• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair looking really thin after using hair dye.

W

welyaway

valued member
So I used a chemical free hair dye to color my gray hairs. After one week my hair is looking very thin and when I shower the tray is full of hair. Could I be suffering from some sort of reaction to the dye ? If I am what can I do about it ? Its the first time I have dyed my hair, any advice appreciated.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi and welcome to the forum.
You could be experiencing a heavy hair shed, try and wait it out for a month to see how your hair looks then. Are you taking any hairloss meds as these can cause your hair to shed.Which type of dye did you use, I don't think that will be the cause if it's non chemical but I'm no Dermatoligist so I could be wrong.
Hang in there and see if your hair improves before your next move.
Take care.
BM.

W

welyaway

valued member
Thanks for the reply. I'll wait it out to see if my hair improves, one thing I thought of was maybe my hair is thinner than I thought and the dye has exposed the ratio of hair color to scalp. Is this a possibility?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
That is a possibility as dark hair and a light scalp will make your hair look thinner.

W

welyaway

valued member
Hello Bigmac. I discontinued the use of hair colors, my hair has returned to its original density and texture after 5 months which leads me to believe I suffered some sort of reaction. Friends say I suit the salt and pepper look, so I won't risk hair colors and let aging take its natural course.