• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Diet and effects on Hair ??

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Does anyone know if a change of diet can cause hair loss... I assume it can but....

Just asking as I have had a change of diet over the past few weeks.... having gone from what was probably a high carbohydrate diet to a very low one....

Maybe my imagination.... but there seem to be an awful lot more hairs in the sink recently.....

Any thoughts ????

Tim

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Eating not enough of certain foods can have an effect on your hair.

Haven`t really looked into it much but ive read about it,maybe someone else has lookid into it in more detail.

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Hey Tim,

I seriously doubt it. At *most* unhealthy living can merely accelerate the aging process. From what I've read, all scientific studies/accounts of all men who suffer from MPB are genetically predispositioned to do so; stress can cause *temporary* hair loss, but then it grows back.

I've seen plenty of starving, drunken homeless men in the streets w/full heads of hair; so I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. Your probably just going through a natural shed, which even men who don't suffer from MPB do as well.

My thoughts on the topic anyway...

Last edited:
timuk

timuk

N2

You are always the voice of reason , had not thought about it that way ... Yep , loads of homeless people , couch potatoes and even the poor souls we see on TV starving to death all have a natural proportion of balding / very hairy guys .

Back to the drawing board on that one

So , can go back to stuffing myself with all those lovely carb rich foods I love ...

N2... Cheers

Tim

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Tim,

For the most part NG2GB is correct. Hairloss is most certainly affected by diet but unless you are living in 3rd world squaler, I rather doubt that your diet would affect your hairloss.

Now if your diet is similar to these peoples.... "Haiti is the poorest country in the Western Hemisphere. The small island nation relies heavily on imported food, but with prices soaring, some Haitians are filling their stomachs with dirt. Cookies made of clay, butter and salt are a traditional remedy for hunger, and are even considered to have health benefits €” the clay contains minerals such as calcium. But it can also contain germs and toxins, and depending on these dirt cookies for sustenance can lead to malnutrition."

NN

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
our lass is a vegy and ive been put on a bloody vegy diet as she says im too fat ;;D so can i get these dirt cookies at walmart im bloody starving:T:

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
In all seriousness though, it certainly puts things in perspective. People on this planet spend every waking hour trying to provide food for themselves and family and we bums are worried about our hairloss. We all need to thank God for our blessings in life.

NN

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
hmmm... This is something I often ponder about when I frequent these forums, is a HT ethical, is it right to spend £/$ 10,000 on a HT when people can't even provide food for themselves and their families, I €™m sure their needs are greater than ours. It seems ironic that people in the US/UK are actually dieing because they are eating too much (obesity) and then their are those people in the Africa whom are dieing because they don €™t have enough to eat.

timuk

timuk

Shang...

To be honest its how you feel... are many things we buy in the Western world ethical...

I suppose the answer would be "NO"...

But... why does one man drive a car that costs thousands of £ / $ when another is starving to death... I guess its just fate / luck of birth etc etc...

Anyway... I am afraid to say that given the choice I would have an HT rather than feed an entire village. Its easy to turn a blind eye when we dont have to suffer how some people do...

Like NN says, I think we should count are blessings...and maybe try and not take all we have for granted... but that is also a hard thing to do.

Anyway... enough of that

Tim

Shang

Shang

Sheepish Member
It certainly is a dog eat dog world, every man for himself.

timuk

timuk

Hmmmmm...

I am sure its not just paranoia now... I am 110% convinced that I am shedding at a crazy rate... have noticed that I can now make out the old plugs... which I could not do before..

I have read up on "diet related hairloss"... seems that it could be related to any diet that causes fast weight loss..

I have lost around 12lb in the last 4 weeks... and it has been during this time that I think the shedding has occurred..

Tried to take some pics.. but they do not show what I can see by looking in a mirror....

So... have stopped the diet and am going to stuff myself with food from now on...

May as well be fat and hairy.....but this leads me to the topic I started today... about vitamins and lack of them on a strict diet... though I do take a multivitamin evey day...

Who knows... could be just coincidence or like I think NN mentioned a seasonal thing... maybe it was BigM ...

Going to copy this to my thread about vits etc... so sorry if you read this twice..

Timbo..

Last edited:
Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
When I was in the U.S. I caught a TV news programme where they were talking about the 'amazing' cancer-fighting properties of Vitamin D. I can't remember the various scientific studies they mentioned but they were by top places.

Needless to say I bored the techs at SMG with this info the following day - I think they gave me another set of pills and asked the hotel why they gave me a room with a TV.

Seriously though, I think a healthy diet has a bigger effect on us than we realise for a whole range of issues.