• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

do GOOD ht's look better longer or shorter?

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
hey dudes just curious, you guys on here that have recieved excellent hairtransplants do you think they look better/more natural if you wear your hair longer or shorter?

or does it look great either way if the ht is great?*nl

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Thats a tough question,imo it all comes down to the individual and their hair characteristics.

For example if your hair is long you can do a combover type of style and cover/conceal any bald/thinning area to give a fuller look.

Alternatively,if you have short hair you cant do the above but when your hair is short,the hair to scalp ratio is better and it gives the appearance of not being as bald or thin.

I prefer my hair short and feel it definately looks better.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Very difficult question to answer. I guess I have to lean a little more towards long...but too long and you are demonstrating that you haven't had hair since the 70's or 80's and .....

I read a post from Dr. Feller a couple of years ago about the layering effect of hair and how it adds to the appearance of density. I guess I do understand what it is he is saying. A NW5+ in my opinion does need to keep hair long enough to give this layering effect or there is too much contrast with the scalp and things can look very thin.

Keep in mind that what I am saying is that a good HT will look natural no matter what but to achieve the best possible look of density and it does need to be a certain length.

Good post. Curious what others have to say.

NN

P

Philb

Nervousnelly wrote:
Very difficult question to answer. I guess I have to lean a little more towards long...but too long and you are demonstrating that you haven't had hair since the 70's or 80's and .....

I read a post from Dr. Feller a couple of years ago about the layering effect of hair and how it adds to the appearance of density. I guess I do understand what it is he is saying. A NW5+ in my opinion does need to keep hair long enough to give this layering effect or there is too much contrast with the scalp and things can look very thin.

Keep in mind that what I am saying is that a good HT will look natural no matter what but to achieve the best possible look of density and it does need to be a certain length.

Good post. Curious what others have to say.

NN
NN is correct,

As we know a HT is much to do with the illusion of density because we cannot place like for like, especially when the hair loss pattern is large, so we have to cheat a little. Placement angles can help with this to a degree, something called "shingling effect" laying the hairs placed to give maximum illusion of density and gaining the most coverage with minimal graft numbers, this can work well on larger hair loss patterns, but does have limitations.

Even when we suffer from hair loss it is not really until the light penetrates the hair cover and bounces off the skin do we really notice it and then it becomes an issue, all the time we cannot see our scalp we can live in peaceful denial, well relatively peaceful. The same is true with the placement of hair and a HT, the idea is to try and create the illusion of enough thickness to block the light, even if the density is not the same as your original this is possible.

Hair characteristics will play a big part in this, and some people can get away with shorter hair and it still look thick where others will need to keep a little more length. But as NN said regardless of this it should still look natural in respect of the placement of the new hair. This is an important topic, not so much for higher hair loss patterns because generally their expectations are more realistic, but in smaller levels when they want to match like for like with their native hair; and especially with some FUE candidates who intend to shave both donor and recipient and do not want any change in the thickness when cut short. All about talking to your doc and making sure he understand where you are coming from otherwise he cannot tell you the pros and cons to these issues in relation to your own hair characteristics.

Last edited:
bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
thanks guys interesting answers they make a lot of sense, any more thoughts guys?:)