bobbins

Have you had any quotes on the number of grafts needed?

Assuming 2000-2500 that puts cost per graft at £2 to £2.50. That will limit your options substantially and increase the amount of research you'll need to do to make a good choice.

Off the top of my head, I would say Turkey, Cyprus or if you would travel further, India or Thailand.

There's scope for picking a terrible surgeon in all of those countries, but there are also relatively safe options in them all too.

I didn't see Dr Mani Mittel mentioned in the UK list. He's one of the up and coming surgeons and so is less expensive than most UK clinics, but you'd still need to pay in the region of 8-10k for a medium sized surgery with him

J

Jowniofownio

Have you had any quotes on the number of grafts needed?

Assuming 2000-2500 that puts cost per graft at £2 to £2.50. That will limit your options substantially and increase the amount of research you'll need to do to make a good choice.

Off the top of my head, I would say Turkey, Cyprus or if you would travel further, India or Thailand.

There's scope for picking a terrible surgeon in all of those countries, but there are also relatively safe options in them all too.

I didn't see Dr Mani Mittel mentioned in the UK list. He's one of the up and coming surgeons and so is less expensive than most UK clinics, but you'd still need to pay in the region of 8-10k for a medium sized surgery with him
Thanks for the reply. Will research some more but for convenience wanted to stay in UK ideally but if I can’t find what I’m looking for, may have to branch out.

Noob question and probably a stupid one but if a surgeon has been offering hair transplants for 10+ years, how can they not be good at what they have spent so long mastering and doing? Surely after that long they should be able to do a brilliant job and if not would have had so many bad reviews probably end up closing down or changing careers :p

As the saying goes “you get what you pay for” but some of the more expensive clinics charge more and are using celebrities to promote them

B

Bobbins

Thanks for the reply. Will research some more but for convenience wanted to stay in UK ideally but if I can’t find what I’m looking for, may have to branch out.

Noob question and probably a stupid one but if a surgeon has been offering hair transplants for 10+ years, how can they not be good at what they have spent so long mastering and doing? Surely after that long they should be able to do a brilliant job and if not would have had so many bad reviews probably end up closing down or changing careers :p

As the saying goes “you get what you pay for” but some of the more expensive clinics charge more and are using celebrities to promote them
I do understand why you'd be tempted to pick someone local.
However, it's a procedure that will influence how you look for the rest of your life. I had one procedure in the UK and another overseas and travelling within the country was as challenging as to another.

Your question on experience - it's a difficult procedure to do well and requires an experienced team (not just surgeon) and enough time spent on a patient. It ultimately becomes a case of supply and demand, country by country cost bases and how many patients they treat with one doctor.

The chef at my local wetherspoons has 10 years experience in a kitchen as has the chef at my favourite Michelin star restaurant. If it were my last meal on earth, I wouldn't eat locally...

Last edited:
J

Jowniofownio

I do understand why you'd be tempted to pick someone local.
However, it's a procedure that will influence how you look for the rest of your life. I had one procedure in the UK and another overseas and travelling within the country was as challenging as to another.

Your question on experience - it's a difficult procedure to do well and requires an experienced team (not just surgeon) and enough time spent on a patient. It ultimately becomes a case of supply and demand, country by country cost bases and how many patients they treat with one doctor.

The chef at my local wetherspoons has 10 years experience in a kitchen as has the chef at my favourite Michelin star restaurant. If it were my last meal on earth, I wouldn't eat locally...
I’m going to expand my search out of UK as doing more digging and farjo is about £7-9k and dr ball is £11k. Is there any you could recommend me looking into in Belgium or Turkey (well anywhere in Europe infact)

Thanks again for your informative replies

B

Bobbins

I’m going to expand my search out of UK as doing more digging and farjo is about £7-9k and dr ball is £11k. Is there any you could recommend me looking into in Belgium or Turkey (well anywhere in Europe infact)

Thanks again for your informative replies
I'm always reluctant to give recommendations since it's such a personal decision.

There was a list that was often provided in response to such questions which I thought was well considered. I will see if I can find it.

Dr Pekiner is well thought of for hairlines (he's based in Turkey). People also talk about Drs Bicer, Gur and Turan as reputable Turkish surgeons.

Belgium is relatively expensive once you've added tax, so may be our of reach.

In Cyprus, HLC are often mentioned. I had my surgery with Dr Michalis Georgiou who I think is excellent.

M

MPBsucks1234

Valued member
Because most surgeons are not at the elite level, I would liken it to football, the elite being the premier league and many others being championship. Sure some surgeons may be good but is good really good enough? You are having work done on your head, not paying for a second hand car.

Personally if budget was an issue I would look at Yamam in Turkey ,Gur and Turin. Closer to home feriduni , Bisanga, Devroye, Mwamba. Farjo cost me £9,200 for 2,200 fue.

Experience does not make you good, if you master your trade from someone who is average then the person with 10 years experience is going to be average.

J

Jowniofownio

Right have been doing lots of research and trying to decide where to go and have narrowed it down to 3. I’m no expert so I don’t know what you get for paying more other than the surgeon doing more of the work them selves.

1st choice: Dr Ted Miln
2nd choice: Dr Gur/Dr Turan
3rd choice: Dr Yaman

All sound very good. 2 mean travelling to Turkey so there is a bit more hassle with the trip etc compared to staying in the UK. All have a good reputation.

Personally I am leaning towards staying in UK and going with Dr Ted but it’s more than double the price of the others and from looking at photos it’s hard to see how they differ (I’m not expert in what to look for). My most important factor is having a natural hairline rather than too straight/pluggy.

Any final advice to help me decide would be much appreciated

Thanks

M

MPBsucks1234

Valued member
If I was to pick my choice would be Yaman but you Gurt and Turan are good surgeons. Not seen enough of Miln's work so cannot really so much about him.

R

RobertManos

All great surgeons. I suspect we’ll be seeing a lot more of Dr Milns work also over the coming year as his popularity rises.

A

Apgold

I have the same dilema as you, would prefer a top UK surgeon, but the costs are out of my budget. I’m 49 and looking to get this done before my big 50! Turkey is looking favourable so it would be great if you could update with your final choice.
Hoping my hair isn’t too far gone

Attachments

• IMG_3413.jpeg
    IMG_3413.jpeg
    151.6 KB · Views: 13
J

Jowniofownio

I have the same dilema as you, would prefer a top UK surgeon, but the costs are out of my budget. I’m 49 and looking to get this done before my big 50! Turkey is looking favourable so it would be great if you could update with your final choice.
Hoping my hair isn’t too far gone
I’m booked in with Dr Miln for may now. On a lower budget I would have considered Dr Gur, Turan or Yaman all in Turkey and loads of reviews on them in here although Dr Gur did say I’d need to have been on finasteride at least 12 months before considering me

A

Apgold

Good look for May, hope all goes well. If I I’m suitable then I’m hoping to be flying to Turkey June/July.