• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

BHR Clinic - Challenges of FUE on Patients with Limitations

Raphael84

Raphael84

Valued member
I am very pleased to welcome in the new year with our first "Bitesize with Bisanga".

The amount of feedback and support that we have received since beginning "Bitesize with Bisanga" back in 2020 has been overwhelming and the value that is presented and subjects discussed with content directly from Dr. Bisanga has been greatly appreciated and is often cited at our consultations.

With that in mind and with still so much more to be able to give and educate the community, we wanted to continue with the content but with a revised fresher and more modern approach and presentation that we are confident will be a more enjoyable watch and more educational in terms of retaining key points and messaging.

As we navigate 2022, we would love to hear from all members of the community and those that enjoy the content in regard to questions that you may like discussed by Dr. Bisanga and any other ideas/content that you believe would serve and assist the forum and its users.

Back to this Bitesize episode -

FUE takes from donor density but is the GO TO technique today. For many, the challenges are that they may have below average native density, fine hair and large loss!
So, this episode presents and discusses the recent surgery and candidacy of Dr. Kostis. You will see not only the theory in regards to the approach, but also the result!
This episode will give you two decades of experience in a few minutes straight from Dr.Bisanga himself in a dynamic and interesting video and how he hacked this case to give an astounding result with limited grafts.

Enjoy!!!

R

Ronnie

This is very interesting to watch. I’m some way from surgery and have a year to see what the meds can do first, but it’s clear that I’m probably looking at a compromised result, with being a Norwood 5 and having average donor availability.

I‘m totally fine with a high hairline and then it will be interesting to hear what the balance is between adding density on top vs trying to cover everything with a bit less density. TBH I’d be fine if I was basically framed from the front but with a visible crown still, that wouldn’t be abnormal for a 46 year old guy.

Raphael84

Raphael84

Valued member
For those, myself included, who are destined for a more extensive pattern of loss, a higher hairline to allow grafts to reach further back and achieve more coverage is essential.

But you maybe surprised how many guys really pursue that lower straighter hairline without giving much thought to the necessity for their hairline to be appropriate as they age and as loss may progress further.

Whilst there is always a balance, spreading grafts to achieve more coverage to the detriment of “necessary/appropriate” density (not high density), is rarely the best approach.

Despite what patients may feel beforehand, that as much coverage as possible albeit thin would be preferred, and this is understandable to think this way, however such an approach often leaves the patient somewhat underwhelmed with the illusion of density and volume.

There is most definitely a limit to how low density can be placed in favour of coverage whilst still being able to achieve the desired “illusion”.
This differs from one patient to the next based on hair texture, diameter, characteristics, hair groupings etc

As you say, hair medication can be a key factor. Another potential option for the right candidates is now to supplement with beard/body to utilize another donor source, but again this requires the understanding of such sources and limitations that they present such as predominantly single hairs etc

R

Ronnie

I am actually growing my beard out to see how dense it is - I think I am going to be limited in terms of grafts from the head, so may need to look elsewhere. Also fairly hairy on the chest too, so that could be an option.

I have a question and it’s one I’ve not seen answered elsewhere. Is back hair suitable for transplant? Only since I’ve been in my 40’s I seem to have grown some and TBH it would do me a favour to lose all this, I wouldn’t be bothered about scarring as I rarely have my shirt off and wouldn’t see it anyway.