• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Anyone on or tried Dutasteride?

H

Herr Loss

Just curious to see if anybody has experience with this stuff as it seems like a more effective version of fin blocking out both types of 5-alpha reductase and inhibits more DHT.

The half-life is also longer than fin (3-4 days) so theoretically you don't need to take it every day.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
There is a higher chance of side effects with it which is why I believe most people are using Finasteride and then switch to Avodart when they think the Finasteride is losing its efficiency.
Are you thinking of using Avodart straight away or switching?

duffman

duffman

Valued member
Do you know at what point fin starts to lose its effectiveness?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
There is no timeline. Some people say between 5 - 10 years, while others have quoted longer.
I’ve been using it for 15 years and it is still working.
Some peoples DHT levels may rise over time, making the Fin less effective.
There really is no clear answer and I don’t believe any long term clinical studies have been done.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
Like BM I've been using it over ten years and it's still working for me.....I'd be a little scared of taking Dut myself due to higher side effect risks but saying that if the Fin stops working I might feel differently and give it a whirl.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I thought about using it when I was having a bad shed but then with the advice I got from the members I stuck it out with Finasteride which proved to be a winner in the end.
sorry I’m not able to answer your question about usage.

H

Herr Loss

There is a higher chance of side effects with it which is why I believe most people are using Finasteride and then switch to Avodart when they think the Finasteride is losing its efficiency.
Are you thinking of using Avodart straight away or switching?

Hi Bigmac, thanks for your response.

I've been on Fin for a couple of years which has stabilised things significantly so I don't have plans to change things yet, I was just curious to know how effective it was in comparison.

I will probably add it in to my regime once a week if I find myself losing ground but hopefully that won't be for some time yet :)

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hopefully you don't lose ground at all or for a very long time. Maybe hair cloning will be out by then but I reckon there'll be people living on the moon before that happens.