• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Is it too late to do anything?

J

Jax

Hi, I am 31 years old. Been losing my hair since I was 18 years old, norwood 3 by 23 year old, and now norwood 5ish?
I have never taken any medication for my hair loss, just shaved my head since 23, I got SMP done at 24 years old, so 7 years ago now. It has faded a lot since, so not overly obvious in the picture of the top of my hair, you can maybe make out the faint greyish colour to my temple areas. It looks ok when it is shaved down, not obvious as it isn't dark.
Anyway I am a slight crossroads now between getting the SMP lasered off completely and just accepting my fate. The other option would be to potentially start on fin, hope for no side effects, get a FUE transplant to thicken my front third, and carry on shaving every other day. Like I said, I quite enjoy a shaved head look, but I feel a hairline is important just to frame the face, I am not overly fussed about the crown. SMP doesn't look good unless you have some hair at your hairline to offset it, which is why I have never got it redone.
My reservations from the reading I have done, is that shaving post FUE procedure isn't a good idea, noticeable scars on back of head, and possibly hair follicles looking to thick at front, but I don't think this would be as much of an issue, if I shaved down every other day.
I just wondered what peoples thoughts were. I am worried my donor area may be too sparse as well, not really sure?
Thanks.

top head.jpgside profile, right.jpgside profile, left.jpgtop of head.jpgback of head.jpg

C

Coopman

Valued member
Observing your hairloss pattern Rogaine and Finasteride could work wonders after 6mths of treatment. You may not even need a HT for the time being.

Reactions: Jax
sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Yes as said an ideal medication candidate at present, so see how it goes but need to keep on it.

Reactions: Jax
J

Jax

Yes as said an ideal medication candidate at present, so see how it goes but need to keep on it.

Do you know if it is possible to shave your head after a FUE procedure or would the scarring at the back of the head be too apparent?

I like shaving my head short, I would just like my hairline/temple area rebuilding in the future with a FUE procedure.

Do you think this would be possible? Or would you advise against shaving head post FUE? And any thoughts on my donor site, or are the pictures not clear enough? Thanks.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
Hi Jax,

It depends on several variables, the skill of the doctor, tools used, extraction pattern, i.e is there a methodology in how they take the grafts or is it just random selection with no method. Also how you as person heal will play and part and how far down you can shave. I shave to 1mm which is very short but some will shave to 3mm which is a number 1 for example on the clippers.

Your donor looks good, possibly thinner in nape and above ears and a bit of length to it would show a bit more but be seen in person as and when relevant and get empirical data on your donor to see what it could give long term.

My case is here :-

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Jax. The hair loss meds are worth looking into, they could work well for you. As for shaving down after an FUE, there is the obvious risk of scarring being visible. Everyone heals differently, your scars may be more visible than the next guy who had exactly the same amount of extractions. The smaller the punch used and skill of the person doing the extractions will make a lot of difference. Your donor looks thin right now, it may be worth having an in person consultation to see what a doctor thinks and find out about your donor density.
Your SMP does not look noticeable from your pictures. Maybe just leave it as is as until you see how the meds go if you decide to use them.

bobsmith

bobsmith

Shaving head continuously is not a cure of hair loss, My friend was also facing the same issue, and he decided to keep his head shaved, but his hair loss problem did not cure. The good part is that he did not lose hope and remained consistent in eating well and healthy for treating it. The doctor advised him to increase the intake of natural foods rich in vitamin E. He also advised to take supplements which he get from Sports Inside , while it did not show the magic, but the impact of intaking it was worthwhile.