• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Is generic finasteride as effective as Propecia?

H

headon

Valued member
I have been on generic Finasteride for about 11, 12 years. Never taken Propecia. Never taken any other meds. I have had multiple transplants over the years. Any thoughts about meds in general ... and is it worth my switching over to Propecia at this stage. Any LINKS relating to this topic would be appreciated/
thank you...

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
What’s the reason you’re thinking of for switching? It is usually people switching from Propecia to a gerenic to save money.
if the generic Finasteride is still working I would leave as is.
I was on Proscar, then switched to generic finasteride, been on them for 15 years.

H

headon

Valued member
Hi Big Mac. I am assuming that the Finasteride is working, but I've heard (Some Forum a while back) that the generic is not as good as Proscar. Bigmac... If you switched from Proscar to Finasteride 15 years ago, I take it you didn't see any difference..? I am actually, on the advice of my HT surgeon (who lives in States) seeing a top dermatologist by the name of (Professor) Rodney Sinclair to assess my hair along with a possible change of regime in terms of changing my medication. In any case it's good to hear that you switched over from Proscar to Finasteride and you're happy with that. Appreciate your imput.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I`ve heard people say they switched to generic and it never worked as well. However, I think this is a small percentage as most people I believe now use generics and the complaints are few and far between.
I switched as it was cheaper and the Finasteride was easier to acquire.
I`ve not really noticed any difference, I`m still maintaining my hair, it could be slightly thinner but it`s hard to see a difference.
It would be great if you could let us know what professor Sinclair advises.

What`s the reason you`re looking at switching?

H

headon

Valued member
I will update you once I see Sinclair. (Have you heard of him ~ Professor Rodney Sinclair. He actually operates out of my home town here in Melbourne Australia. My HT Doc in the US recommended him. What`s my reason I`m looking at switching? Just the fact that I've been on the same regime for over 10 years and things and opinions change. But I won't do anything until I see Sinclair and get his advice. He may suggest something totally different.
Thanks again for your feedback, much appreciated.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I’ve not heard of him but I’ll do some research. It may be that he advises to stay as is.
I’ll await his findings.
Good luck with it.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
I see he sells a hair loss solution named the hairy pill. His site does not state what ingredients are in this pill and the results are different lighting and hair lengths, this does not provide a true comparison.
I am guessing these pills are some form of multi vitamin and possibly contain Finasteride.
Anyhow, I hope he can provide you with a useful diagnosis that you can share here.

H

headon

Valued member
Having been on this HT journey for over 30 years I am pretty cynical and overly-cautious with all claims regarding hair loss. I am just wanting to get a diagnosis from him which I will then forward to my guy in the USA.
thank you again...

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
It is good to be cautious and doing plenty of research.

H

headon

Valued member
It's been a long long journey... in a word RESEARCH is key! Thanks...

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
I`ve been using generic finasteride without any problems.

H

headon

Valued member
That's good to know bullnut. I appreciate your feedback. *I see your HT Doc is also my HT Doc. Read your experience with SMG, I had a similar experience. I was meant to be heading back there early this year for my final 'repair' but of course, COVID has put a stop to that for ... who knows how long. best to you.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I thought Finasteride was the active ingredient in all variations of the original Propecia pill so there shouldn't be any difference if the dosage is the same unless there are different grades or strengths.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Some people have claimed the drug was not as effective when they switched from Propecia to a generic. Maybe they just needed to give it more time or received a faulty batch. I can only go by what I`ve experienced and the results I`ve seen in others, generic works fine.

bullitnut

bullitnut

That's good to know bullnut. I appreciate your feedback. *I see your HT Doc is also my HT Doc. Read your experience with SMG, I had a similar experience. I was meant to be heading back there early this year for my final 'repair' but of course, COVID has put a stop to that for ... who knows how long. best to you.

Shapiro Medical is world class.... They did a fantastic job for me. I just took another read of your journey, best of luck with the final surgery when it happens.

Kevboy

Kevboy

Valued member
I`ll stick with the generic as the general consensus is that it works just as good.

bullitnut

bullitnut

Good luck with your next surgery Headon please say hi from me to the lovely guys at SMG when you go back dude.

H

headon

Valued member
Good luck with your next surgery Headon please say hi from me to the lovely guys at SMG when you go back dude.
Absolutely bullnut. I am hoping to have an online consult soon. But might be a while before I see them due to virus.