• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Body Hair Transplantation...Some interesting considerations to think about...

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Nice video Stephen. It explains a lot about the use of body hair, the strengths and the weakness of it. It is interesting how Finasteride based products can cause these hairs to die off which is a big concern if a lot is being used from various bodily features.
You say the body hair grafts you had have softened over time and taken on the characteristics of scalp hair. Do they grow at the same rate as your scalp hair?
As for the torso image, you just don`t want to show off posting yours.

Reactions: sl
T

Todd

How do the punch holes heal from the grats extracted from the face, not from under the chin or neck?

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
@Bigmac, I shave very short, i.e to 1mm, so hard to monitor growth variation at that length but to touch over the years it does feel softer to my hand for sure.

@ Todd, good question. From personal experience and from the years of working with the clinic I have not seen healing issues and I have around 1400 beard take, and some have had far more, as in this patient here who wet shaved and showed photos also after few thousand taken over multiple surgeries.

I enclose his photos and link to case:-

1587374407036.png

The beard area does from my experience heal very fast and we shave and cut ourselves there and the body heals quickly and in my own case I wet shaved for many years after and met even users here on this forum to examine my beard etc.

One I met and I was very tanned and he didn't see a mark and actually on another forum documented that, that even with a tan I didn't myself have any signs of the surgery and I had extractions from above the jaw line also.

Different skin tones may vary in how they heal, so it is prudent to test first if there are doubts and go to the less visible areas, monitor and then review before committing to larger numbers, and we can start also under the chin area for that and get a good number usually.

But I can say in sincerity with all of the beard work we have done I have not had patients report healing issues apart from one only in the past 11 years and he had other issues that effected healing in general and not related to beard work per se.

Here I am at 6 days post beard hair taken.

day 6 healing.jpg
day 6 more.jpg
day 6 side.jpg

And here with a wet shave after.

wet shave .jpg

Attachments

• ejj.jpg
    ejj.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 139
S

Scarred UP

Sl, are you able to grow a beard or does it look patchy after those extractions?

sl

sl

Yes, I have no problem with growing a beard. You wouldn't know I had a graft taken from it. Also the patient above had 3x more than me taken from beard and still grows. Ill see if I can get some photos also.

sl

sl

This is one of the patients from the presentation, called "ejj" on forums. Now 52 and this is his beard after 3800 grafts taken. Some salt and pepper look but nothing to show the surgery. Actually today he told me that the difference to the scalp has been huge and doesn't have concerns of walking in windy days and people's eyes burning into the back of his head. Very happy for him and he still has the possibility to shave or not.
IMG-20200420-WA0059.jpg

S

Scarred UP

His beard still looks good. Did he have a very high density in his beard before the transplant?

T

Todd

Does the beard area heal better because the skin is thicker and has more elasticicty than the thinner skin on the skin? It seems a more condensed level of extractions can be taken from the beard as well when comparing the same size area to a scalp donor area.
Do you think it would be possible for someone to have every single graft extracted from the beard/face? They all could be mixed in with scalp hair, this would cut out the need to shave. If a small punch used, it could heal with no visible signs or maybe it`s just too much for the skin to cope with. I`m just running these ideas round my head.

sl

sl

@Scarred UP, the patient had a good beard but to me it doesn't visibly look different now. Especially as we spread the extractions as far as possible. I will see if he has pre surgery photos also.

@Todd, the area is very vascular, we shave daily and cut ourselves and it heals well and different parts heal differently, so my chin area took a bit longer as the more fleshy area. For us the idea has been to tap into but not eradicate the beard and even with some patients now we have hit 3 or 4k from the beard and the beard still looks good. The more you take then the more sessions are needed and extract in a nice pattern not to choke any one area as this all plays part in healing and I think one of the keys also to this.

This patient had circa 4500 beard taken:-

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for clarifying the hair feels softer.
Both yours and Ejj`s beard area`s look very good after all those extractions.

sl

sl

Some more of today and yesterday with no shave....still good and no one knows I have had a hair taken..
Screenshot_20200421-111047 - Copy.png
Screenshot_20200421-130951.png
Screenshot_20200423-084753.png
Screenshot_20200423-084708.png

Last edited:
T

Todd

Thanks for the explanation Sl. Your beard just looks as though it is naturally thinner than some of the bearded hipsters you see.

sl

sl

This is just a few days growth and also a lot of grey and I took in natural light but grey is harder to see for sure on camera. The more I grow it the thicker it is but I usually keep it at 1mm daily. Here I just let it grow for 2 days to photo.

sl

sl

Sure, but to be honest it doesn't bother me and certainly not enough to dye anything...growing older gracefully now..hahaha….

sl

sl

Older for sure, the other part who knows..haaha..