• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dr. Maras at HDC Clinic - FUE 3773 Grafts - April 5th & 6th 2021

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Parasol.

The redness is quite normal for some patients, however, I see that your concern is with the bumpiness/indent appearance of your scalp. It is possible you picked up a bacterial infection that`s causing the skin to be inflamed. Do you have any pain or feverish symptoms? If so, a course of antibiotics may be required as a precautionary measure to aid the healing.

It is made to look worse with both your native and transplanted hair shedding. Your scalp has been through a traumatic experience and it could be that it`s just reacting differently and taking longer to heal. Hopefully, this is the case.

Have you been in touch with HDC to get the doctor's opinion?

Parasol

Parasol

Hi Parasol.

The redness is quite normal for some patients, however, I see that your concern is with the bumpiness/indent appearance of your scalp. It is possible you picked up a bacterial infection that`s causing the skin to be inflamed. Do you have any pain or feverish symptoms? If so, a course of antibiotics may be required as a precautionary measure to aid the healing.

It is made to look worse with both your native and transplanted hair shedding. Your scalp has been through a traumatic experience and it could be that it`s just reacting differently and taking longer to heal. Hopefully, this is the case.

Have you been in touch with HDC to get the doctor's opinion?

Thanks for the reply, Bigmac! I just sent them to Doron and to the clinic directly. Doron said that everything looks right on track, but we’re going to see what the clinic thinks just to be sure.

I actually feel pretty great, which makes it an even bigger shock when I see myself in the mirror! :) I don’t have any fever, or pain. I’m sleeping and eating well, and just began my workouts again. I feel much better than I look.

I really hope nothing is wrong. I want a great result so bad.

Parasol

Parasol

I just took my temperature just to be sure. 98.0 F. I definitely don’t have a fever so I guess that’s good.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That's good to hear no pain or fever as it rules out things such as Cellulitis. Sometimes a topical steroid cream can help with inflammation and recovery. I have seen other patients similar to your situation that healed eventually and turned out well. Getting some reassurance from the doctor though will be good. Let`s know what he suggests.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi Parasol,

The first few months after surgery tends to be the worst of all phases. Patients go through the phases differently depending on their physiology. In the first 3 months you experience shedding, shock loss, and redness in donor and recipient areas.
If that wasn't enough, you may incur folliculitis to top it off. The redness fades out but how soon it disappears depends on your physiology. You had a lot of incisions and grafts placed on the frontal half of your head, which leads to some scarring. The redness will of course subside and the indents will be difficult to notice as well once the hairs start to regrow.

3773 grafts in the frontal half should give you decent coverage. It also helps that you got a decent number of 3 hair grafts.
The fact that you're on finasteride again will help overall too. I'm rooting for you. Best of luck!

Techno1

Techno1

4 Week Update

Who’s the ugliest duckling that ever lived???

View attachment 22293View attachment 22294View attachment 22295View attachment 22296View attachment 22297View attachment 22299

^^^ This guy.

Over the last 10 days or so, I’ve shed virtually all of my transplanted hair. Though it’s pretty clear to me too that most of my previously transplanted and natural hair has been shocked out as well. Wow, I knew enough to expect these things but man, this is gonna be quite the journey!

As you can see, the scab has fallen off, but what concerns me is not only the indent in my scalp the scab left behind (which is pretty big!) but all the other pits and craters and indents. My whole scalp looks so much like scar tissue to me, it’s actually very difficult to take a clear picture because my scalp is now very shiny.

I’m a bit concerned about the condition of my skin. Do you guys see what I’m talking about? For instance, along my left temple, you can see a bunch of indent lines where some other smaller crusts had formed in the days just after my surgery. I’m a bit worried even if hair does eventually want to grow, it won’t be able to because in my entire transplant area, all the skin just looks and feels off.

Do I have anything to be worried about with the way I’m healing?

I guess on the upside, my current state has motivated me to begin using Rogaine foam again. I had up until today to decide and the choice wasn’t a hard one.

EDIT: I just want to clarify that I may have used the term “pitting” incorrectly. I didn’t realize this was a very technical term in regards to transplants, and looking at images of it, I don’t think this is what’s happening to me.

