• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Shedding from minoxidil

E

Elliot

I started using Minoxidil about 2 weeks ago once per day before I go to bed. I use the dropper, not the foam. I've noticed some shedding since I started and it's worrisome because I seem to have less hair than when I started. Can anyone share their experience regarding when I can expect the shedding to stop and the hair to start increasing?

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
The shedding is different for each individual. I’m on Finasteride, my hair looked worse at certain months making me contemplate quitting. I stuck with it and glad I did because it then improved.
Stay on it and see what it looks like next month. Post sone pictures on here to monitor and get opinions.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Your hair may be thinner for a few months until the shed hair begins to grow. You have to trust in the process, use concealers to get past the shedding stage.

ninaross

ninaross

You're right, shedding is a common side effect of Minoxidil in the initial stages of use. It might be unsettling to see more hair coming out, but here's some reassurance:
  • Shedding is Temporary: This shedding is called "telogen effluvium" and is caused by Minoxidil pushing weaker hairs out of the resting phase to make way for potentially thicker, healthier hair growth in the future.
  • Expected Timeline: The shedding typically starts 2-8 weeks after starting Minoxidil, and it usually subsides within 4 months of consistent use.
Here's what some people experience with Minoxidil:
  • Some people experience a noticeable shed, while others might have a milder shedding phase.
  • The shedding doesn't necessarily last the full 4 months. It can stop sooner for some users.
  • It can be discouraging to see hair loss, but it's important to be patient and consistent with Minoxidil use for long-term results.
Tips for Managing Shedding:
  • Stay Calm: Remember, the shedding is temporary and part of the process.
  • Track Your Progress: Take photos of your scalp at regular intervals to monitor hair density over time. This can help you see progress even if it doesn't feel immediate.
  • Maintain Consistent Use: Don't stop using Minoxidil because of shedding. Consistency is key for long-term benefits.
When to Consult a Doctor:
  • If the shedding seems excessive or continues for longer than 4 months, consult your dermatologist.
  • If you experience any scalp irritation other than mild dryness, talk to your doctor.