• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Are there any effective alternatives to minoxidil?

S

Smith

Hi everyone. I've been living with hair loss for a good while now & I'm looking to try something new. My hairline has receded at the corners & I have an area of thinning at the crown. I take finasteride, so the next logical step should probably be minoxidil. Before I commit though, are there any reliable alternatives to minoxidil? I've heard people claiming that various oils are equally effective. It would be good to try something for a bit &, if doesn't work, quit without worrying about any adverse effects. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

M

MPBsucks1234

Valued member
The ones that are considered alternative are more experimental and an extreme lack of cases that they actually work.

S

Smith

Fair enough. Still, although the clinical data is, as of yet, insufficient, I think there is more evidence for some treatments (rosemary oil) as opposed to others (onion juice). But I fully admit that I'm not an expert & I may be mistaken. Regardless, I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has any anecdotal evidence for treatments they may have tried. Thanks.

M

MPBsucks1234

Valued member
I know there was tricomin spray and revivogen which claimed to work . I tried them 15 years ago rather than using finasteride at the time. IMO both were rubbish.

S

Smith

Thanks MPBsucks1234. I'm already on finasteride but I'm looking to add something else to the mix. I'll probably try minoxidil eventually. My reluctance at the moment is because I know that, once I start it, I'll be too scared to stop it, so that, even if it doesn't work, I'll be using it for the rest of my life. I'll maybe give the Revivogen a go, although I won't hold my breath. Thanks.

M

MPBsucks1234

Valued member
The game changer for me was oral minoxidil, there are others such as RU but of course lacks clinical data.

M

MPBsucks1234

Valued member
I saw a massive improvement. In my last HT I had my crown and mid section treated, soon after starting oral minoxidil everything practically thickened up, regrowth that I thought would not be possible again.

S

Smith

soon after starting oral minoxidil everything practically thickened up, regrowth that I thought would not be possible again
That's great to hear. I've been searching the internet & there are quite a few alternatives, but, like you said, they lack clinical data. A few of the companies have conducted their own trials, but the number of participants is too small, & assessment of the results is often based on the participants' perceptions, rather than some more objective criteria, so it's difficult to draw any firm conclusions.

D

Denmarkhair

The Finasteride and Minoxidil lotions and sprays are a lot better these days and more effective to what they were previously