My concern is the bumpiness and indents and the overall skin texture of my transplanted area.

On the first impression, one would think cobblestoning but that usually shows up several months after a procedure. I`d rule this out as the cause of the indents and unevenness. I`d say it`s due to post-surgical healing and the trauma your scalp has endured. Time and some soothing Aloe Vera will help the skin heal and return to its pre-surgical condition.

For reassurance, keep a watchful eye to rule out any inflammatory processes such as seborrheic dermatitis or infections which can be treated with a topical steroid or antibiotics.

Parasol

Parasol

I appreciate the support, everyone! Although this is my third transplant, this is the first time I’ve had any issues with post-op recovery, so I want you all to know it means a lot.

I just heard back from HDC. They said what I’m going through is nothing to worry about, and that this is just my body’s natural way of healing after having such a big procedure. They want me to continue to rest and take it easy, and try my best not to stress.

They said they expect the bumpiness and redness to clear on its own over time, and at the moment, they don’t want me to treat the recipient area at all (so no aloe vera, which I specifically asked about, or healing creams or anything like that).

Techno1

Techno1

Having 2 prior surgeries in the same zones could be the reason your scalp isn't healing as quickly than the previous. The clinic sound confident there's nothing to worry about and letting it heal naturally could be for the best.

Parasol

Parasol

Having 2 prior surgeries in the same zones could be the reason your scalp isn't healing as quickly than the previous. The clinic sound confident there's nothing to worry about and letting it heal naturally could be for the best.
I hope so. It’s hard to find examples where other people have healed like I have up to now, but it’s also probably unusual for someone to have nearly 7,000 grafts placed in their frontal half over their lifetime too.

As difficult as it is I guess I just have to wait and see, and trust in HDC and the process.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That's good to hear the clinic are confident nothing is needed to aid with the healing. The previous surgeries could be the reason this one is inflamed. Hopefully, it sorts itself out soon.

Techno1

Techno1

I hope so. It’s hard to find examples where other people have healed like I have up to now, but it’s also probably unusual for someone to have nearly 7,000 grafts placed in their frontal half over their lifetime too.

As difficult as it is I guess I just have to wait and see, and trust in HDC and the process.

It's a tight situation you find yourself in. You're concerned because the 2 previous transplants did not result in this much post transplant trauma and the clinic tell you to wait it out. I would ask to see some examples from their patient base who were in the same situation as yourself.

Parasol

Parasol

8 Week Update
17D289B2-12D1-4930-8033-5E58C3CE378A.jpeg
ECF7F55B-76C0-4B75-96E8-E8F455382A43.jpeg
779FCF99-69DF-4512-B11D-AB35F04FF5C5.jpeg
8CA6EB88-1759-440B-AADF-D2B3DFC42DF9.jpeg
4D5ADF49-07EB-433A-9557-2ECFECBF7715.jpeg
85DE91D2-EE7A-4EB8-9886-84DD7B255640.jpeg

I have to say, emotionally this has been a very tough time. I guess I worry whether or not, even in extreme cases, if I’m healing ok and look normal for this stage or if I will ever look normal again.

I am doing my best to stay distracted though. I’m happy to have gotten this done and just need to stay strong. I have a very good support group, thank goodness, and am getting used to wearing a baseball cap in social situations.

On the plus side, when I zoom in on the photos (on my phone where they’re not as compressed), I can see a bunch of shorter hairs breaking through the surface. I doubt it could be new growth at this stage, but possibly some of my shocked native hairs coming back? There are also lots of blonde hairs that the camera can’t capture, and a few pimples too (which I think is a good sign?), so hopefully this moment in time will be a distant memory in a few more months.

I’m still applying 5% minoxidil foam twice daily and have been for the last month, and am also still taking 1mg of Finasteride daily.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Parasol.
It looks as though the area is still inflamed and some folliculitis occurring. I know the clinic originally advised you to leave it alone to heal but I do think you would benefit from 100% aloe vera gel/spray and possibly vitamin E oil. I would ask the clinic if they are ok with you trying these. I`ve seen them help a lot of people and no harm was done to the grafts or end result.
I think the inflammation is what`s causing what looks like pitting, your scalp has been through trauma and is slowly recovering. I believe it will recover. If you are left with a few indents, they should not be noticeable at all once the hair grows and the scalp is back to normal.
Personally, I`d stop the foam use until the inflammation has subsided.

