• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hair Loss / Transplant Advice

K

KikiMeyer

Hello! Have been lurking for a while looking other peoples journeys, advice etc which has been incredibly insightful and helpful.

I just wanted to get some advice from people far more experienced in this area than I am. I have been receding for a number of years but my hair has been kept fairly on long on top and shaven on the back/sides which really covered it. However, over the last number of years I've noticed a difference in growth between the front, middle and crown. This year I decided to shave it entirely to see how I would look bald (not so good) and then assess how it grew back.

As expected I have really receded on the sides but can clearly see that the hair isn't fully growing in the middle of the head which is creating a small island. There is still hair growing here but it is much slower than any other area. The hair on the sides and back is fairly thick and bushy and parts on top are the same. However, my hairline has receded and there is no growth there anymore.

I am 32 years old with some baldness in my family tree. My dad is 69 and has thick, full hair, as does one of my grandparents who is 94. However, the other grandparent did go bald at a young age I believe. I haven't taken any medication or topical treatment to help combat my hair loss.

The photos I have attached are a couple weeks are part and were taken around two months after shaving my hair entirely. I am blonde so my hair is naturally very light but as it grows it gets darker (The first four were took together and the second four together about 10 days apart).

I have had numerous consultations with different clinics in Europe who have given great advice, pricing, number of grafts etc but was just looking some impartial advice to see if it aligned with my thoughts but also the information I have received back. I am completely open to honest feedback as want to get this right first time. The number of grafts required as varied per consultation which is the bit that has concerned me the most so far.

Thanks for reading and if I missed any vital information or need more pictures, just let me know and I will respond back.

Any feedback or advice would be so greatly appreciated.

20200531_173744.jpg
20200531_173756.jpg
20200531_173802.jpg
20200531_173838.jpg
20200609_175138.jpg
20200609_175153.jpg
20200609_175200.jpg
20200609_175211.jpg

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Thanks for posting.

You are still young at 32, I didn't read that you are on any medication for hair loss. You have diffused thinning, have kept a tuft at the front that is also miniaturising and the crown etc will open up. So, the loss progression is evident and from the photos a concern would be how good your donor is as above and around the ears you can see it has thinned. So, essentially you should be seen in person and have a thorough consultation to see what your limitations are and then if your goals could be met.

I would not have surgery if I were you without having a thorough examination from a competent doctor who will give you real empirical data on your donor and not just a word summary to say it is good or not so good etc, that is too subjective, but real facts on density, miniaturisation and so on and then plan from there.

All the best in research and am sure this forum will help.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi KikiMeyer. Your hair loss pattern looks as though you could progress to a Norwood 5 or above. If you want a hair transplant it is advisable to prevent any further hair loss. Finasteride and Minoxidil are the best options for this, they do have the possibility to cause side effects so you need to read up and understand these. There are various natural remedies which many say have worked but there is no scientific studies to prove this.

If you proceed with a HT and no meds you run the risk of losing more native hair, therefor needing another HT if you want to maintain the look. Looking at your hair I`d say you need roughly 2500 grafts to create a new hairline with decent density behind.

Have a read of this thread. It shows what can happen when you have a hair transplant but continue to lose hair.

Hair Loss Progression after a Hair Transplant.

Reactions: sl
K

KikiMeyer

Thank you @sl and @Bigmac for the advice. I hadn't organised to see anyone due to lock down restrictions but these are due to be lifted in the coming weeks and there are quite a few reputable clinics in my country so I agree it makes sense visiting these in person to get a clearer indication how suitable I would be for a hair transplant. I hadn't noticed the thinning around my ears so assumed that because the back is fairly long and thick, I would be an ideal candidate.

In terms of medication, I completely agree. If I chose to have a transplant then I would definitely take Finasteride or Minoxidil. I understand this becomes a life long commitment and has potential side effects so I would only do this to support the success of the transplant. If I am told I am not suitable or the outcome would be poor, then wouldn't make sense taking them if I choose to shave it off.

Thank you again for the quick response and advice.

Reactions: sl
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Buzzing your hair down, you may like and suit the look.
There are other treatments available such as PRP or natural herbal supplements like Saw Palmetto that some people claim have worked.
Take your time, find out all the facts and hopefully, you can have some in person consultations. I know a lot of clinics are still only offering online virtual ones right now.

Fortes Clinic

Fortes Clinic

Hair transplant surgery is the best option to recover hair loss problem.so there are many hair transplant clinics they provide you to best treatment.

P

Philwhitehouseuk

Hello mate
I would deffo go on meds for 1 yr
Could thicken up ur hair make so make ur hairline look straighter and then get a short back and sides and a good hair cut in top
DEFFO dont go for transplants yet or at all cos u might be happy with what the meds do

P

Philwhitehouseuk

Trust me my hairloss was same as urs
I rushed into it with transplants and no meds and after 15 yrs I'm still chasing for what I wanted

Y

yogeshmander

After see the pic i think you should consult the good dermatologist and go for hair transplant. Cost depends on your location, doctor experience, and which procedure applied.