• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Crown area 9 months post-OP

J

JasonC

Hi there,
I had a FUE on 28th of april 2019, so it’s been almost 9 months by now. I can’t really tell you the amount of grafts but the doctors promised me that it will be enough grafts to get an appropriate density. Unfortunately, I still have bald areas on top of the head/ crown (see attached fotos for state of hair before the HT, results directly after the OP, 3 months post-OP and today). Is it still growing? What is your experience with this area? Can I still expect that it will be covered?

Thanks.

3BF7CE6F-58B6-41E6-8134-30A44A48A947.jpeg

Attachments

• 3C7C9BCB-06B8-4EAB-96A5-9D35A4AB0734.png
    3C7C9BCB-06B8-4EAB-96A5-9D35A4AB0734.png
    281.3 KB · Views: 433
  • D9A1E689-C570-4791-94A7-EA6A4AD8C4EC.jpeg
    D9A1E689-C570-4791-94A7-EA6A4AD8C4EC.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 448
  • AD7C6E58-1DF4-4859-B28D-0B68383A2B64.jpeg
    AD7C6E58-1DF4-4859-B28D-0B68383A2B64.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 550
TOMMYTWO

TOMMYTWO

Valued member
Crown is notoriously slower to grow, so try to be patient....where did you get it done?

As Tommytwo said, crown work is generally slower in maturing than frontal areas. Normal conditions it´s best to properly assess closer to the twelve month mark but even then the hair can still change and mature for a few months month. Obviously, knowing the number of grafts, but also the hair count would help to gauge the distribution compared to the area needed to be covered.

A crown is a wide area once is begins to expand. It´s not a flat surface and opens out to reach the sides, back and mid-scalp areas. On an expanding crown it´s often the case of deciding on which plan you wish to take. Spreading hair to cover the area at the expense of density or maybe focus on density at the expense of total coverage. Due to the surface area of an expanding crown there is a hunger for a lot of grafts. Easily in some cases needing more than the frontal and mid-scalp combined. As a result it´s often not possible to give a totally thick look when no scalp is visible. This is especially the case round the central spiral of the crown that even with a healthy good head of hair shows signs of the scalp as we age.

Maybe return to your Doctor for an assessment and ask for the grafts and hair count, compare this to the surface area treated, whether you had existing hair prior and whether this has thinned or miniaturised over the last 9 months or so. You could still see and feel improvements over the coming months so worth discussing with your Doctor the planning and expectations first. Best of luck and hair growth.

J

JasonC

Crown is notoriously slower to grow, so try to be patient....where did you get it done?

Thank you! Clinimed in Istanbul, Turkey. The surgery took around 9 hours. I felt being treated very well there.

J

JasonC

As Tommytwo said, crown work is generally slower in maturing than frontal areas. Normal conditions it´s best to properly assess closer to the twelve month mark but even then the hair can still change and mature for a few months month. Obviously, knowing the number of grafts, but also the hair count would help to gauge the distribution compared to the area needed to be covered.

A crown is a wide area once is begins to expand. It´s not a flat surface and opens out to reach the sides, back and mid-scalp areas. On an expanding crown it´s often the case of deciding on which plan you wish to take. Spreading hair to cover the area at the expense of density or maybe focus on density at the expense of total coverage. Due to the surface area of an expanding crown there is a hunger for a lot of grafts. Easily in some cases needing more than the frontal and mid-scalp combined. As a result it´s often not possible to give a totally thick look when no scalp is visible. This is especially the case round the central spiral of the crown that even with a healthy good head of hair shows signs of the scalp as we age.

Maybe return to your Doctor for an assessment and ask for the grafts and hair count, compare this to the surface area treated, whether you had existing hair prior and whether this has thinned or miniaturised over the last 9 months or so. You could still see and feel improvements over the coming months so worth discussing with your Doctor the planning and expectations first. Best of luck and hair growth.

Thank you! Your answer gave me hope. I will update you in 3 months again, which is the 12 months mark.

Another question: what can I do now to secure hair growing in the crown area? Iam taking Minodixil since day 12 post-OP. Is there another recommendation how to proceed?

There is another problem as I feel my hair is still shedding 9 months post-OP, everytime when I strike it with my hands, but positive progress is visible. My doctor sais that this is normal procedure. Can you confirm this?

Last edited:
Thank you! Your answer gave me hope. I will update you in 3 months again, which is the 12 months mark.

Another question: what can I do now to secure hair growing in the crown area? Iam taking Minodixil since day 12 post-OP. Is there another recommendation how to proceed?

There is another problem as I feel my hair is still shedding 9 months post-OP, everytime when I strike it with my hands, but positive progress is visible. My doctor sais that this is normal procedure. Can you confirm this?

Hi @JasonC, Glad it helped a little. In regards to treatment, minoxidil is an FDA approved hair loss treatment along with 1mg finasteride tablet. If you wanted to visit your Doctor and first become accustomed to the possible side effects before starting. Hair will shed daily and it´s not uncommon to shed around 100 hairs per day. Normally we have around 90% visible and 10% dormant.

The hair cycle grows back the same number to ensure a balanced head of hair is maintained. Sometimes a health condition, stress etc can cause an interruption in this normal cycle that causes less to regrow or more the shed whichever way you want to look at it. This is normally temporary and the cycle balances out again. Using a treatment like minoxidil is good in your case and important you keep it up to complement your hair transplant and maintain the best head of hair you can. Hope this helps and look forward to your updates.

J

JasonC

Thanks again. I think I will stick with Minodixil as I heard about worse consequences of taking finasteride pills.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
How`s your result looking as it will have passed the 12 month mark now?

J

JasonC

How`s your result looking as it will have passed the 12 month mark now?

Hey Bigmac,

thanks for your interest.
Here is a foto from yesterday. I shaved my head meanwhile, just to see if new hair is still growing.
I hope that some more hair is coming out until passing the 15 month mark as there are some black dots especially in the backhead area (not sure if this is going to happen). But all in all, the density is not really satisfactory to me.

Attachments

• DAA499F7-5267-4AD7-8FDA-559481966FE2.jpeg
    DAA499F7-5267-4AD7-8FDA-559481966FE2.jpeg
    128.8 KB · Views: 448
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It is still thin. Crowns use up a lot of grafts, so you may need another pass if you require more density. Finasteride worked really well for my crown area.
How many grafts did you actually get?

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
Hi there Jason. Are you using Finasteride at all and how many grafts did you have transplanted?

R

robertgiol

I think you have to use Finasteride 1 mg per day for crown and you can use minoxidil sprey for crown area too. They will be really help for crown area because of crown area result is really slowly and crown area blood circulation is not perfectly too.