• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

Last Minute HT Questions

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

My ht is just around the corner and I want to ensure I have all of my bases covered; some of these questions are merely out of curiosity for those of you who have already had a ht or Janna who can inform me:

-THINGS TO HAVE/APPLY POST OP: I've seen long lists of things people reccomend to have post op (i.e. wear gloves over your hands when you sleep so you don't scratch your grafts, vitamin E oil, etc) H&W didn't reccomend or mention many of these. What if anything do you reccomend and was it essential?

- SHAMPOOING POST OP: this is something I never gave much thought before, but I read my post op instructions and shampooing is required w/in the first few days post op for a healthy recovery yet the grafts aren't "locked" in for at least 10 days to 2 weeks. How secure are the grafts and how gentle must you be?

-SCALP LAXITY: how do the dr.'s measure your scalp laxity prior to strip removal? I'm a little concerned because I haven't been consistent w/scalp exercises as their SUCH a pain to perform.

-SMOKING: is not smoking 7 days prior to my ht long enough to make a material difference in my vascularity and as a result aid in me having a normal healing process?

Last edited:
Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ng.

I`m looking forward to hearing all about your experience with Dr Hasson.

My post op regime was Graftcyte spray and a little antibiotic cream to rub on the donor scar.I healed just fine using these two only.

As for shampoo i used a a non medicated shampoo if i remember correctly.I know bullitnut is using tricomin shampoo which he says is very good..

What post op stuff has H&W advised for you.

Also do they still require bloodwork to be done as i guess yours may be 100% proof.Z:B

Cheers bm.

D

drmwamba

Valued member
Your grafts will be locked after 3 to 4 days.

First week of shampoo,just put the shampoo in your hands ,make it soapy and just dab it in your recipient area.Then pour gently water to rinse it.Second week ,gentle massage is OK (light circle motion ).Third week,be agressive.

If you can not quit smoking ,try to decrease it.Take vitamins ,use anagen stimulators to compensate the decreased vascularisation from your cigarettes and you should be fine.I have seen a lot of smokers with very good results.

janna

janna

Valuable Member
I second Dr. Mwamba's advice on at least trying to decrease your smoking intake. Smokers tend to bleed less during surgery so in that respect, you won't likely have a problem with bleeding for the staff.

It'll all be fine. You'll be in good hands.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
NG,

Hopefully H&W provided you or will provide you with a post op regimine.

I used graftcyte spray which worked excellent on the recipient area. I also used vit. E in the donor area. I used a large juice pitcher in the shower for about a week. I just filled it up and rinsed my hair that way. Shampoo was applied delicately for 1st week.

I also recommend taking 3000mg of MSM as it seems to help aid in the growth and health of the hair.

NN

P

plugs&co

Valued member
Don't worry NG2GB ask for valium for the night before. Tablets will be given for 5-days after H.t. If it's a 6 am start remember and go in the back stairs and if staying at the Granville island hotel get stuck into the beer.Also you can go outside for a fag anytime at H&W just don't tell them Plugs & co said so ¬b`.all the best NG2GB.

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
N2...

I just used a normal shampoo post op, I was so paranoid for the first few days of touching anything. I filled the sink with luke warm water then added just a small splash of a normal shampoo... tilted my head back and poured it on my forehead and let it run over my head using a plastic cup several times.. I did this for the first week and it seemed to work for me... though I will say that I ended up with water all over the place !!

During the second week I did the same but poured the water directly onto my head...

Something I will say is that I was advised not to take vitamins for 7 to 10 days pre-op ??

As for sleeping... after several days of not sleeping properly due to the staples I found that a painkiller called Tyranol Night (or called something similar)..worked well with a couple of beers !!

and one more thing.... I found out to my horror that my baseball cap showed off my bloody staples through the vent at the back !!.... ended up sowing some cloth over it !! May be a minor point.. but one that caused me problems !

Anyway..... thats about it....

All the best

Tim

Last edited:
Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Timuk,

What happened with the staples showing?

NN

NotGoing2GoBald

NotGoing2GoBald

Thanks everybody. I leave one week from today, and I'm looking forward to it!

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
timuk wrote:
and one more thing.... I found out to my horror that my baseball cap showed off my bloody staples through the vent at the back !!....

Flying back home, a bit tired and on a painkiller or two I did find it kinda amusing to see the very official customs people that frisk you, check your shoes, rummage through your bag, scan your coat, watch etc, etc say 'please take your hat off'

(what you mean my very stylish, blue trucker cap from the 70s? - ok if you insist...)

and the look of 'what the f is going on with this guy's head'.

No more questions. Next.

Nervousnelly

Nervousnelly

The Coolest Member
Best of luck NG. I am assuming that you are flying out tomorrow. Keep up those scalp exercises and try not to touch the booze the night before. I am sure that will be the toughest part of this whole experience for you.

Take care bud.

NN

Baldspot

Baldspot

Valued member
Best wishes NG2GB. The exercises can help quite a bit so worth the effort - I did them resting back against the bed head while watching TV and that helped take the weight off the arms a little.

N

NW5a

Valued member
Hey,

i had the Biotin Spray and AloeVera Spray. The Aloevera Spray helps, if the scalp is itching. A loose Army Cap and a pillow for the neck.

Good luck

Attachments

• nackenhoernchen2b.jpg
    nackenhoernchen2b.jpg
    17.9 KB · Views: 429
timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
NN...

The baseball cap had a cut out at the back.. as my hair was too thin and short to cover the nice wound and staples they were on display... nice !! Like I mentioned I ended up buying some similar coloured cloth (YES COLOUR with a U).. and got some thread from reception....

I only just realised as I walked out of the hotel room, so ran back in and put a bandage on to hide them !!

Tim

PS... come on N2.... where are you ??

Last edited: