• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair loss affecting my confidence

M

MikeL93

I am 27 and started losing my hair when I was around 18, at first it was just a receding hairline but over the past few years it has started thinning all over especially my crown area. It really affects my confidence and it really gets to me when people comment about my hairline. My confidence has gotten so low that I actually looked at getting a hair transplant but the clinic I went to advised that in the long run that will be of little benefit to me as I would still be thinning. So instead I have started a 12 month course of laser therapy and taking finasteride and minoxidil. It is still early days yet (I've only been doing it for about 6 weeks) and I'm yet to see any results which was to be expected. However, as I have only told my family and best mate what I am doing it still gets to me when people make comments about my hairline, especially people who comment on my Facebook and Instagram pictures.

Is there anything I can do in the meantime to help with my confidence whilst I am waiting for the results of my treatment?

C

CrankySysadmin

Valued member
Get another clinics opinion. Ideally a reputable one with real users experiences to back it up.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Mike.
I`m sorry to hear that people’s comments about your hair are having a negative impact. There are a couple of ways to handle this.
Tell them how their comments affect you and ask them to stop.
Comment back to them as though it doesn’t bother you. If they see their comments are meaningless they may stop.
You usually find people who mock overs have their own insecurities. Whilst it is upsetting for you, stay strong knowing that you’re doing something about it.
Your hair loss regimen that you’ve started will hopefully prove very positive in a few more months. Stick with it if you’re not having any issues. Without seeing your hairline it’s hard to offer an accurate opinion on it. (I sent you a pm) Options could be buzzing your hair short or using a concealer to thicken up the thinner areas.

This topic may help you. Many of us have gone through similar experiences. Hair loss depression

elizabethbrown

elizabethbrown

Naturally, when one's hair starts to fall out, the 'count' of one's self-confidence decreases along with one's hair. Hair loss can be caused by stress, pollution, weight loss, unbalanced diet, various addictions, and strange hairstyles. So seek the help of a reliable clinic as it may be possible to diagnose and prescribe treatment based on the detailed history of each person, hair examination and some pathology tests.

J

Jd_

Hey Mike,

sorry to hear about your hair loss damaging your confidence so badly, I’ve been there and experienced some what of the same feeling.

I spoke to a few places and one advised me on what you’re currently doing, I opted against it and went straight for the transplant as during lockdown it was the perfect healing time for the procedure.

You can find some more of my story Here with before and after pictures, even only 6 months my confidence has sky rocketed.

I would advise you to speak to some other clinics and get further consultations, there’s no harm in having a conversation.

If you’d like any further advice or have questions shoot me a PM on my IG, it’s in my thread above and I’ll be happy to answer.

M

mania

You are absolutely right hair loss can affect your's confidence and social life ..