• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dissecting/Cutting Grafts

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Slide5.jpg

Slide4.jpg

Slide1.jpg

FUsindish.jpg

2hairfus.jpg

N

NW5a

Valued member
Hello Janna,

thx for sharing this information.

At one pic u show fine 1 hair grafts and "normal" 1 hair grafts. How do u know, if a hair is "fine" or "normal", cause the hairs are growing in differnt periods and perhaps the "fine" 1 hair graft is at the end or begin of that period.

Thx a lot

janna

janna

Valuable Member
That's a good point. We don't know with 100% certainly, but they still have a better chance of being fine caliber hairs than the other pile of grafts. For the most part, our results with natural hairlines seem pretty good indication that it's worth it to separate out the finer hairs for the very front.

Cheers.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Great post with nice clear pictures.

Interesting read about the finer hairs.

lost_youth

lost_youth

Valued member
Interesting pics Janna.

It's really tough to get an sense of scale until the 2nd last pic where the towelling gives an idea. Certainly highlights the fine art of FUT - I take my hat off to anyone who's hands are steady enough to deal with those tiny FUs.....

- I don't think my nerves would be up to it, but that could be due to years of hard drinking :p

B

Bastion

Janna,

Are the tech`s at Shapiro Medical trained for specific tasks? - e.g some who cut - some who plant.

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
how deep into the recipient slits do the grafts get planted? Is it the same depth as they would of been where they came from?

H

hairtech

Bastion,

All of us at SMG cut grafts. This is the first thing most clinics teach a technician. And yes some of our technicians just cut grafts only.

The techs that place are very experienced. It takes much time to teach the placement aspect. We have two technicians that are going through this as we speak.

Janna,

Good pics!

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve asked this question about depth before i`m sure,i would say in my non medical opinion that they will be planted at the same depth as your native hair.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
No, its normally a little deeper for native hairs. The grafts are transplanted with about a milimeter of tissue sticking above the skin surface or you have the danger of creating pitted skin around transplanted hairs. The tissue dries up and flakes off in the first two weeks after surgery.

Last edited: