• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

an interisting article on male pattern baldness

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
hi guys read this the other day and found some of it interesting so i thought id share with you all on here

Male pattern baldness is the most common form of baldness. Baldness usually starts with the hair at the temples, which gradually recedes to form an "M" shape. It is affected by three factors, namely age, inheritance to bald early and an abundance of the male hormone dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is the main androgen implicated in male pattern baldness. 5-alpha reductase enzyme converts the testosterone into DHT, which damages the susceptible follicles, and baldness will set in.

It affects some 25% of men in their 20 €™s and an astounding 2/3 of all men after the age of 60. Estimates suggest more than 80 per cent of cases are hereditary. Expenditures for hair transplantation in the United States alone exceeded $115 million in 2007, while global revenues for medical therapy for male-pattern baldness recently surpassed $405 million.

The effects of baldness can be devastating with social and psychological consequences. Men can be very sensitive about baldness. Young men in particular, who experience substantial hair loss at an early age, fall victim to low self esteem, even resulting in depression. From a survey done in Australia in 1998 of 850 men aged between 18 and 40, a quarter of these men reported low self-esteem as a result of losing their hair and one fifth of them felt less attractive. A massive three quarters of them believed that balding men looked older than non-balding men. A further 16% of them felt inferior compared to men with no hair loss.

Common treatment options for male pattern baldness
Baldness is a normal part of the ageing process for most men. No treatment is needed by most affected men. For some men, baldness can be distressing, particularly if it is excessive or occurs early in life. Treatment may then help. Today, there are a myriad of options the customers can choose from to suit their individual and specific needs.

Minoxidil (Rogaine)
It is a solution that is applied directly to the scalp to initiate growth in the hair follicles. It was the hair medication of choice for years, because in many men it not only slowed down the process of hair loss but also could grow new hair follicles. Evidence shows that minoxidil is effective in frontal areas of the scalp, and not just in the vertex area in male-pattern hair loss. But the previous degree of hair loss returns when you stop applying the solution. Most patients found the 5% solution more effective than the 3% variant, but this could sometimes be irritating and have a greasy feel. Side-effects are uncommon. For example, skin irritation or a rash sometimes occurs.

Finasteride (Propecia, Proscar)
It works by blocking the conversion of testosterone to dihydrotestosterone. The hair follicles are then not affected by this hormone, and can enlarge back to normal. Propecia has been found to be very effective in slowing hair loss than promoting new hair growth, but its effectiveness in this regard has been remarkable, making it a very popular male baldness treatment. The previous degree of hair loss returns when you stop taking the drug. Side-effects are uncommon. The most common is that about 2 in 100 treated men report loss of sex drive (libido).

Hair transplants
Hair transplants consist of transplanting bald resistant hair follicles from areas where the hair is continuing to grow and placing them in areas that are balding. The transplanted hair follicles will typically grow hair for a lifetime because they are genetically resistant to going bald.The procedure usually requires multiple transplantation sessions and may be expensive. Results, however, are often excellent and permanent.

In recent years hair transplantation techniques have evolved from using large plugs and micro/mini grafts to exclusively using large numbers of small grafts that contain from between 1 to 4 hairs called follicular units.

bullitnut

bullitnut

No worries matey, (its dry now)(_::)
BN

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
Only Joking BN!! I edited it as I thought what with the recent furuore surrounding transparancy, it would be taken the wrong way

Hope you are ok.~LV

bullitnut

bullitnut

I never take anything the wrong way pal, cheers though dude:)
I had a little giggle when i read it you should have left it bro

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of money involved in this industry.

Interesting read.

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
BN...

Yep.. a great article if you are a complete Hair Geek...

Which of course 99% of us on here are... so... good read mate
:)

Last edited: