• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Anyone regret their transplant?

P

pluspoint

Firstly I`d like to thank everyone who contributes to this forum.... Its a refreshing read. Now lets go straight to my question.... How many people regret having a transplant? Not one from years ago - but more recently.... the last few years to be precise.

With technology improving and all the future possibily of hair cloning - Histogen and the rest are people more likely to hold off having a transplant?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I am pleased with my results so i`m pleased i went down the HT route,i`m only happy with the most recent HT`s 2008 onwards and not the one in 2005 and two prior to that one.

I have read lots about all the new future developments and like everyone else i`m very skeptical until i see proven results.Hopefully some of them will work but imo we are still a good few years away.

If cloning does become a reality,anyone who has undergone a HT can have both the donor supply and the balding area replenished in theory.

Hope that helps.

bm.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
Well i'm only just over a month post op atm, so I wouldnt say I regret my latest HT at all, but I regret all the previous ones done by bad doctors leading me to need repair.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Hi Pluspoint

A transplant is a life changing decision for most people, it can be for better or for worse really as seen on this forum. Research is therefore vital and hopefully forums such as this one will ensure that more and more patients will be happy with their end result.

I am personally very happy with my result, I am asked often how much I spent on it in total and for me I always reply I would not wish for the money back and revert to how I was prior to surgery. That is in essence how the ideal patient should be.

Sometimes happiness or lack of it is not always purely down to the result but to expectations, we all want more hair and some will get what they want and some will not. It not always therefore down to a bad surgeon when we are not happy but can be due to limitations that the patient has, the donor capacity, the technique, the design etc, so expectations must also be realistic.

Happiness at the end of the day is very subjective and i've met people in my travels with under par transplants who are totally happy with the surgery they have had with "whomever", yet another person would not be happy with the same result, so it works both ways and is more complex than the surgery result per se.

Good question though and one that has many factors to consider.

Last edited:
P

parable

Valued member
I have to be really honest here and say for a long while I regretted my decision in going for a hair transplant. Rest assured, it wasn't so much the hair transplant procedure itself but rather the doctor that I went with. I agree with Stephen that it is imperative that every prospective patient does their research. The heartache and pain that I went through was really traumatic and could of been avoided if I did more thorough research and sifted through the hype..

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
I haven't had a HT, but have been researching for a couple of years, I can only think of two major reasons why one would regret a HT, i'm sure there might be more (i.e., the trauma)

1) You have a poor doctor perform the surgery & have poor growth/scars etc

2) You loose alot more hair and progress to a high NW level, I think theres going to be alot of people like this in time as there are alot of NW 6' and 7's out there.

J

JJ09

I regret having my hair transplants €¦first one being in the early nineties. I have needed to wear a cap ever since €¦never being able to just walk out the front door without a cap has certainly been detrimental to my working and social life.

If the results I had would just have been poor growth/density but still looked natural €¦then I may have been disappointed but probably not have regretted it.

H

hairtech

Pluspoint,

Unfortunately, politics in this industry keeps me from being as specific as you want or need in terms of answering your question of...

"How many people regret having a transplant? Not one from years ago - but more recently.... the last few years to be precise."

However I will tell you this... The internet over the last 5 years has become a double edged sword...

The internet brought out the bad surgeries and those who performed them from the 1990's.

The internet also provided a platform for companies, clinics, and private doctors to market their product no matter if they actually can or cannot back up a great result... (One clinic in particular from India stole pictures from Hasson and Wong (Canada) and marketed them as if they were theirs. It worked.)

The internet changed the industry.

And I can only say this to you pluspoint... Even today there are a plethora of folks who are not satisfied with their results in today's times... many of these guys have told me personally that they were duped by a website that showed perfect results (i.e. a Dubai clinic) AND they ended up at our clinic for a repair.

But there are a plethora of patients that are satisfied with their results also these days.

Continue to do your research bro.::}{:

R

runman

Valued member
I totally regret my HT mostly because of the poor surgeon i choose. If i knew then what i know now i would have never had a HT. I would have used the meds only.

