• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair Growth Results from Rogaine Foam and Finasteride

T

tahirsplace

janna wrote:
Testing the meds for the first two months is basically checking for side effects.   Most patients do not see any signs of growth at this stage.    If no sides, then give  it 6+months  to see if  it's holding onto your  native hairs and possibly regrow and thicken miniaturized hairs.   I heard patients say with Rogaine use, they may see some shedding at the beginning but they end up seeing those hairs come back.  

Good luck.    

Is it true that Regaine should only be used on the crown area of the head? I know it shouldnt be used on the front hairline but what about the top middle area?

janna

janna

Valuable Member
It should be used for whole top of head - hairline, middle, crown.

T

tahirsplace

That's strange, how come the instructions on the packaging says otherwise? So should I still only use the recommended amount of half a capful twice a day but apply it everywhere (top, middle and crown) rather than just the crown?

It says "Regaine may be appropriate if you are experiencing gradually thinning hair or graduate hair loss on the top of the scalp (vertex only). It is not intended for frontal baldness or a receding hairline."

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Its most effective in the crown area but others have reported growth in the hairline/frontal third so its worth a try as you may get re growth.

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
Ops... have been away a long time ;;D

Not sure if that guy is still around who asked the question about updates from Rogaine...

All I can say is that over the past 18 months I have stopped using it twice, ran out and just did not order anymore... and each time there has been a noticeable thinning of my hair... then back on it..... and after about 2 to 3 months my hair is thicker...

My advice would be to stick with it...(unless of course you have a bad reaction etc etc)... learned my lesson the hard way.....again !! Ran out a couple of months ago and looking thin again... ordered some a couple of weeks ago and have started using it... time will tell..

Of course, this could be a big coincidence and it could be shedding cycles.... am not 100% sure....

But, I am now definitely going to stick with it... have ordered a years supply....I have only ever applied it once a day (in the evening)...so its really 6 months that should last a year...

I am on proscar..... not sure what that does do for my hair....am assuming that does work as even discounting my HT, cannot believe that was over 3 and a half years ago, its still thicker than when I started.....

So, my advice would be... if the meds don't cause any issues..... get on them as quick as you can...AND...stay on them

Tim

T

tahirsplace

Hi Mate. Can I ask how you go about getting Proscar and the costs involved? Are you from the UK like me? Thanks =)

timuk wrote:
Ops... have been away a long time ;;D

Not sure if that guy is still around who asked the question about updates from Rogaine...

All I can say is that over the past 18 months I have stopped using it twice, ran out and just did not order anymore... and each time there has been a noticeable thinning of my hair... then back on it..... and after about 2 to 3 months my hair is thicker...

My advice would be to stick with it...(unless of course you have a bad reaction etc etc)...  learned my lesson the hard way.....again !! Ran out a couple of months ago and looking thin again... ordered some a couple of weeks ago and have started using it... time will tell..

Of course, this could be a big coincidence and it could be shedding cycles.... am not 100% sure....

But, I am now definitely going to stick with it... have ordered a years supply....I have only ever applied it once a day (in the evening)...so its really 6 months that should last a year...

I am on proscar..... not sure what that does do for my hair....am assuming that does work as even discounting my HT, cannot believe that was over 3 and a half years ago, its still thicker than when I started.....

So, my advice would be... if the meds don't cause any issues..... get on them as quick as you can...AND...stay on them

Tim

timuk

timuk

Hi user... sounds like a name for an ex g/f of mine, but will not go into that subject on here>C>::

Anyway mate....yes I am from the UK.....

I have always got my proscar from Dr Ashcroft, am sure his contact details are on here somewhere....

As for costs....I really can't remember.....it's been over a year now....last time I bought a 18month supply and think I paid £160.... I know it sounds crazy but I really can't remember.....there could be details on here somewhere....will have a look and see if I can find them, guess I should have done that before I started this post....

I guess there a alternatives and that maybe it could be cheaper elsewhere....I think if you have a sympathetic GP you may be able to get via an NHS prescription ..... others on here maybe able to answer that.

I stick with Dr Ashcroft mainly as I find it easy and don't want the embarrassment of a grilling by my Doctor though I have advised her I am taking it, sent her a copy of the note Dr Ashcroft sent me....I think it's always a good idea to let them know incase you end up on some medication that the proscar could effect....some meds dont go well together....don't ask me which ones...I am just talking about meds in general.......I think it's just best to let a GP know...the other reason is that buying meds over the Internet is a little risky, make sure you go to a reputable company....not just someone offering it very cheap....you could end up with something that does more than keep your hair in place....

