• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Afro Hair Transplant and best

F

Freddo911

Hello mate,

Apologies for the late reply on this. I have just been occupied with exams and work. I am no expert on this subject and as good as newbie like yourself but I can tell you my experience so far.

First thing is try some meds Finasteride and Minoxidil to stabilise and regrow your hair if you can. Let a HT be the last resort. I have actually decided to go down this path as we speak. I have had one proper consultation with Dr. Krishnan of Hillside Clinic and he was kind of pushing for an FUT as it easier obviously and he claimed he could get more grafts harvested as my donor area is not that great. He advised he could get a max of 3k grafts with FUE but can get more with FUT which I am not prepared to have. This will be in two sessions costing me something in region of £15K for the two sessions. I was under no illusion this will be cheap but wasn't expecting it to be that high either.

The FUT would be around 5k but am not prepared to have a scar at the back of my head. With afro hair it's not as straightforward due to the curly nature and general notion is that it's harder to use the FUE technique and takes longer, hence requires someone with experience in that hair type. If your keen on proceeding with a HT always bear this factor in mind that you need a surgeon experienced in afro hair and money shouldn't the primary deciding factor either.

The 2nd consultation with the HairDr I was told I wouldn't be a good candidate for a HT due to my donor area. I understand their reason but also think to some degree they were playing safe. I have a 3rd consultation with a Doctor in Belgium (Dr. Bisanga, BHR Clinic) in early Dec. He's a black doctor with afro hair experience so am hoping I might stand a better chance with him who knows.

I started with topical Finasteride and Minoxidil mixed combo treatment which I reacted to very badly with rashes all over my head including face and neck, itchiness and very acute dryness of the skin hence stopped last week for the sides to clear. I am having a consultation with my GP on Friday with the view to discuss getting on oral Fin starting with a very small dose of 0.25 ml and see how I get on and take it from there. I think I might be allergic to MInoxidil so I'll have to look for another hair growth stimulant to suffice.

Finally, I am sure you've read on multiple threads on this forum that this is not a process to be rushed. You need to get it right first time round as you only have so many grafts at your disposal for a HT and the financial implication for normal working people like us is quite substantial. I'll keep us posted on any further updates from my consultation with Dr. Bisanga and treatments I embark on.

HTH,

Phil
Hi Phil,

Good to hear back, and thanks for the very handy advice. I have really taken my time to read up as much as possible on this subject and the range of treatment options and surgeons, and appreciate how much of a potential minefield it is! I previously tried finasteride and minoxidil foam for a couple of years with no discernible benefit. Looking back now, perhaps it slightly slowed my loss.

So, I feel I’ve reached the point to definitely explore hair transplantation. If I am a suitable candidate, I definitely do not want a long scar on the back of my head, and so FUE would be my choice (the other appealing advantage over FUT being the quicker recovery/donor site healing time, I think). I have read similar things about the challenges of FUE on afro hair, so that is a concern – and I guess, finding the right, experienced surgeon is so important.

I’ve come across Dr Bisanga’s name but haven’t yet found any images of examples of FUE he has performed on male afro hair. It does look like he is very experienced though, and I suspect I just haven’t looked hard enough. I would certainly approach him if I find no one convincingly reassuring in Brexit Britain! I am arranging consultations with that Nottingham clinic (Hillside) and I also contacted Farjo clinic quite some time back but they have been slow to come back to me. I’d be very interested to know what you think of Bisanga after your consultation.

If it turns out I am unsuited to FUE, I may resign myself to SMP. I’ve even considered doing this anyway while awaiting FUE but obviously additional cost, and not sure whether having SMP negatively affects a FUE...

Cheers

Al

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
This may help.

abhinavbhatt

abhinavbhatt

Afro hair transplant in black patients. This curl also means that FUE is difficult and often impossible to perform on Afro hair, although mixed-race patients frequently have straighter, less tight curls.