• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

How long do transplanted hairs last???????

Westcoaster

Westcoaster

I`ve been researching hairloss for some years now.. one thing thats prevented me going ahead with surgery is the worry of more hairloss in the future. I`ve seen a number of posts where the transplanted hair has not lasted the test of time.

This has me thinking.. Is hair thats transplanted in the recipient area susceptible to DHT? My reasoning is that the recipient area will have active DHT.. does this DHT attack the new follicle and possibly over a period of time miniaturize or even destroy the follicle. I`ve also seen many guys where the apparent safe zone has shrunk to a very thin strip.. if hair from one of these guys was transplanted it will surely vanish over the length of time it would have taken if it were still in the donor region.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Some interesting points you raise,i too have seen case`s where the transplanted hair does not grow so well and in a small percentage they lose the transplanted hair after a number of years.

This is not the norm though in my opinion.

All surgery has risks to some degree and this possible factor needs to be taken into consideration when you are researching and deciding on a HT.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
There is a specific case when the donor can thin, DUPA for example, not a great deal is known as to the causes, but it can certainly occur, even though it is uncommon.

"DUPA" (diffuse unpatterned alopecia) can take time to reveal the full extent of the thinning, it will not necessarily appear in a month.

DUPA, by name can effect all areas of the scalp, namely the traditional recipient area and donor area, the hair around the sides and back of the head and as such may not be permanent in everyone throughout their lifetime.

When this is evaluated by mapping out the scalp for miniaturisation, one sees many thin hairs in this €˜donor rim €™ that should not be there. We have discussed this on other threads regarding miniaturisation in the donor and the need to be aware and careful when planning a HT not to leave the donor potentially thin in the future. This diffuse alopecia may extend throughout the head, even in men who have no balding. The use of Propecia has benefits to about half of these men, so we generally suggest Propecia to those who show signs of DUPA, also more natural complements such as MSM and zinc compounds.

Diffuse Alopecia is a condition characterised by hair loss over the entire scalp including the sides and back of the head. An example of Diffuse Alopecia is Telogen Effluvium. Many things can cause this, but Diffuse Alopecia is not genetic.

Possible causes are but not limited to, thyroid disorders or hormonal changes, infections or seriously high fevers, traumatic stress, physical and or emotional, some blood deficiencies such as anemia, lack of iron, possibly also anticoagulants, blood thinning drugs or viruses. In some cases of diffuse alopecia, no treatment is needed for the hair loss condition itself and in many cases the hair regrows. Some people however may continue to experience diffuse alopecia and the scalp hair remains thin.

Treating this type of hair loss depends on the actual hair loss cause, so extensive tests maybe best, scalp biopsy for example can sometimes determine if not a cause but an understanding of the problem, medication or supplements may be then be able to help and address the problem.

Westcoaster

Westcoaster

Thanks for the synopsis guys.. all will help in my quest for hair restoration.

Last edited:
C

Claude

Other factors to take into consideration, where is the donor hair taken from! If it`s from outside the allocotated safe zone you are likely to lose them if your Norwood level progresse`s further. Even hair from the safe zone can be effected if you experience aggressive hairloss, your hair can recede from the neck up and the crown - sides can dip extremely low.

D

drmwamba

Valued member
In addition to all that have been said ,major illness could also affect your hairs or grafts .

Hairs are usually the mirror of you inner metabolism and anything that disturbs your metabolism will have an impact on your hairs .(disease ,stress ,chemotherapy ,etc...).

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
My Norton plugs are still going strong.;;D

J

James1

Valued member
Must say,that I have done research on hair transplants as well and it seems it varies from individual to individual. Its just one of those things!

Good luck

Westcoaster

Westcoaster

Appreciate all the answers, any idea of what percentage of patients experience this?

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Westcoaster,i don`t think any study/survey has ever been carried out.

B

Bastion

Hair Transplant clinics will have on record patient case`s with poor yield... however they won`t want them posted on public forums as it can give the wrong impression of the overall work performed at said clinic... that said... there are plenty of patient testimonials that document consistent bad work from certain clinics. These clinics should be avoided at all times.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Yes on occasions poor yield/growth can occur from any clinic,this is the risk of having any type of surgery.However doing your research and choosing a doctor you believe to be right for you will reduce these risks.

Westcoaster

Westcoaster

Hi,

I`ve started a Rogaine Foam regimen applying twice daily.. I know it works especially well on the crown area. However, I was wondering if it can achieve results in the frontal zone too?

more

more

Valued member
Westcoaster wrote:
Hi,

I`ve started a Rogaine Foam regimen applying twice daily.. I know it works especially well on the crown area. However, I was wondering if it can achieve results in the frontal zone too?

i was wondering the same thing

Sparky

Sparky

Valued member
I havent seen my Norton plugs since 2000. The grafts that were put round them wernt great but they were a lot better than his sh1te, and at least the pattern was more random, Nortons looked like soldiers lined up.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Some people do get results in the frontal third with rogaine,this however is not the norm.

I would give it a go and see what happens.