Parasol

Parasol

Hi Parasol.
It looks as though the area is still inflamed and some folliculitis occurring. I know the clinic originally advised you to leave it alone to heal but I do think you would benefit from 100% aloe vera gel/spray and possibly vitamin E oil. I would ask the clinic if they are ok with you trying these. I`ve seen them help a lot of people and no harm was done to the grafts or end result.
I think the inflammation is what`s causing what looks like pitting, your scalp has been through trauma and is slowly recovering. I believe it will recover. If you are left with a few indents, they should not be noticeable at all once the hair grows and the scalp is back to normal.
Personally, I`d stop the foam use until the inflammation has subsided.
Thanks @Bigmac

I’ve forwarded my photos to HDC to get Dr. Maras’ opinion just to be safe.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
When I had my first FUE, the recipient was ok but the donor was inflamed a month afterward. It was very sore, red, itchy and hurt. Medicated shampoo sorted it out but I can`t remember which shampoo it was with it being so long ago.

What are your thoughts on stopping the foam just in case it is irritating your scalp?

Parasol

Parasol

When I had my first FUE, the recipient was ok but the donor was inflamed a month afterward. It was very sore, red, itchy and hurt. Medicated shampoo sorted it out but I can`t remember which shampoo it was with it being so long ago.

What are your thoughts on stopping the foam just in case it is irritating your scalp?
I guess I’m hesitant to stop the foam. Although I realize it’s hard to make out in the photos, I do see a decent amount of new growth and I’m afraid stopping it will just prolong this ugly duckling nightmare. This has been a very tough time.

On the other hand, I do see your point though and you might be right. I guess I’m not sure what to do. I want my scalp to heal the best and most efficient way possible. I wish Dr. Maras was closer so he could inspect my head in person.

Surprisingly, I’m actually not feeling any pain anymore (except for where the scab was. When I pat my hair dry I can feel it a tiny bit there). And in the mirror it doesn’t seem inflamed to me but I don’t that doubt it might be. Though yeah wow, visually it looks shocking and terrible so hopefully I can figure out what (if anything) is going on and what the best course of action is from here.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I understand why you're hesitant to stop using it, especially if it's helping with growth. One possibility is to use it once per day at night and use aloe during the day. See what the clinic come back with first.
It's good the pain has all but gone, we just need the skin to recover ASAP.
You could ask Dr Maras if he personally knows any doctors in your area who could see you as a favour to him.

Techno1

Techno1

The combination of surgery and knocking your head seem to have caused the extra trauma to your scalp. These latest images do show its slowly improving. I’m thinking another 4 weeks will be sufficient for it to return back to normal.

Parasol

Parasol

Quick 10 Week Update
7B3BBC70-64C8-4A7A-9118-049A35D9F23D.jpeg

Although my head still looks beaten up and battered, I can see quite a bit of improvement between this update, and the last one I posted two weeks ago.

My left temple especially seems to be sprouting quite a few new hairs. And my midscalp appears to be thickening up too.

This morning I did wake up to some blood on my pillow. It seems I must have scratched an in-grown hair (or pimple) in my sleep. The clinic doesn’t want me to scratch these so I’ll have to keep an eye out going forward.

Otherwise, I’m hopeful my hairline and the bald scab area will start sprouting hairs at some point. If they do I think a great weight will be lifted.

Time will tell.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Parasol.
At 10 weeks there is definitely more hair there now with your left temple leading the way. I’m confident the area where you knocked your head will be fine with the growth not impeded at all. You’re not 3 months months yet, so any growth is a good indicator.
Your scalp looks darker, more of a purple colour in this latest picture. Is this just the lighting?
Not scratching while sleeping is pretty hard, especially because you don’t know you're doing it. I highly doubt it will cause any harm other than some possible discomfort if it makes your scalp sore.
Fingers crossed you get some nice early growth to help you relax about it.