• Welcome to Hair loss Experiences hair loss forum.

Free impartial hair loss advice, hair transplant advice, hair loss medications and hair loss news.
    You can contact us directly at [email protected] if you experience any problems.

MSM

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Does MSM really grow hair or make existing hair grow faster?

T.C

T.C

Does anyone take MSM ? and does it make a difference do you think if taken regulary.What form is it taken in and what is the best brand in ?. I Might try it.

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Hi T.C.

When i was using this i purchased it from Holland and Barrett as it is quite cheap.

I dont think it actually done anything for me.I then found it even cheaper from simply supplements.

bm.

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
I have been on and off or MSM for nearly two years... cant say that I noticed any effect on my hair... but without a doubt it made my finger and toe nails grow faster...

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
I am on MSM, fingernails grow very fast, hair grows fast. I have mine short (hair and fingernails!) but a friend also on MSM noticed his hair was more shiney certainly and he has longer hair, so easier to see. Certainly I believe it helps, I take it with Saw Palmetto so hard to see what does what but it is positive and the sulphur content is good for other things also. Inexpensive and worth a try.

The only warning is if you have thyroid problems then may need to get medical advice as excessive sulphur can act as a goitrogen and effect thyroid action.

I take only 1 x 750 mg tab a day.

Last edited:
bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
i was on msm after my first ht with SMG and i noticed my hair and fingernails grew very fast too...everyone commented on how fast my hair grew at the back....i did however stop (dont know why), and have noticed my hair grows much slower since

Im going to go back on it i think..

Don't think it did anything regarding loss, but my hair felt healthier on it ;)

timuk

timuk

My member is cooler than NN's
MSM....

I dont use it now... but can say I noticed that my nails and hair grew faster than usual..

Think its a good thing post op for awhile.... but not sure about bothering with it long term.... still, each to their own...

Tim

DJNathan

DJNathan

I have read on other sites of people mixing MSM (sulfur) with a base oil and applying it to their scalp but I think it was for hair growth.

scepticsausage

scepticsausage

Hello new here, what is the correct daily dose for this product?. Great forum by the way.

sl

sl

BHR Clinic Patient Advisor
I take 750 mg a day, one could take more. The container will inform you of the correct dosage, I certainly take less than is deemed the upper safe limit.

bullitnut

bullitnut

4 awesome repairs with SMG
i used to take this and found it really helped speed up my hairgrowth....i stopped for some reason, might start again as it had no side effects

Bigmac

Bigmac

Administrator
Staff member
Its very cheap to buy from places like simply supplements.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
I remember reading about cysteine back in 1983 as it was brought to the forefront by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw in their book Life Extension. Eggs are very high in this amino acid along with being a natural way to increase sulphur in you diet.

I would just add more eggs to your diet, as food is the best way in my opinion to increase the sulphur content. Buying directly from a local farmer is always best. The fatty acid ratio of the omega 6 to omega 3 is more apt to be closer to 1:1 The shells should be naturally thick and the yolks closer to an orange color. This is due to the natural diet of the bird which is insects, worms and greens and not loads of grains which are high in omega 6 but cheap to use as feed.

L-CYSTEINE - Amino acid peptide bond constructing up to 18% of your hair that provides strength, shine and structure. Cysteine increases hair shaft diameter and hair growth density. Foods high in Cysteine include eggs, muscle protein, garlic, onions, Brussells sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, beans and milk. At least 500 mg. of this keratin-forming amino acid must be taken each day to even have an effect on hair. Cysteine is a powerful cell defender that acts as an antioxidant and also contains sulfur, known as nature's beauty mineral. A deficiency in sulfur is characterized by atrophied sebaceous glands which lubricate the scalp from the Essential Fatty Acids. Vitamin C in two and one-half times the amount of Cysteine, Vitamin B-6, and co-action of all 22 amino acids provide optimum use of L-Cysteine. In order for Cysteine to be effective it must synergistically work with ALL other aminos. A missing amino acid is like a missing building block that collapses the entire structure.

topccat29

topccat29

29 year HT veteran
I remember reading about cysteine back in 1983 as it was brought to the forefront by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw in their book Life Extension. Eggs are very high in this amino acid along with being a natural way to increase sulphur in you diet.

I would just add more eggs to your diet, as food is the best way in my opinion to increase the sulphur content. Buying directly from a local farmer is always best. The fatty acid ratio of the omega 6 to omega 3 is more apt to be closer to 1:1 The shells should be naturally thick and the yolks closer to an orange color. This is due to the natural diet of the bird which is insects, worms and greens and not loads of grains which are high in omega 6 but cheap to use as feed.

L-CYSTEINE - Amino acid peptide bond constructing up to 18% of your hair that provides strength, shine and structure. Cysteine increases hair shaft diameter and hair growth density. Foods high in Cysteine include eggs, muscle protein, garlic, onions, Brussells sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, beans and milk. At least 500 mg. of this keratin-forming amino acid must be taken each day to even have an effect on hair. Cysteine is a powerful cell defender that acts as an antioxidant and also contains sulfur, known as nature's beauty mineral. A deficiency in sulfur is characterized by atrophied sebaceous glands which lubricate the scalp from the Essential Fatty Acids. Vitamin C in two and one-half times the amount of Cysteine, Vitamin B-6, and co-action of all 22 amino acids provide optimum use of L-Cysteine. In order for Cysteine to be effective it must synergistically work with ALL other aminos. A missing amino acid is like a missing building block that collapses the entire structure.