• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Dr. Umar--3000 grafts, BHT (Beard) 12 month update

K

keepitshorter

Valued member
These photos were taken at 12 month mark from my last procedure with Dr. Umar in which he placed 3000 Beard Hair grafts in my crown area and the top center part of my head.

I was not experienced with BHT but rather only scalp hair transplants. I will have to admit I got a little concerned at the 6th month mark because I didn't think my results were coming along as I had hoped at that point.

Dr. Umar told me that I could not access the full results of the procedure at the 6 month mark, and that it would take up to a year before we could determine the success of the procedure--especially because we were dealing with non-head hair.

Being fairly experienced with hair tranplantation I knew that it took a lot of patience. I now know that it takes even much more patience when dealing with non-head hair. I have also learned that you cannot always look at other people's photos and try to gauge what your results should be at a certain time frame.

The photos were taken in extremely bright light.

Also remember that this procedure was a Beard Hair Graft procedure which are singles as opposed to scalp hairs grafts. This cannot be compared to a 3000 head hair procedure.

I am very satisfied with my results especially considering that, in my opinion, my beard hair is not the caliber of many men's in regards to thickness.

386_221138_150000000.jpg

386_221137_210000004.jpg

386_221137_210000003.jpg

7-8 Months

386_221137_210000002.jpg

7-8 Months

386_221137_210000001.jpg

12 Months

386_221137_210000000.jpg

12 Months

386_221144_520000001.jpg

Donor Healing

386_221144_510000000.jpg

Donor Healing

Here you can see some 12 month videos that I took under very bright lights and combing my hair vigorously in all directions.

http://s865.photobucket.com/albums/ab212/y5555/

I plan to have another procedure with Dr. Umar sometime this year.

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Looking good KIS,how much beard donor is left now and was most of it taken from under the jawline.The donor pictures are very clear and close up,what does the small white dots look like in reality as looking at the pictures i would say they will be barely visible.

Guess you will have an easy time shaving now which is good imo.

K

keepitshorter

Valued member
Hi Bigmac thanks. The beard grafts were taken starting right under my chinline, and the white dots are not visible in daily settings. In those pictures I had the camera about 5 inches from my neck, and it was a high megapixel so I suppose it will show great detail in that manner.

Everyone inquires about some "white dots" it seems. To me, even if a white small area was slightly noticable on my neck area, (although it's not) if that was all the donor I had left, I would sacrafice that for more hair up top.

I suppose I could get another couple thousand grafts from my beard area, but next procedure I am going to use all scalp hair. I'm glad Dr. Umar convinced me to use beard grafts last time because it allowed me to save my remaining scalp grafts for my next procedure to enhance the middle part of my hairline and just behind.

Last edited:
B

Beavis

Why did you opt for beard hair grafts when you look to have very good scalp donor?

K

keepitshorter

Valued member
I actually have quite a bit of scarring from old stow punch grafts all over the back and sides of my head which I believe has taken away many grafts that could have otherwise been obtained using FUE.

Dr. Umar has told me that I still have a good number of scalp grafts left that he can obtain thru his FUE techniques. The middle portion of my hairline has worsened in the last couple of years and I also need some more density directly behind the middle part of my hairline. Thus, we opted to save the remaining scalp grafts for those areas in my next procedure. To me it was much more important to have scalp grafts in the front that in my top head and crown area.

W

wylie

Valued member
I wish you had a better "before" picture. The one you posted is grainy.and does not show a very good picture of loss. But the grafts from what I can tell, you are experiencing some pretty good coverage. The best use of beard hair is how you are using it.

K

keepitshorter

Valued member
I will see If I have some more, but I don't see how anyone could question that the one I posted there is obvious hair loss.

I will look for more to see if I have any.

J

JJ09

Hi KIS, thanks for posting ;) That's a lot of grafts...did you do a test session first and is the donor area still smooth?

K

keepitshorter

Valued member
Hi. No I didn't do a test session, and yes the donor area is as smooth as before. A lot of people keep asking about "white dots" which some have said they can see with the photos taken with a high megapixal camera, but nothing is noticeable in person.

W

wylie

Valued member
keepitshorter wrote:
I will see If I have some more, but I don't see how anyone could question that the one I posted there is obvious hair loss.

I will look for more to see if I have any.

Who's "questioning" anything? I said the picture is grainy and not very good and it isnt. If thats the best pic. you got then its hard to determine the size of your bald spot. Or former bald spot.

K

keepitshorter

Valued member
You are correct it is hard to determine the extent of the size of the area of baldness because the size was actually larger than depicted in the photo plus there was diffuse thinning about the top of my head which is not very evident either.

Pehaps the next time I am able to visit Dr. Umar he has some pre-op photos I can obtain. I am working on a time I can visit him again for follow up after photos and I'm sure he will introduce my case after that time.