• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Hairline/Frontal 1/3 on 30 YR OLD-Dr. Paul Shapiro

• Thread starter Paul Shapiro MD
  • Start date
Paul Shapiro MD

Paul Shapiro MD

Valued member
This 30 year old patient had a great donor and good laxity and coarse dark hair. He was a good candidate for dense packing the frontal 1/3.
Because his hair is so coarse I instructed the technicians to cut down his four hair FU grafts into two hair follicular units, and to keep the three hair FU €™s to a minimal. With his type of hair, a four hair FU could look pluggy in the front 1/3. If the patient had fine, blond hair, that would be a different story. I have seen many patients with thin blond hair in which their 4 hair FU is about the same density as this patient €™s 2 hair FU €™s. In those patients I would want as many three and four hair FU €™s as possible. I do believe that in most patients when we are planting in the central core area that 3 and 4 hair follicular units are very useful in giving the appearance of density, especially if the patient has fine hair.

This is just an example of how every patient needs to be approached as an individual, and the discussion about whether a doctor €œcuts down grafts € is not so straight forward. When posting I think it is helpful to give as much information as possible such as the patients age, graft and hair count, special instructions given to technicians, and any other special considerations.

I took the strip out in two sections:
Strip #1: 1.6 cm wide x 7 cm long
Strip #2: 1.4 cm wide x 6 cm long

His graft count is as follows:
1 Hair FU: 1018 Hairs: 1018
2 Hair FU: 1448 Hairs: 2896
3 Hair FU: 331 Hairs: 993
4 Hiar FU: 1 Hairs: 4
Total FU: 2798 Total Hairs: 4911

Slide4.jpg

Slide5.jpg

Slide6.jpg

Slide7.jpg

Slide9.jpg

Slide8.jpg

janna

janna

Valuable Member
When I was planting, this patient mentioned several times what a large forehead he had. He said his friends had been teasing about it for awhile and didn't appreciate it - well, who would??? He wanted assurance that the "Plan of attack" was carried out. By plan, he was referring to the drawing made by Dr. Paul before surgery. I've put together a side by side of the "plan" and the actual of immediate post op with grafts in place. In the immed. post op pic, his forehead is somewhat swollen due to the medications. I believe his goal and expections will be met. The hairline was very densely packed in. With his caliber hairs and newly transplanted hairs, he'll surely have a great outcome.

Slide1.jpg

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Super looking work. Would love to see the final result. Interesting that Dr. Paul took hair characteristics into account to limit 3 hair FU and not plant 4 hair FU's.

NN

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Very nice looking work,it should produce a dense natural looking hairline.

Thanks Dr Paul for all the surgery data and your explanation why his larger grafts were split into smaller groupings.

Janna,thanks for the additional pictures as his newly transplanted hairline matches near perfect to Dr Pauls drawing.

Thanks bm.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Bigmac wrote:
Janna,thanks for the additional pictures as his newly transplanted hairline matches near perfect to Dr Pauls drawing.

Thanks bm.

I had to comment on this because in the past I have seen photos of the Dr.'s plan with drawings and what not and then the actual HT itself didn't come close to matching the original plan and I always wondered WTF? This is nice to see that the patient got exactly what he was planning on. (assuming all is possible/ethical. etc)

NN

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Looks like clean work and this should make a significant cosmetic difference for this patient. Look forward to the updates.

A

AJKV

Valued member
The same for this case...are there updates available???

janna

janna

Valuable Member
Hi,

I will send an email to this patient asking for updates.