• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Anaesthetic pain / discomfort

S

Saint4805

Hi everyone, is anyone able to confirm if the pain/discomfort is comparable with getting local anaesthetic at the dentist or is it considerably worse? Like a sharp / burning sensation that subsides after say 30 seconds to a minute? Obviously more injections are administered during a HT and so I would imagine the discomfort would last longer than say at the dentist where there are only usually, on average, one or two injections when getting a filling for example.

Thanks in advance.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It all depends on how big of a surgery you`re getting for the number of initial injections. Lots of clinics use a vibrating device to distract you and trick your nerves.
While it gently vibrates against your head the needle will be inserted. If done by an experienced person you feel nothing.
If they simply insert a needle you feel a sharp sting that lasts a few seconds. It`s not that bad but depends on each individual's pain thresholds. During surgery they will top up your injections at set intervals unless you feel it wearing off, then just tell them you felt it and they`ll top you up.

Some clinics will have needle free anaesthetic. This is administered by the anaesthetic soaking/pressured through your skin without breaking the surface. However, I`ve heard many reports it did not work too well and they needed an injection as well whilst others said it worked great.

So it`s a few seconds of discomfort with each injection if no distraction technique used.

Desmond

Desmond

This short video shows the anaesthetic being injected and pain management.

B

Baldingman23

Valued member
Weeks before my HT I started panicking about the injection and if they were going to hurt. My whole experience was completely pain free. Dr Arshad used some device that shot some numbing agent into the skin so quick via pressure (it felt like a nerf gun) once this divide was used then he injected the needle in which I couldn’t feel at all.

S

Saint4805

It all depends on how big of a surgery you`re getting for the number of initial injections. Lots of clinics use a vibrating device to distract you and trick your nerves.
While it gently vibrates against your head the needle will be inserted. If done by an experienced person you feel nothing.
If they simply insert a needle you feel a sharp sting that lasts a few seconds. It`s not that bad but depends on each individual's pain thresholds. During surgery they will top up your injections at set intervals unless you feel it wearing off, then just tell them you felt it and they`ll top you up.

Some clinics will have needle free anaesthetic. This is administered by the anaesthetic soaking/pressured through your skin without breaking the surface. However, I`ve heard many reports it did not work too well and they needed an injection as well whilst others said it worked great.

So it`s a few seconds of discomfort with each injection if no distraction technique used.

Thanks BigMac - that is helpful. The clinics I am considering only use the needle and are not using painless or needle free options.

I have only experienced local anaesthetic at the dentist which is my only frame of reference. A stinging/burning sensation for a few seconds sounds about right. If it's on a par with that then I am not overly concerned.

S

Saint4805

Weeks before my HT I started panicking about the injection and if they were going to hurt. My whole experience was completely pain free. Dr Arshad used some device that shot some numbing agent into the skin so quick via pressure (it felt like a nerf gun) once this divide was used then he injected the needle in which I couldn’t feel at all.

Thanks mate - that is helpful. I like the idea of this numbing agent in order to reduce the pain and discomfort.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It is relatively painless. it can be a little uncomfortable and as I said, a little sharp stinging pain for a few seconds at most.
I forgot to mention some will use numbing cream before the injection. I believe most clinics will give you valium prior to this to relax you.
So don`t worry about it, it will be a breeze.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
When I had my injections the first one injected was to the main nerve in my forehead... Once that took effect, the rest was done in the hairline and I never felt anything. In the donor and recipient area it was a little sting for a few seconds just like Bm says.