Of the 3 lots he has sent they have always been the real thing, though he did offer me a slightly cheaper generic one last time I spoke with him..

Hope this helps

Tim

T

tahirsplace

Thanks mate for the reply. Is it worth going for the generic one since its cheaper, is there any real difference in terms of quality of outcome?

timuk

timuk

Hi

I would not think that there is the slightest difference in getting the generic versions with regard to results......be it propecia or Rogaine......

I use the branded names as the savings, especially for the propecia were quite small when I bought 18 months worth......as for Rogaine, I used the branded version and buy a 6 month supply from whomever has the best deal...have a google as it seems to change....but always do buy from the Uk .... 6 months will last me a year as I only use it once a day, just before bed time....I read somewhere that this is ok and that using it twice a day does not make any difference.......this method has worked for me and halves the cost....

Hope the above helps

Tim

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi

I am not sure what to do concerning use of medication Propecia , when I had my HT in Feb it was advised that due to my age that the Hair Loss will have probably run its course, and I considering a 2nd procedure for the crown then why bother , any advise on this thank you

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi D,

I had to refresh my memory on your current hair loss stage in your write up. From your pics, I see that you are not a NW6 or NW7, so you still have a lot of native hairs that I imagine you'd want to keep. The Fin & Rogaine combo is known to regrow the lost hairs dating back up to 7 years. By trying out the combo, it may halt or slow down the hairloss progression as well as regrow some of the lost hairs. I think it's worth trying. Just my 2 cents.

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi Janna

thank you for your reply , well am using that Minoxidil 2%
liquid 2 times a day at present but i do do have the 5% with me but Clinic advised that i use 2% for the first 6 months , I dont have any tablets with me and I am not due of the ship for another 5 weeks am in Germany :-(

I never knew that their was a possiblity of the hairs that were lost over 7 years can come back using the method as suggested I will give it ago when i get off here

Cheers

H

hdude46

Valued member
janna wrote:
Hi D,

I had to refresh my memory on your current hair loss stage in your write up. From your pics, I see that you are not a NW6 or NW7, so you still have a lot of native hairs that I imagine you'd want to keep. The Fin & Rogaine combo is known to regrow the lost hairs dating back up to 7 years. By trying out the combo, it may halt or slow down the hairloss progression as well as regrow some of the lost hairs. I think it's worth trying. Just my 2 cents.

Janna,

Have you had patients that were using just one, and maybe it wasn't working quite as well as they hoped but when they added the other they saw improvement?

D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi Just to confirm Janna kindly suggested to me to get on this Combo of meds in April -12 Finisteride and the Foam I was on the ship so i had to get home and get the Fin which i started 14th June -12 , I was on the Meds Fin 4 months with the Foam 7 months and believe me it reduced the size of the crown were it was very thin and certainly stabilised the Hair Loss , it was estimated i would need 1500-1800 Grafts for the crown however after using the combo , the Dr at HDC was wanting to put in 800 grafts only as i was responding to the meds nicely , it was my choice to ask for more grafts in case i come of the meds and also i had saved the money money as well , I will put a couple of pictures up and hope it helps

thanks

Dazzster Sept -11

Attachments

• September 2011.JPG
    September 2011.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 4,106
Last edited:
D

Dazzster26

Valued member
The next Picture was done on the 8th 0ctober-12 before my procedure and you can see that the meds have certainly worked and as stated i was on the Fin 4 months but had been using the minoxidil for 7 months , would it got better if i waited am sure it would but am not a young guy and i was lucky to have had the cash and thats the truth

Thanks Dazzster

08-10-12

Before Operation

Attachments

• Crown 08-10-12 Pre Op.JPG
    Crown 08-10-12 Pre Op.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 5,172
D

Dazzster26

Valued member
Hi Just for the record after the advise from Janna which was in April-12 ,I got off the ship on the 6th of June -12 , I started the Combo a week later please see attached picture taken 23-06-12 , i have to say i was on the Monoxidil for months and i seen no visible change to the crown only that the hair loss seemed to stabilised , with the 2 togther the pictures say it all

Thanks

Dazzster

Picture Taken 23-06-12 been on the Fin about 2 weeks

Attachments

• Crown 23-06-12.JPG
    Crown 23-06-12.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 4,213
Last edited:
janna

janna

Valuable Member
Quote from Hdude:
Janna,

Have you had patients that were using just one, and maybe it wasn't working quite as well as they hoped but when they added the other they saw improvement?

Hdude,

Yes, many patients have noticed positive effects when they added both propecia or Minox to their regimen.