B

Badlocks

Be very careful as the internet is a powerful marketing tool for good and bad. I was disgusted with my first choice and regret the day I set foot in his clinic. Thankfully I have enough donor to repair the mess he created.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
I totally regret my first choice of clinic....the poor decision i chose stole ten+ years of my life, i sooooo wish i had researched better and gone to a good surgeon back then but i will say i'm V happy with my repair at SMG i just wish i had gone there years ago;)

W

wylie

Valued member
Of course I regret my HT, as it turned out poorly and the doctor (The late Robert Thomas, may he roast in Hell) was the Bernie Madoff of doctors.

But I often wonder: What if I had of waited? I likely still would have done this even if I waited, and if it turned out perfect?

I think I'd still regret it. As long as you are absolutely certain that you dont plan on just shaving your head someday, I'd recommend a HT to the right candidate who chooses the right doctor.

However, if you change your mind and want to shave your head someday, forget about it. Even with FUE there is no guarantee the donor site will not be obvious.

Just make sure you ask yourself all the right questions, and then do the same with whatever doctor you decide to go with. If you dont like the answers you get, don't do it, or go somewhere else. Get plenty of opinions as well.

B

beardywierdy

What a Tool
Hi

I don't regret my HT in itself, nor do I regret the surgeon I chose. I spent years messing around with my hair ensuring that the recession area was covered etc and I spent years worrying. Now I don't have that anymore; I get up and get on with my life. My only concern is that I will have to revisit it at some point, as the propecia will only do so much, so in maybe 5 years, I might have to go for a top up, and that is the downside; once you start you can't stop and no one can predict how much you will lose in the future.

The other day, I bumped into someone with whom I went to school and we were talking about the old days and got on to ageing and he said that was p*ssed off with going bald and went on to say, 'but you are ok as you haven't lost any'. It made me appreciate my HT, as you sort of forget and assume that your hair has always been like that. Thanks to Dr Feriduni

Cheers BW

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
That is a good question...

Being like many on here I regret my first HT (or should I say my crappy pluggy HT).... I also regret "having to have a repair"... not that I am unhappy with the results just having to go through all the recovey time etc etc.. the results are worth it and the fact my hairline looks natural again has given me back so much confidence...Its strange as I forget about my hair now... maybe because no-one looks at it anymore...

This site is great..and you will not go wrong if you follow the advice on here from the Vets like BigM, NN etc etc.. and the actual people involved in the Surgery like Janna etc etc

Timbo

D

drmwamba

Valued member
Ask yourself the right questions : am I williing to cut it off one day and live bald ?

The first good solution is no HTS and learn to accept your baldness.

Secundo , do your research :gather informations about Dr ,techniques , alternatives treatments ,meet patients ,etc... and build up your own opinion .

Tertio, have realistics expectations

Don't rush into surgery because of your emotions .You may regret it if you fall into bad hands .

H

hairtech

Great points Dr. Mwamba... (By the way... call me this week. I tried to call you. It concerns the conference in Boston)

And to give an additional point... We at SMG last week performed a plug redistribution from a fellow that has had to live with his plugs for 15 + years. We removed 80 plugs from his frontal 1/3rd. Then we dissected the pugs into natural 1's, 2's, and 3's. and placed them into a more natural area for his hair loss. He was so happy.

The point for even mentioning this is so that readers out there who have had previous horrible work can see that there are options for fixing this. Bullinut knows this as well.

And there are a plethora of physicians that do this every day... including Dr. Mwamba,
Bisanga, and others.

Z

zionaxel

Valued member
I regret it obviously basically it was the wrong time and place, im not sure if anybody actually had a good transplant in the 90 ´s if so i would like to hear about it?
How i see it if i had not made the mistake of having it done in the first place i doubt very much that i would be interested in having a transplant now. Im pretty sure with the passage of time i would of shaved my head and thought nothing more about it.

There really is nothing wrong with a shaved head when you are loosing your hair..