• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Doctors barely present or talented technicians?

G

gus bs

Hi dear friends,
I live in Israel and I am decided to do a hair transplant in Turkey. No doubts there.
Of course I look for balance between good results and good price.
I am about to book with MCAN HEALTH.
Their results look outstanding and their videos look very trustable.
On the other side, when contacted them I asked them if the doctor will do the procedure
they aswered:
"In accordance with the medical protocol here in Turkey, all the hair transplant procedures in our clinic (and also in any clinic in Turkey) are performed by a trichologist and medical team under the supervision of a trichologist dr Sedef:
Trichologist does the extraction and opens the incisions and the medical team implant the grafts in the already opened canals. Of course, the procedure is under the supervision and full responsibility of the doctor"

The good about t is that they were really straight, and their results look great.
The bad is that here I've been advice to ask for a doctor to do the procedure.

My dilemma is:
1- Should I take into account the results in spite of who's doing it?
2-Why booking (and paying twice the cost) with a reputed doctor when I have read hundreds of times that they don't really
fully participate in the pocedure and that they let the technicians do the job?

Thank you very much.
I hope my thread is written correctly.
Best wishes, Gus.

Desmond

Desmond

There are clinics in Turkey where the doctor will perform the graft extractions and make the incisions for the techs to insert the grafts. Clinics who offer multiple procedures per day usually have multiple tech teams. Not all teams will have the same skill set. You could possibly have less qualified staff working on you. The trichologist quote I believe is not a medical protocol in Turkey. You could contact someone like Dr. Bicer who is hands on during the surgery. Why take a risk with something this important to save a little money. If it doesn`t turn out as expected, it may end up costing you more next time around.
Compare the hairlines with several other clinics to see if they are natural.
You may end up with a fabulous result if you choose them but there is this element of unknown risk.

G

gus bs

Thanks for your answer.
I totally agree with you. But at this point is not really about money.
I am asking if the doctor barely participates in the procedure it really makes any difference.
I have read many threads where doctors only drop by to take a look and let his technicians do all the job.
MCAN shows great results in Youtube. Could them be all fake?
Thanks for your reply.

Desmond

Desmond

If a clinic performs 500 transplants per year as an example they can cherry pick the best results to post on Youtube. If you think the techs do a better job than the doctor then it`s your choice to go ahead. Do the videos say what techs were responsible for the work?

G

gus bs

Hi Desmond,
You are assuming the do 500 surgeries? I really don't know.
I don't think technicians do a better job than doctors, read my thread.
I am asking what's the point of paying for a doctor if he is not fully involved in the process/
The vids don't say who made the procedures. I quote what the clinic said to me:
"In accordance with the medical protocol here in Turkey, all the hair transplant procedures in our clinic (and also in any clinic in Turkey) are performed by a trichologist and medical team under the supervision of a trichologist dr Sedef:
Trichologist does the extraction and opens the incisions and the medical team implant the grafts in the already opened canals. Of course, the procedure is under the supervision and full responsibility of the doctor"

Desmond

Desmond

I would not pay a doctor's rate if the doctor was not playing a major role in the surgery. If you`re not prepared to pay the rate they quote you, then tell them your reasoning.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Gus.
What is your hair loss situation and how many grafts are you being quoted? I just had a quick look at their Youtube channel. From what I see they are based in a hospital offering various types of cosmetic procedures. The hair transplant videos I briefly looked at were all immediate post-op, not final results but I`d guess they do have more.
How many patient posted results have you come across?

Here is a good video to watch.

G

gus bs

Hi, I agree there are not post op videos. There are 65 cases in the youtube channel.

I need around 3500/3700 grafts. 80% in the crown/middle and 20% in the hairline
I've also found MCAN listed as one of the 4 best clinics in a hair loss forum.
I am still very concerned since this is a very new clinic.

My other options are:

COSMEDICA DR.ACAR
DR. RESUL YAMAN
DR. ERKAN DEMIRSOY
DR. EKREM CIVAS
DR. TAYFUN OGUZOGLU
DR. CINIK

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
What forum are they in the top 4?
3500 grafts is a fair old size surgery, especially if you're doing a lot in the crown. Crowns eat up a lot of grafts. Are you taking any hair loss meds?
The clinics you list have some patient stories on here. One from Dr Demirsoy who recently added his story.
Have you consulted with them or just in the research process?

G

gus bs

I really don't remember where did I see that list. I read so much!
I don't take any hair loss meds, I am 51. Did a Minoxidil treatment 25 years ago.
8 years ago I did micropigmentation in the crown zone, and now I've bee using a hair piece
for the crown. That's why I decide to solve it for good with a transplant.
I contacted Dr. Demisroy, Dr.Yaman. Dr. Tayfun Oguzoglu, Fuecapilar and MCAN.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Even at 51 your hair loss can be progressive. There are a lot of older guys who are Norwood 7 and beyond.
Most of my hair transplants have been the crown so I know how important it is to stabalise it or have a transplant that would look normal if you continued to lose hair.
Do you have a picture of your crown?
Being in a top list can mean many things. Many review sites rate clinics on how many times they post. I would not pay too much attention to it.

G

gus bs

you can also see the Micro pigmentation.
I shave it to be able to wear the hair piece.

IMG_2104.jpeg

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That is a big area to cover. Do you have much hair left there? It's hard to tell with it shaven and the SMP.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That's about the same time frame as my own crown started to go. For me, Finasteride has been my savior, without it I'd have continued losing hair.
My crown was getting bigger and bigger, slowly creeping towards my hairline and dipping down the back a little but Finasteride stopped it.
It takes a lot of skill for someone to recreate a crown swirl. Lots of people have no idea, just planting for coverage which results in an unnatural look. Your donor looks very dense which is in your favour.
Obviously meds are everyone's personal choice. There are risks of sides but for me the risk of losing more hair was greater.
Did the clinics mention meds at all?

G

gus bs

I have read about Finasteride and I am not a fan of taking a medicine for life.
I could have done it years ago but never seemed to be a healthy option.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That`s fair enough about not wanting to take it. Is it solely the fact of taking it every day or the concern with possible side effects?
There is topical finasteride which is supposed to lessen the risk of any sides.
As long as you are aware that you may continue too lose hair after a hair transplant and accept that. I have seen many patients have surgery, then complain the result has not met their expectations and they call it a failure without acknowledging all the transplanted hairs are mainly there and it`s native hair that`s gone.

Desmond

Desmond

Some clinics do make it clear how involved the doctor will be, from making incisions, design and the plan of action. Verify everything in writing before proceeding.

G

gus bs

After contacting and doing more research my 2 final options for the transplant are:

1- Dr. Tayfun Oğuzoğlu (Dr, T)
2- Dr Erkan Demirsoy (Armamed)

Which one would you recommend?

G

gus bs

Last minute update-

3- COSMEDICA is the 3rd option, but the procedure is done by staff and only under supervision of DR ACAR...